Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Life is tough when you've spent your best years in the borg...how do you reconnect when kids are grown and you're close to retirement age?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello CultBGone... I do not know how long you have been "out".

This morning at 5 AM marks 2 years since I read Ray Franz's book Crisis of Conscience and was mentally "out".

I have done a lot of living in these past 24 months. It has been a painful journey to Freedom, one I as a born-in, had never anticipated.

What joys, just around the corner, I would have missed if I had stayed JW.

There have been a lot of tears and loneliness and then I listened to what others on JWN said. Get your hiney out there and meet people.

On this Anniversary Day for me, I can say I am so happy and busy with Life.

I live in a capital City, so there are lots of things for me to do.

I have joined Clubs and Society's that interest me and give me joy.

I am so busy now.

I am listening and enjoying the latest "Hits". I do not want to listen to old music. I enjoy the thrill of the new.

I do not think old. I do not act old.

I am having the best time of my life.

How are you and how are you doing?

LoisLane

• whathappened
    whathappened

It is difficult. I left three years ago and all my lifelong friends are now not allowed to talk to me. I go to movies and go mall walking, etc. it does get lonely but you can't go back to a cult, you know.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

No way I am going back. It was lonely there being a single mom, didn't "fit in" for dinners with families and all that. Even though three in my family pioneered, we were not invited to many of the get-togethers over the years.

I can handle being alone, but it would be lovely to have social companionship. I love people and it would be great to have someone to hang out with, at the very least.

• humbled
    humbled

Listen to Lois!

Hey---she used to be the go-to-ear on the Pacific side if you were having insomnia from the mid-west to the east---waiting for the Brits to wake up.....

But she really has gotten busy on the OUTSIDE of the cult and touches down not quite as often.

I am happy for you, Lois!

I'm having a slower crawl out of things than I thought--there are layers of stuff to clear off. But I'm moving on, moving on...

All the best, friends..wish I lived closer

Maeve

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Thank you all for your kind posts. I am not feeling sorry for myself, or wishing I was back in the borg, and I no longer miss the false friends, but it's been difficult as I still have a jw adult child living with me. My old school chums I've looked up are wow so boring, although a few of us hang out once or twice a month. Can't really join a bunch of clubs and such as I work full-time with no hope of retiring for another 5 years...just really hoping to find others in a similar position to hang out with on the weekends and some evenings. I'm horribly social, love to cook, am open to lots of activities, just having trouble finding anyone in my area. Have been listening to "worldly" music for decades as do my adult jw kids. Never was really an issue in our house. No longer have guilts about what I watch or listen to, I am my own person. Just a lonely one, and don't wish to spend the next 20-30 years alone!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

My mom is out and I couldn’t keep up with her if I wanted to. She joined some over the hill gang and they are always doing something, biking, tennis, skiing, cruises.

I keep telling her to be careful, because if she gets hurt and needs constant care I plan on putting her into one of those homes I saw on a 60 minutes undercover sting operation.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

What general area do you live in. It might help to spark some specific ideas.

-Aude.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

How about doing some voluntary work?

Charity shops, reading mentors, working in the local hospital coffee shop etc.... there are lots of opportunities in the UK and I guess it's the same in other developed countries.charities are short on money and need help.you could make a real difference.you would be so much more appreciated than you ever were in the Borg.

Go for gold.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been out 14 years, so my life is pretty normal by now. I am 59, my husband and I are empty nesters. We moved to the San Francisco bay area of California three years ago, there is so much to do here. wine tasting, museums, walking through the giant redwoods, the beach, San Francisco itself, it's endless. We like to eat out, go on day trips to nearby areas that have nice downtowns, or inland up to the gold country. Other than that we are home bodies. We read a lot. We just finished the landscaping of the back yard, we have been doing a little bit here and there, the previous owners had a brown thumb, so that has taken a while. We like to go to movies. My husband brother and sister-in-law live here too, so we are meeting them in the city for lunch tomorrow.

I have a small business fixing up old furniture and things, so that keeps me busy. Even though I don't have a paying job, it still seems like there isn't enough hours in the day sometimes.

I have a hard time meeting people as I don't work, but I have one friend here and I still keep up with friends from Colorado. We are also friends with some people at our local pub, it's around the corner from our house, so we go there a lot. I am a bit of an introvert, so I don't need a ton of friends. I volunteered to work on the Homeowners association, I have met a few people that way. Volunteering is a good way to meet like minded people and expand your social circle.

Don't worry, you will meet new people, and make new friends, you just have to get yourself out there and do things. If you want to have an email friendship, PM me, I would be glad to respond.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit