Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I saw some advice at the American Diabetes Association website. Some forum members test their bg after meals to see how certain foods are metabolized rather than take standard carb readings. They are into low carb meals. My endocrinologist said they were forcing their bodies into too low glucose readings. It is a place to vent.

Have you tried glycemic index meal planning?

Diabetes would be much easier if there were not so many arguments about it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Hi there - and I, too, would like to join if membership is still open.

Of course, there is always room for new members in Gracies Gang.

As far as dieting, I am always for doing what works, we are all different. I have had success with various diets, if you are restricting some foods you will usually lose weight in the short term, no matter which foods you are restricting. In the long term you will have to find a diet that you can stick with. Then you have various health issues that we all have as we get older, any diet will have to take that into consideration.

fruits and vegetables are important for virtually all diets, so that's a good place to start. If you are eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables you will just naturally eat less of the bad foods. I started looking for ways to add in more fruits and vegetables in my diet. They used to say that you should have at least five servings, more recent studies found those who had seven or more servings had a longer life span.

One trick I have is that whenever I go shopping I do an inventory of what ever vegetables are left from the prior week. I round them up, chop them with some onion, then salute in a little olive oil, then lightly steam until crisp tender. I put that in a container with a little vinaigrette. That way I have a nice cold salad to go with my lunch or any meal. Sometimes I add ham or another protein and that is my lunch. Leave off the vinaigrette and I can throw it in with my scrambled eggs in the morning.

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks for your info LisaRose and Band - I'm a tad short on the veggies and soak everything for salad and cut/separate romaine, etc., for fresh salads. It stays good and fresh w/each veg placed separately in zip lock for couple of days but got bored doing that. I devour fruit but realize those veggies are critical - it helps reading your info - guess it fires the brain. Spend my life running into markets picking up fruit. I'm basically trying to eat vegetarian which doesn't take too much effort for me. The acquaintance/friend who follows that Weight Watchers very low fat version made a comment to me that made sense - she said I didn't have to worry because I'm not overweight - well, I'd like to shake 5 lbs. off but I would never be able to do it until I stopped eating breads (I'm assuming she was talking about cereals, also, and didn't have time to ask her and she moved back to NY - I'm going to try to get in contact with her). I realize there's a huge difference between junk bread and steel oats but I think the fat content is too high for low fat eating although you could have it on their 'Siimply Filling' version because you can have extremely low-fat meat and non fat cheeses - yuk! I've got to get use to that non fat cheese. I eat very little meat because I don't like it unless it's bacon, delicious hamburgers, ribs. I do like chicken if it's grilled or oils/sauces and not too garlic'd up but love carbos. I've tried high protein and followed the glycemic eating program and I have too many books on that subject somewhere but too low-carb for me. I have to worry about the cholesterol altho my doc said my body probably just produces too much. Anyway, since I can't follow Atkins I'm trying low fat.

I can't function on a high protein, low carb diet. My body goes wacko but I need to replace some of the bad carbs with more nutrient dense ones. I try to stick to whole wheat, low fat pita bread and another bread with higher protein/fiber content. Her comment haunts me and the scale won't budge so when I read on her and elsewhere how low fat diets just don't work it scared me. I honestly don't think I can give up healthy grains and just live on veggies.

I'm going to dig out the veggie cookbook and pick up some portabello mushrooms and veggie burgers, veggie meatballs, etc., and try to kick one bread serving a day. I eat tofu and found a very low fat one at Whole Foods.

You're comments are inspiring - your career sounds awesome, LisaRose. I'd love to do something like that.

BTW Band - what do you consider designor clothes - I've given some of mine to contact and they've been sold on her website when she had it up and running. I'd love to have a business selling.

Me and another contact were going to Tucson (the world's biggest gemstone show) and we plunked down serious moolah and designed some incredible necklaces, few bracelets and were juried into art shows and actually did well although the website didn't list the eschelon pieces but the marketable-priced ones. Sold all of our 2-trips worth (not online) of investment but sunk it back in - ahhh, business! I would sell some of my 'to die for' pieces right off my neck thinking I could replace the various stones at my next Tucson trip - NOT! I'm still perplexed and have spent hrs. on line searching (short of going to India) for those particular pieces to work with! It's so much fun but have not done anything in couple of yrs. My associate comes to my rescue when i have to wear a 'to die for' piece with an outfit but were all so busy. Crazy!

Ahh, always challenging.

Wish everyone a beautiful day - time for coffee and face the day. Hugs to all!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, designer clothes. Not Michael Kors or Ralph Lauren. More in the vein of Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Lanvin. The woman at church at a Schiparelli coat. I know how to sew basic clothing. When I see couture clothing in the museum, I cannot believe that any human could sew so well. Other women gather around and discuss the construction. It is a female dense exhibit. I feel sorry for the straight men who are being dragged through it.

I wonder how people learn to handsew so perfectly. Cartier jewelry is the same way. I go look at vintage stores but I had better clothing as a teenager.

I don't have much storage space now. When I moved, I discarded a lot of clothing. Now I have to do laundry more often. Sometimes I wish I never set foot in luxury stores. I've lost 20 lbs in only a few mos. without trying. Replacing the clothing or paying for alterations is driving me crazy. Soon I will have to take meds to put on weight. A balance would be nice.

When I lived in Greenwich Village, I only purchased a few items from the grocery store. People did a grand tour of specialty food stores. I had no idea my concept of food was changing. Now I am travelling far just to purchase groceries. In PA, the local grocery store was owned by a local family. The produce and meat quality was so much better than the giant chain stores.

Tell me if you open your business. I don't know much about the business.

• LV101
    LV101

"Tell me if you open your business" - oops, Band, hope you're not referring to me and I apologize for any confusion. I gave some designor clothes to contact and she sold online. If this happens again I'll let you know the website. I usually donate them to one of the orgs I'm in and that's fine, too. I didn't mind this contact making the money off of them - seems like a time consuming endeavor and I certainly don't have the time. My have the Chanel bags gone up in price. Another addiction. I'm not into Michael Kors and can't stand Ralph Lauren other than capris and those shirts to work in at one of the women's orgs - not for anything more than grocery shopping and kitchen work. Love Channel - even Armani once in awhile. Dior - our Neimans used to carry their suits and one of my family members liked them - not me - but good prices. I have to confess last summer I was desperate for comfy flip flops - love the Tory Burch flippers, especially the wedge ones - anyway, just wanted to be comfy at beech and picked up a pair of Kors and so comfy - omigoodness! Their gold pair was sold out everywhere and I found online at amazon.com and since they were so hot they'd doubled the priced compared to dept. store. I'm such a Chloe handbag junkee and they're so heavy to carry - not good for the ole bod - I love the Balenciagas, too. If I part with these I'll let you know the website she puts them on - wish I had time in life we could have some more fun! Hopefully, I'll have more time in few months with any luck at all. Dropping one fo those organizations.

It's way to easy to become a "designer" junky. Lanvin - omigoodness/even their men's suits are one of my favs for husband. I used to pick them up in Milan because they had rows of selection and so limited here in comparison.

I'm tired of getting acrylic paint on my hobby clothes - any inexpensive brand suggestions - capris, tops out there I can ruin in one wear? Too hot to wear painting apron - the oil paint is horrendous on play clothes.

• LV101
    LV101

best flip flops are Prada and Chanel rubber flip flops, too - but for around the house those Kors were right on the money/comfy. Actually, the best for beach leisure and bouncing around walking are those Havianas - all different colors and decor on straps - too fun and wedge ones, too.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am a diabetic. & your ALL so much help..... I think you a GREAT!!!!!!!!!Bunch Honest

• LV101
    LV101

mouthy - seems diabetes is a growing epidemic in this country. One has to really be cautious with their diet as you know.

Keep care and be good!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have always wanted the classic black lambskin quilted Chanel bag. The price has soared over the years. I want the Chanel bag more than an Hermes bag. My feeling is that it might be mugging bait.

Hi, Grace. My diabetes if not doing so well b/c of my thyroid condition. Also, the kitchen in my new apt is very small compared to my old one. I must flee for my sanity. Newark is so ugly. I am going to start looking for another apt next week. Hopefully, a doctor will give me some cover for breaking my lease. I wanted to save money to go to events in NY. My sister is going to help. Most of my things were never unpacked. Right now I would like to find Piers Morgan and others in the media who trumpeted the Newark Miracle. It is so much better than it was. I was away for so long. If I were investing in real estate, I might invest here.

This go round must last for a long time. I am walking the neighborhood, inspecting the grocery stores, etc.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Gracie, glad you are enjoying the thread.

LV, get some clothes at the thrift store or garage sales, then it doesn't break your heart if you ruin something. I am always out looking for inventory so that's where I get my craft clothes. There was a lady cleaning out her closet and getting rid of things, some never worn, I picked up a number of things for $1 or $2 a piece. Some were nice enough to make it into my regular wardrobe.

I can't afford designer wear, but I do admire good construction. I buy old linens, the workmanship is amazing, many times they are thread crochet, it must have taken them hundreds of hours, but there isn't much of a market for these things anymore, people just don't entertain formally, so you can pick them up relatively cheaply. I like to buy those that are a bit tattered or stained, then rework them into something. I like to sew a doiley to a pillow to make a pocket, then tuck in vintage ephemera and fabric roses, sometimes I attach a vintage pin. It's like a collage. With other pillows I print vintage images onto the fabric, then use that to construct a pillow. The possibilities are endless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit