Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

TD- coyotes are open season here with no permit required. Overpopulation. Didn’t see any.

See!! I'm telling you - custom drones. With night vision.

Damn coyotes. I hear they eat old people's medicine for fuel. An impossible problem to solve in 2014.

- Lime

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Jeff- i believe that would describe the area where i live. Lots of rural farm land.

I never had a father growing up to teach me the finer points of…well anything. Drunken looser who abandoned 3 of his kids to a cult following mom. I look forward to teaching him to drive, shoot and everything in between.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Upon reading - seems like Dazed scenario is a case where perhaps a less extreme technology could be used.

An opportunity for "artificial selection".

- Lime

• TD
    TD

TD- coyotes are open season here with no permit required. Overpopulation. Didn’t see any.

Same here. Urban coyotes have differentiated themselves enough from their wild forbearers at this point to be considered a true subspecies. They are bigger than German shepherds and twice as smart.

The hardest thing though is explaining to someone across the pond that you live on the boundary of thousands of square miles of primitive land that is sacred to the indigenous people who live here.

Someone asked me on this forum in all sincerity, "Why don't you just call a pest control company?"

How am I supposed to respond to someone who would not last one day here in the summer?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Sounds like you have given up, TD.

Given up on a smart solution while so much technology is readily at your disposal.

- Lime

• TD
    TD
    Sounds like you have given up, TD.

Not at all. What I have been doing for the last 50 years works just fine. It is much kinder than traps and many times better for the environment than poison.

But you would have zero real world experience with that.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I am curious now, how do the indigenous people fit in? Am I just imagining their proximity prohibits a more preferred solution?

(I, like most people have mouse traps in their garage, afterall)

- Lime

• TD
    TD
    I am curious now, how to the indigenous people fit in?

I'll be glad to flesh that out if it's a serious question.

Seriously though; how can you have a strong opinion on this topic and not understand it?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have gone shooting a few times, but I have to admit I did not get the enjoyment factor. I would go again if invited, but would never go without being a part of a group of friends. Perhaps you can invite me...

In any event. This is good experience for your son. Hopefully you have strong absolute rules with him playing with guns, and I am sure you do.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

You yourself identify the target as a smart species.

How can anyone form an informed opinion on a topic if those who do understand the topic won't speak up?

I'll freely admit I'm far more experienced in the realities of network communications - I make a living understanding how an old-school telephone can connect to a modern digital cellphone half-way around the world. That is the simply the expertise that life has led me to.

However, I also understand that if I shoot my cat everytime it does something wrong, my cat is dead. It learns nothing form being killed and never will, and it has no opportunity to create offspring. But based on the concepts of evolution, provided there is a reward for surviving your exteme punishment, you are teaching biology nothing more than how to outsmart you. Do you have a long-term solution to use biology in your favor, or is it just an immediate reaction without a long-term plan?

Attempting to rid the world of a species that doesn't behave the way you prefer will never work. Survival dictates that those who survive will be the ones you fail to kill. You train them only to be better at the thing you wish they didn't do. To create artificial selection that works, you have to ensure those that survive are rewared for the behavior you prefer.

With every coyote you kill, you've only weeded out one of the thousands that wasn't smart enough and that won't pass on it's less-than-smart-enough genes.

I would think the question is: How do you take control of that situation? How do you make dumber coyotes.. that don't need to pursure livestock, etc.

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit