Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

It was incredibly safe. When anyone would yell “hold fire” everyone stopped immediately and we could go down range and put up new targets or pick up our mess. Other parents were there with their kids teaching them how to safely handle their fire arms. The 2 main reasons we went were one, I hadn’t shot my .40 yet and 2, my neighbor was sighting in his .30-06 for hunting.

Zeb- it was really clean, there were no trash cans so everyone was responsible for what they brought in and took out. Casings and all.

Jeff – that picture I took was with him holding an empty gun. I just wanted to get a profile picture of him in that stance. The .40 does kick too much for him to handle. I would hold it while we shot together.

Smiddy – it would be if he didn’t have help and adult supervision.

Nicolaou- I’m not even going to dignify such an ignorant comment.

Yadda- you’ve shit all over some of my other posts in the past. You don’t have to comment if you don’t have anything constructive to say. Move on if you wish and shit on someone else.

I go shooting once or twice a year. Its fun. I love my second amendment rights. I am a concealed carry permit holder as well. I think we will go more often now that we know this place is here. For those of you who poo poo on shooting guns, why not try it once. If you don’t like it then don’t do it again. My wife is not a big gun lover but I got her to go shooting once and now she enjoys it. There’s something incredible about holding a fire arm and squeezing the trigger. For some, they just don’t get it.

A well armed society is a polite society.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

dazed and not confused

there is nothing wrong with teaching a young boy how to handle a gun. I have used guns in the past when it was a matter of survival and I am still here.

From the wilds of Canada

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Cool, would love to do clay pigeon here

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Truth- thank you.

Snare- i would too. Unfortunately, wood and clay pigeons or anything that would leave a mess are not allowed. About 1000 yards away however, there is an open field where you could shoot clay pigeons.

One day I would like to get a Mossberg shotgun and a clay launcher. I went clay shooting once. It was awesome.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Next, I would teach him how to make a car bomb.

It's all about safety. No sense taking a chance with a car-full of bad guys.

Rub a Dub

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Is this how the story's start about accidental inhome shootings when a boy accidentally shoots his friend showing him the guns in the house?

I hope you keep the guns in your house locked in a safe because one day if it's hanging around he'll want to show his friends how cool it is and then somebody will get hurt.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

End of mysteries

To prevent accidental killings is exactly why we should train young people on the proper use of fire arms. The guns in my house are unloaded but not locked up. What good is a tool if you keep it locked away.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I learned gun safety so long ago its an ingrained habit. You could wake me up in from a dead sleep in the middle of the night, hand me a gun and the first thing I'd do is check the action. Our house contained a number of guns, getting one out without permission was simply unthinkable. They also were neither a mystery nor cool. Kids that have been taught proper gun safety are not the ones to worry about.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Truth - where is ammo kept? Having a gun not locked up yet ammo locked up is no different.

What happens if your son is bullied at school? One day he cracks and grabs them then you have another school shooting.

Also look up the statistics of suicides and guns. It's much easier in a moment of weakness for you or another family member to end it in a split second when there is such a quick easily accessible method available.

I don't have kids but I am myself trying to decide should I get a gun or not. If I have kids also the same question.

I think statistically a person or their family is more likely to get killed by the gun from suicide, family fight, accident then ward off an armed intruder.

Those 3 above examples are the only thing holding me back from getting one so far. I absolutely don't think any of them would ever happen if I had a gun, but I doubt the thousands of cases each year thought so either.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

End of mysteries

Tell me about the safe in your house where you keep your car keys locked up so to prevent someone using them ?

/'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit