Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I gave up wheat a year ago, my body just can't handle it, so that has helped me immensely. I am doing paleo, so no rice or oats, I can eat almost and coconut. I do eat some dairy if it's lactose free, I found a really good organic brand. It's not paleo, as its not raw or grass Fed, but it's as close as I can get. I am enjoying eating fresh, whole foods with little to no processed food. I have just learned to do without bread.

Glad to have another member of Gracies Gang

• Violia
    Violia

LR, our digestive issues are very similar. I have diabetes and find the limitations on fruit awful. I have tired low carb diets back when Atkins first unveiled his ideas, i think it was in the 60's or 70's. Those extreme low crab diets are not really safe as the high protein diets can damage your kidneys. I get kidney pain every time I have ever tired the Atkins diet. I have heard of the paleo. I think Governor Mike Huckbee was on a diet similar to this, on which he lost 100 pounds. He said he only ate food that was food 100 yrs ago. So basically all processed & packaged food was out. I think that is interesting. He has regained a lot of weight having to be away from home a lot. Fast food is a killer.

Graces Gang, yeah.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's not super low carb, the carb amount varies depending on your activity level, I can have potatoes and butternut squash, a little fruit, but not grains or legumes. I can also have butter, olive oil and coconut oil. The theory is that we have not really evolved enough to digest grains. I was a bit skeptical, I am still not sure I buy it, but it does work, I feel pretty good, my pants are looser. Protein is moderately high, not that much more than a normal diet. I usually have sausage, veggies and an egg for breakfast, a hearty salad for lunch, and meat and two vegetables for dinner plus a little potatoes or butternut squash. I am eating at least five servings of vegetables, so it feels pretty healthy. No sugar, that was been hard at first, but once you are off sugar, the cravings stop. I was pre diabetic on my last blood test, so being able to get my blood sugar under control was major for me. Regular diets just left me hungry and cranky, or aggravated my other issues, so it feels good to be able to feel better and loose a little weight.

I have tried the typical high fiber, low fat diet, it just doesn't work. I would have a low sugar granola, fruit and low fat milk, but by 10:30 I was hungry and grabbing the first junky thing I could find. Now, I have bacon, veggies and an egg and I can last until noon, and still be able to eat with control, I don't get the sugar highs and lows because I am eating enough protein and fat, and not a lot of carbs. At first it is hard to believe you will not gain weight eating that much fat, but you don't.

The book I got has different versions of the diet based on your health issues, I am following the fibromyalgia version.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am a Type 2 diabetic. The diets drive me crazy. When I comply with the ADA diet, I crave carbs and cheat. It makes me feel as though I have no self-discipline. I tried the Bernstein low-carb diet this past year. To kick it off, I made real recipes and put flowers and good china on the table. My carb cravings disappeared. I thought this was impossible. Drinking cream and eating steak seemed odd. I lost more than 10 lbs without counting calories. The fifth or sixth month, however, I was tiring of the heavy food. I started dreaming about a small portion of strawberries or blackberries. Something light and juicy. I ate the fruit. All I did was eat fruit. Could not stop. I graduated to cakes and cookies. Whatever gains I made, I lost. Now I am trying to find a more balanced approach.

Oh, I was not candid with my mds concerning the low-carb diet. Nutritionists hate it. When I finally told them, they thought it was great that I tried it. They were on it, too.

• talesin
    talesin

Woo hoo! It is not easy being 'of a certain age' and single.... the pickin's are slim ... what a great club!

The diet discussion ... hmmm..... I have been following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for about 10 years. I started getting very sick from wheat, and with elimination methods, discovered that all grains can't be digested by my fussy system. This is great for anyone with bowel problems, such as IBS, and also for my fibro. I have only had one flare since I started eating this way ........ sugar is also verboten, but maple syrup and unpastuerized honey are okay ........ check it out by googling Elaine Gottschall.

:)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is similar to paleo, I can have maple syrup, just small amounts.

I had a fun, non diet thing to share. I sent a letter to the lady who does the pets and wildlife column in the paper about my cat Lizzie. I couldn't figure out why she would sit behind the TV until we watched Phantom of the Opera. She was back there because that's where the speakers were, she likes music. She loved the movie and stayed near the TV the entire time. So they published my letter this week in the paper. It turns out some cats do like music, who knew? She is the smartest cat I have ever had, she does a lot of unusual things, this is just one of them. Yes, I admit it, I am a crazy cat lady.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wish I could be a crazy dog lady! We never could have dogs growing up b/c my JW, Bethelite father would abuse them. Strangely, dogs he never met before who were ordinarily docicle would attack him out of a crowd of 30 relatives. When he died from heart disease, my mom let us have a special gift. I had a guitar, my brother a tennis racket of good quality, and my younger sister received a fox terrier puppy that she named Rascal. We were smitten with Rascal. Unlike the other dogs, she very much wanted to be part of our pack. Now I know she was too much alpha. I like to think her behavior was unique. The extended JW family loved her, too.

It amazes me that you can purchase love and companionship -- and floppy silky ears.

• Violia
    Violia

My cats are wonderful companions. They will walk in front of me to guide me to the bathroom. I call them my healing cats. They are so sweet. They are like me, getting a bit older and a little grouchy at times.

• talesin
    talesin

My gurl used to run up to the TV every time a certain nature PSA played - it had chickadees singing, and she would watch intently .... :) She got bitten by a tick in September, and had to say goodbye to her January 15, as she was being slowly poisoned by a neuro-toxin from the tick. I have been a crazy cat lady since I was a kid *grins*. In the fall, I'm going to apply to be a foster mom for the local no-kill shelter. I don't think I could lose another feline companion, after what happened to my Blue. But taking care of the tiny ones, till they find a fur-ever home, would be wonderful, I think!

• talesin
    talesin

BOTR - I moved, have been very ill, but getting better. Hope to talk soon! xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit