One aspect of evolution that does not make sense.....

by EndofMysteries 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

The part that DOES make sense are how bodies adapt over time to surroundings and use.

They don't.

Evolution results from the non-random selection of random mutations. It's about changes of the frequency of allelles in a genes pool.

Edited to add - If you are skeptical how random mutations can cause significant beneficial changes to organisms you will need to read a book on evolutionary developmental biology such as "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll or "The Making of the Fittest" by the same author.

• bohm
    bohm

One aspect of gravity that does not make sense:

If things fall down, why dont things fall off australia and into outer space?

HUH?

Thats why you dont need to read any books on gravity or evolution, its all just so blatantly absurd.

• cantleave
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

Impolite memes aside, I think we've done a pretty good job explaining the same thing multiple times now

The question is what EOM thinks of our explanations. I've noticed that people have a tendency to start threads on evolution, let people spend a bunch of time replying to their question, and then never come back to reply to them.

• Giordano
    Giordano

End Of Mysteries is aptly named....... the WTBTS instilled into the minds of their followers that there are no mysteries. The answers to everything are found in the Society's publications. They are never wrong so you don't even need to question let alone understand any of their teachings which is why one does not need to read books on Evolution that doesn't conform to their view point. EOM is trolling with the same bait...........

• Comatose
    Comatose

Question for Cofty, Snare or anyone else who can weigh in. This question is because I want to know the correct info, not because I am being argumentative.

Does what I posted fit with the current understanding? I noticed that what I thought about surviving due to natural reasons and the gene pool eventually skewing that way seems to disagree with what Cofty posted below, or is it both? Do I understand it wrong? Is it mutations more than just survival due to natural variations that become the norm over time? Or are what I am calling natural variations actually mutations, so we are saying the same thing in different words?

Cofty said:

The part that DOES make sense are how bodies adapt over time to surroundings and use.

They don't.

Evolution results from the non-random selection of random mutations. It's about changes of the frequency of allelles in a genes pool.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

These errors in the DNA only offer the traits , it is the enviroment that selects them, hence the term 'natural selection'. There is no intelligence involved at all.

Yes this is the key. There is no built in intelligence that decides to do anything. It's variation based on genetic mutations.

For example, i'll use a very silly analogy :). There are white people and black people, right? This is due to genetic mutations/changes.

Now let's say that there were giant predatory birds who went around eating humans, but somehow they can't see darker skin. What would happen? Well black people would thrive, and white people would have a hard time surviving and maybe go extinct.

Once white people were extinct what would happen to the big bad birds? They would likely go extict too. But what if there was a genetic mutation that made possible for a few of those birds to identify dark skin? Then that subset would thrive and the rest of the birds would die. And so it goes on.

Now, did something in the black human body decide to change color to avoid the big bad birds? No. The change was already there, but the enviroment was favorable to that change.

Over millions and millions of years this selection causes the collection of existing creatures living on the planet at any one time, to be contantly changing. This is what is called evolution.

I personally believe the very term "evolution" is creating an issue. People associate the term with a plan, a direction and they can't see a plan or a direction, without the existence of a planner or director. This is not the case. It's simply survival of creatures which are better adapted to living conditions vs extinction of the ones who are not.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Comatose, why do this the hard way? Go buy the books.

evolutionary biology is a 3 year degree. You are starting from scratch and want the answers ih half a forum page. We have given you a great foundation to go learnd from.

I had diddly-squat, I picked up the books. Didn't have anyone to ask anything to either. So if you are sincere about knowing..... go get the books x

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Redvip, good analogy x

I like to ask people what shape a human red blood cell is? They say round (close enough- concave) and I ask if they have heard of sickle cell disease? The cells in these people are sickle shaped due to a random dna mutation. It is prevelant in eastern africa as it is protects from Malaria.

So again what shape is a human red blood cell? Round

What shape is a human red blood cell in 50 years.... if a vicious malaria spreads globally wiping out most of humanity?

The answer is now ....sickle shaped.

No intelligence, no design and with no prior knowledge of the events leading to this change, a human in the future would conclude they were perfectly designed to their environment.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Evolutionary adaption involving species are created by better capabilities of those specific

species to adapt to their living environments in which they existed and passing on those

capabilities to their off spring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit