Any seniors looking for association?

by cultBgone 148 Replies latest social relationships

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I purchased some wire ribbon roses tied to a linen pillow. It was not cheap. I saw them in Victoria mag. They are so romantic. The problem is that they clash with everything. I loved doing hand sewing. Victoria magazine led me to a South African drawn work book. I had a fit when I saw the origin of the book. It should have been returned b/c of apartheid. The author had photos of intricate drawnwork done by a 10 year old girl. I tried so hard. Years later I read a newspaper article where the author complained about the same photo.

In fact, I tried to track down an American embroidery guild before the Internet.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I stumbled into my love for Vintage from reading Victoria. I started out doing dried flowers, I began to hunt for vintage teapots and things to use for my flowers, then I started buying small pieces of furniture to use for displays. When the craft malls died out I went to antique malls. I had a small shop in a coop in Colorado. It was great, we had centralized checkout, I only had to be there six days a month, we took turns. I had about 400 feet and did a pretty good business. I haven't found anything here that works as well, so I am doing the Monthy market at Alameda.

• Violia
    Violia

An update- Saw GI doc and he was appalled my Endo had told me to take laxatives everyday. He prescribed LINZESS which is used for IBS with constipation. A previous drug, Zelnorm, was taken off the market a few yrs ago. So far this is working. I hope to be able to get back on the Victoza instead of the Bydureon. It is not controlling the blood sugars . So one more brick in the wall. I hope a month from now to be somewhat stable on these meds. I am so exhausted and drained from having to take large doses of laxatives daily( this at my endo's order). My pharmacist said find another doc and I just may do that. Thank goodness for the GI doc.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had to be put on another medication for constipation. It is starting to be painful now. I have other md appts to keep. These are not bright doctors.

. I have to flee this city. My plan was to just crash here. When I go past my old schools, family home, etc. panic attacks result. This place is very ugly. Nothing is convenient b/c merchants refuse to locate here. I never realized how my world became upscale when I attended college. One good thing is that I cannot recall where our KH was. There are few grocery stores, dry cleaners, drug stores, etc. The commute to NY is fine, though. I go from one station to another. There is a big difference between a three hour commute and half an hour.

As soon as this medical stuff is over, I am going to start looking. Now I know I can't scrimp on a place. I never unpacked fully. It was so much fun throwing an accumulation of stuff. I bring it in and don't take it out. The hard choices are left. I need to get extra bookcases. My Christmas ornaments, books, and art work are important to me. I used to do laundry every two weeks. Now I am down to a few pieces.

• scary21
    scary21

First time in my life that I had to call 911. I thought I was a goner. I felt very dizzy so I laid down for a while. When I got up the room was going back and forth. I craweled to the phone and dailed 911. They asked me if I could open the front door so I again crawled to open the door and just laid there in my underware ( mens xlg v neck white T, and panties ) with the door wide open. Then I broke out in a sweat and started throwing up.

After all the tests at the hospital, turns out I had a severe attack of vertigo. I think mine was caused by a virus. It's been a week and I am finally feeling like myself. It was very scary for scary Sherry !

It could have been worse, I was like 1 min. from getting into the bath. Hubby and I were going to go out for dinner. I could have been naked ! OMG.

I had the nurse ask my husband to bring me some PJ's to wear home. I have some really nice ones. That's one of my things, I love PJ's. He brings the oldest crappiest ones I have. He must have found them under 10 pairs of beautiful ones. They were ones I use to dye my hair in....lol lol lol WHY ? ha ha ha....see I'm feeling better and can laugh again. Nothing like a trip to the ER to give you a new lease on life.

Hugs to all you Gracies gang of girls Sherry

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Sherry, that is really scary, wow, I am glad you are OK. My husband is prone to attacks of vertigo, it started after he had a virus, but since then he has attacked every now and then. I noticed it seemed to happen more in the summer and also when he was eating salty things. He is trying to drink more water, that seems to be helping. Sometimes it's from crystals in the inner ear. There is a procedure to reset the crystals that you can do at home, or the doctor can do it. Hopefully you won't need to do it, but it's really simple if it turns out that is the problem.

About the tatty PJs, that sounds like something my husband would do, you said to bring PJs, I brought them., what's the problem?

Violia, how are you doing? I have some of the same issues, mostly due to my pain meds, they bind you up. The pain clinic told me to take 8 Sennacot a day which did nothing, I was constantly backed up, very painful. My urologist told me to take Miralax instead, which helped quite a bit, but I still had some issues, so I tried the gluten free. Things were good , then I went Paleo (no grains), and I got the runs. So I stopped that, now I am back to being backed up. There seems to be no happy medium, it's one or the other. I am overdue for a colonoscopy, so I am going to get that done, I am beginning to think there is something wrong, I hope not.

I have been busy in my yard, I made a potting bench, I am kind of proud of it. Now I have a place to pot plants and keep my garden things handy. I used scrap wood and an old window. I am not much of a woodpecker, but it was pretty simple. Today I planted five kinds of mint, I love mint. I wanted to take pictures, but my batteries were dead, so hopefully tomorrow.

I hope everyone had a nice Easter. My hubby and I met his brother and sister-in-law for brunch. It was nice, on the harbor in Saucilito, the weather was unusually warm, we had a seafood platter, with crab, shrimp and mussels. I didn't use to like mussels, but they are so fresh and good here, with garlic butter, very yummy. I had a glass of Chardonnay, it was a good meal.

• scary21
    scary21

LisaRose, Violia , BOTR ,have you tried PRUNES ? I swear it works better than Miralax. My morning cramps and constipation has gotten better then it was. For a while I ate about 10 a day. Works great and I like them .

BOTR, I have 11 bookcases in my house...lol one is a small one hidden in the attic with old JW books...haha I too have the orange paradise book.

I am still not totally unpacked from my move in NOV. Just one thing after another.....not into it and I hate it here . I try to be upbeat about it but this place sucks. BOTR would die if she had to live in MS. LOL LOL lol lol ha hahaha I know not funny !

Sherry

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Prunes, Yes, great idea! I was using that for a while, I just stopped taking them because I was trying to lose weight, then I forgot all about them. I will go back to eating prunes.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Any updates from Gracies Gang? How was your week?

It was a so so week for me. My swiffer mop thingie broke, so I decided to upgrade to a model with a tank for the cleaner, I was tired of walking around with a jug of cleaner in one hand and a mop in the other. I prefer not to use the disposable pads, for reasons of economy and ecology. I have laminate floors, so it's a lot of area. So I buy what looks like a good one, commercial grade, $40. I get it home and I am unable to fill the reservoir. The water trickles in, it takes forever. I look online, there are no instructions, but it appears you need a tank to inject the water into the reservoir, which costs $40 also, and they don't have them at the home depot.

So I take it back, at first they obviously thought I was just clueless, but then they tried to fill it and also couldn't, in their words it was "ridonkulous", they looked online and found many customers had the same problems. So they exchanged it for a different kind. I get it home and the water won't come out of the sprayer half the time. I had to walk around with the jug in my hand anyway.

Swiffers 2, Lisa, 0

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am busy getting medical issues addressed. As I wrote earlier, I must flee Newark. There is part of Bayonne, next to Newark, that has major stores in walking distance. I would have to take light rail to Hoboken and Jersey. Bayonne looks very working class. There is some geographical reason that the Newark influence does not spread. It is on a peninsula. I would hate to be there in a storm. Well, we usually have warning. Maybe I could evacuate.

I am also busy setting up work. It seems going solo is a good option. I am the employee type. Men I know dreamed of going solo. My parents were not risk takers. I admire entrepreuners. It feels so much better being home than in PA. I don't know how to explain it. It is easy to read people here. There is a sophistication here - even in Newark. Simple chores are difficult b/c of the blight in Newark. I refuse to eat the food from a local supermarket. Drug stores have bullet proof glass and the merchandise is under bulletproof glass. I visit a Portugese restaurant and meet people at the bar.

I want to research if I can audit a class this summer. My plans for this weekend include visiting the WTC Ground Zero Memorial Gardens. The museum will open very soon. Family members have the first appointment times. Many are going to visit at two in the morning to have some privacy. There is a big dispute about a documentary film that is part of the museum. Islamists and Moslem mean different things? The Moslems are very upset. They want it very clear to visitors that the terrorists are atypical Moslems. People report that the memorial garden is very moving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit