Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• designs
    designs

Truthseeker- I get your point of view. The congregation overseer that studied with me was All Navy Pistol Champ, he taught me and my brother to shoot on his ranch in Colorado.

Its the glaring 200 vs 10,000 figure that we need to address in this country.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Its the glaring 200 vs 10,000 figure that we need to address in this country.

But how do you go about doing that? The problem with comparing gun crime statistics with other countries is that guns exist in circulation in far greater volume here in the US. It isn't simply about legislation of guns(or the lack thereof), it's about accessibility.

I'm not a gun enthusiast, by any means. And I don't comprehend America's love affair with guns. But it's naive to think that passing gun laws similar to the UK will result in proportionate gun crime statistics, when guns are far easier to come by in the US.

• Viviane
    Viviane

There is also the fact that the second amendment will never be repealed.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What about a bow?

• designs
    designs

Keyser- here it is so woven into the mindset and culture of the Country to be 'Armed' it is a monumental task to even slightly modify the culture.

I would like to see mental illness addressed in this area. Maybe a renewable license with an examine and updated training in safety is a way to spot people with deterioating mental capacity.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Be carefull with the mental health issue . I`ve been in situations where killing frogs with a spear meant , ok now I can eat. I would have used a gun but it didnt seem practicle. Guns are tools!

• designs
    designs

I was thinking of the school shootings and people with mental health issues involved.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Dazed. When I see a young boy learning responsible gun ownership it makes me proud. Its no different than teaching him to cut grass.

It is just the way it is.

From the wilds of Canada

• TD
    TD
    The rationalisations for the prevalence of guns in the US is the result of cognitive dissonance. Even regular mass shootings in US schools doesn't seem to shift the confirmation bias....

With respect, if you are curious about this subject at an academic level, there are a lot of papers out there authored by bona fide professors of criminology. It is puzzling that you can see the bias of the NRA and not that of HCI. All the more so considering how often they've been caught in Watchtoweresque distortions.

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Thank youTD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit