Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Just want to say Hi and and that I would like to join Gracie's Gang too. Just turned 50, 'the youth of old age' according to the saying. Started a business recently, which is scary at this point in my life, but it is energizing too. Enjoying my freedom from the Borg. Wishing everyone here the best and LisaRose-sending my positive thoughts to you and your brother.

• Violia
    Violia

Quarter, for whatever reason the site says it is " parked" by godaddy.

Lisa, glad to here your brother is OK, MM is tough, the treatments are very debilitating. I'm in Texas.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Violia, that must be rough, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease I guess. What kind of diet do they have you on? I am pre-diabetic as of my last blood test, which is partly what drove me to try Paleo. I realized I had developed quite the cookie addiction, way too much sugar plus the morning granola was doing me favors. I slowly weaned myself off the cookies and other carbs, it was hard, but I have adjusted and now eat substantially less sugar and empty carbs. As soon as I get back from my trip (driving home tomorrow), I am get back on it, I felt much better.

I also have intestinal issues due to the pain meds, I get bound up, but when I was on paleo diet I was fine. I couldn't realistically do the diet while out of town, plus traveling always throws my system off, so I am back to being bound up, I feel like I am going to explode. I will be glad to get home where I can eat better, plus I miss my cat, my husband and my comfy bed, not necessarily in that order, lol.

It was a good trip though, I was glad to spend some time with my brother, he appreciated the visit. And I mended a few fences with my in-laws, the last visit at Thanksgiving didn't go so well, I was not feeling well and was a bit grumpy, pain does that to you. And I got some good junking in, there was a flea market on Wednesdays here, very unusual, right by the beach. Today I did the rounds of the thrift stores here, then I went to a great antique shop they have that I always visit, it got me really inspired.

• Violia
    Violia

Lisa and others

I set down tonight and gave some very serious thought to what I am eating and how much. I am not really eating bad food-- well at times my hubby brings home take out and I know it always makes me ill. So, I looked at what I ate tonight. My husband does the cooking . I had coffee and lactose free milk and stevia for breakfast. I had an Atkins strawberry drink for lunch( not very filling, but 0 carbs and no sugar. I am starving at dinner. We have sautéed Salmon ( sauté in lemon and hickory smoke liquid -full of salt , but he uses it sparingly ) prepackaged snow peas and small potatoes in a microwave bag. I had blueberries and a lettuce , tomato salad with dressing, drank a diet coke. I was starving by dinner and I ate too much of the foods I did eat. I looked at the Carb count on the Pea and potato combo and 1 serving is 16 carbs. the lettuce salad was OK but the dressing is the killer. I ate 3or 4x the amount of blueberries I should have.So.....................

I pulled out my handy dish my doc gave me , the Tupperware one that is divided into 4 quads, protein, veg, fruit, grain. I am eliminating grain so I think I can take those calories and carbs and have more vegs or fruits. After I looked at it all, I just ate too much. I have never had this issue but the diabetes meds are increasing my insulin and it is making me hungry. Plus I should have ate breakfast. I know the Atkin drink fits the carb and sugar bill but I hate those kind of drinks and don't feel like I have eaten, I still feel hungry after about and hour.

I guess the way to proceed is to read all packages, keep the portions down to the size that will fit into THAT TUPPERWARE PLATE. Also I can substitute since I am not going to eat grains. I will be glad when the doc takes me off the injection as it raises insulin which is not working for me, raising my blood sugars and making me hungry and causing me to gain weight.

I hate to measure food but it appears I must. I can't continue this sick.

In the end the one of the meds the doc is giving me has to go. I have given it a fair trial and it is not working- it making things worse. this can happen, not every med works for everyone. I hate breakfast but have to force myself to eat. The fruit is addicting and I love it but it does have a lot of carbs in the amounts I am eating. I see the GI doc next week to see if there is a problem with my GI tract motility or it is just the meds. I think there is a bit of a problem. Plus I take several other meds that can cause slow GI peristalsis, so we will have to look at all meds. This is so stressful and 10 yrs ago when I was first dx'd I did not have to do this, but now I have diabetes for real. I have to check my sugar 2 hours after eating and see what it is after this meal. This is just exhausting.

I found a site that looks helpful. here is the link for everyone

http://www.tudiabetes.org/

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It seems that you are eating pretty healthy, but maybe just tinkering with amounts and timing. I found for me, the problem started with my breakfast, low sugar granola, fat free milk, blueberries. Sounds healthy right? But by ten I would be really hungry and grab the first thing I could find. It felt crazy to eat eggs, ham and veggies, even some olive oil. But I ended up eating less overall because my blood sugar didn't spike and I had more control throughout the day. It's hard to know sometimes, but eggs are usually good for me, there is a lot of good nutrition in an egg and no more blood sugar roller coaster.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Love all you ladies!!! Too tired tonight to write but wanted to share ((((((hugs))))))

• Violia
    Violia

OK my blood sugar reading 2 hours after eating is 165. That is approx what it was before eating. So it is too high, but I must have done something right tonight b/c usually it is 260-288 area after eating. I am eating a lot more than my portion allowed. The fish was twice the size they say you can have- the size of a deck of cards. I ate way too many blueberries but I think leaving out the grain helped. Portion control is what is wrong here. Also i agree, about breakfast. I drank a cup of coffee. That is not breakfast but is for me. I used to eat scrambled eggs and sliced tomatoes growing up. Southern people eat all kinds of nontraditional stuff for breakfast.

I have a tuna recipe that my mom used to make. You just dump a can of tuna, diced pickles, tomatoes, onions, apples, and chopped up boiled eggs and nuts of some kind into a bowl , add mayonnaise and mix. You can also add a small bag of lettuce or salad fixings into the mix. It is a great meal all in one.

What is wrong is the meds increase your insulin production and are increasing my appetite. This Sunday is the last injection I will give myself. This is it. I have had it with this medicine. We will have to try something else. I can't go on having to take all these laxatives .

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Thanks for the hug Cultbgone, same to you (((hug)))

Yeah I hear you about the meds Violia. I have one that caused me to gain thirty pounds in six months. Not fun having to keep buying bigger pants.

I am on pain meds, it binds you up, so I know what you are talking about there too.

The tuna sounds good, I have done something similar, but not that many ingredients, yours sounds better. Since I can't eat bread I need something easy when I don't have leftovers to eat. On the diet I am on I don't have to count calories or limit protein that much. They say if you are hungry to just increase fat. I had a hard time believing I could lose weight eating that much fat, but I did. The only problem is it made my bowels work a little too well. I think I just need to cut down a bit on the fat and I will be OK, I will see. I no longer have a gallbladder, which is where your body stores extra bile which you need for digesting fat, so maybe I just can't handle that much. I liked not craving sugar and not feeling hungry, but I can adapt I think. .

I am feeling pretty good right now so I am feeling very optomistic. Usually traveling is quite exhausting for me, but I felt good and slept well all week, so I hope it continues. I did lots of junking on my trip, so I have a lot of fun things to play with next week. I am planning to do the antique show again next month.

• Violia
    Violia

I understand about pain meds, I took opiates for 11 yrs. I ( with docs approval) tapered myself very slowly off them It took 3 months. I have been off them just 1 year now. I found that my pain level is about the same with or without them. I think I just got a tolerance to them. I ache and hurt everyday but unless this pain gets unbearable again, I will not take the meds. I have used other methods, steroid injections ( which do not help diabetes) procedures where they go in and "burn" the nerves and other things. My activity is very limited , I could not do this if I had to work . I have just settled into a life I am not happy with , but due to multiple health issues this is almost as good as it gets. I am going to try and take a stretching class at the senior center. I think it will help. I used to be the most active person but now my life is very quiet . It is not what I want but you can't always get what you want.

I am not in anyway implying that taking pain meds is not OK. I took them b/c I needed them . I hope you are getting relief from them.

well, I am up again b/c I can't sleep but will say

nite all.

• LV101
    LV101

Hi there - and I, too, would like to join if membership is still open. Some interesting talk - designor clothes, antique shows, health issues, great tuna recipe. I've not had time to really enjoy/read just a little hit and miss.

Believe earlier you were discussing low fat diets - as well as others. Anyone had success with the Weight Watchers version of low fat eating under their 'Simply Filling' version? I met a vegetarian who followed a modified version of it - no meat, of course, and it seemed to work. Seems everyone is doing Paleo and the wheat-free dieting today.

Any oil painters on board?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit