Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• scary21
    scary21

Grace, thanks for the prayer. You are so thoughtful, kind and mouthy. lol

LisaRose, I love going to flea markets and antique shows. This one sounds really cool . Great for people watching too.

Sherry

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Antique shows are fun to wander around. My favorite is the Winter Antiques Show in New York All the pieces are museum worthy. The prices are astronomical. I met a woman in PA at church that was able to pick up real couture clothing at bargain prices through auction. My college girlfriend was entrepreneur. She specialized in Mexican sterling silver. I helped her at a gifts show at the Javitz Center. All the hard work setting up for one or two days. Jewelry looks so much better under very bright lights. I was able to roam the show looking for discounts which are illegal. The flooring was so hard that I ended up with cramps in my legs. I was a secretary between college and law school. Every day I cried my heart out. Doing gift shows would be preferable. I tell a merchant now when I like their merchandizing.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's a lot of work, for not much money, but for me it's just something I love. I am at an awkward age, too young for social security, too old to start over in a different career. I had a corporate job, but when I got laid off I didn't really see sitting at the cube farm writing code for another fifteen years, so I turned to this, I had always had a little side business. In Colorado I had a shop in a co-OP, I did pretty well, but it's much harder to find a place to sell here, so show were an alternative.

There is something addictive about buying and selling. There is no greater feeling than setting off for a morning of estate sales with a pocket full of cash. You never know what you are going to find. Sometimes you find that screaming deal on something wonderful, sometimes you don't find much, or worse buy that dog you end up selling for half of what you paid for it. Mostly I buy junk that I do things to to make it into something wonderful. I work a lot with graphics and typography, I love old French typography.

• Violia
    Violia

Thought I'd bring this back to the top.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Thanks, Violia, I was just on the hunt for this thread!

Lisa, you are making the little wheels in my mind start to spin...I used to buy and sell antique furniture and had such fun going to the auctions and sales. I'm hating life in an office knowing that I'll be stuck there for over half a decade but haven't yet figured out what I can do to get out. Monthly expenses prevent me walking away but I can cut my hours back a bit if I have to...to go to estate sales, perhaps. My alternative thought right now is to get a real estate license...everyone tells me I'd be good at it...sigh...what to do, what to do...

(((hugs)))

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

CultBgone,

Research the real estate license. An older friend at church's daughter made 3 million on home sales in strange area of PA, 2 hours from Philadelphia. The second year she earned $0. The market fell out. She thought it would always be good.

I wonder how people who don't receive income from a job know how to budget money. Your income differs so much. A friend had a nightmare with taxes.

I'm considering going solo. It scares me. There seems to be a difference between women and men. Most men could not wait to go solo. I remain the little girl with her allowance. I must grow up.

I want to find middle class auctions in the NY/NJ area and pick up couture clothing. Maybe my size is a problem. I used to be a sample size-many years ago.

• Violia
    Violia

I don't think the meds they have me on for my diabetes are going to work. Sigh. The doc is growing weary of side effects but what can you do? It either helps or it does not.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Viola, what meds are you on?

Cultbgone, yes, it's an addicting business, but hard if you need a steady income. Ten years ago I got laid off from my corporate job. I didn't really want to spend the next fifteen years at the cube farm writing code. I was a systems analyst, but without a degree the opportunities were limited, especially in the industry I was in. I am lucky my husband was supportive, he sees the value in what I do, even though it doesn't make a lot of money.

I am down in southern California. My brother is doing better, it seems the crisis is past, although the long term outlook is not that great. He has multiple myeloma. It's a cancer of the blood, the mylomas go all throughout the body into the bones and cause problems in the kidneys as well. I am glad I came, my brother is doing well mentally, but I think my SIL is struggling. She is trying to juggle all this appointments with her contact job in a nearby town, not always easy to do. I am taking him on his appointment tomorrow, which will take some stress off of her.

My heart breaks for my brother, he is only 61, too young to be that sick, he looks 75, he lost a lot of weight, he is on heavy duty pain meds.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Viola, check out this free website: WWW.Eatrightontario.org. It features free qualified help for those with Diabetic issues. The American Diabetes Association has some good tips as well.

I'm a type 2 Diabetic. Some times I have good days and bad days. You can PM me if you wish

• Violia
    Violia

Lisa and Quarter rest of gang

I am on Bydureon . It is a sub Q weekly injection . I am also on farxiga 5 mg. It is a pill that helps the kidneys and remove sugar via urination. The Bydureion works by slowing the transit time of your food , thereby keeping the sugar from hitting the bloodstream so quickly. The unfortunate side effect it has for me is stopping the gastric Peristalsis and thus, food goes in but is not coming out without me taking massive doses of laxatives. This is leaving me feeling very tired and sick all the time. I told the doc but she insists I try it for a month. I am also supposed to see a GI doc next week. I think this med is just not for me. I used to take Byetta ( Bydureion is just time released byetta in a Sub Q form) but all it has done is raise my blood sugars and I have gained 5 pounds. The farxiga forces me to drink a lot of water to keep from having side effects.

I am just fatigued nauseated and all of that all the time. In the middle of all this the doc is getting my thyroid adjusted. it was hyper for over a year. I think it is better but we need to raise the dose a bit more. For some reason the doc feels these side effects are the result of just not trying hard enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit