How do JWs Not see how barbaric YHWH is? Its what started my awakening.

by BU2B 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Because cultivating plant species preferentially is just like killing animals and people that feel fear and pain

Of course God can do anything he wants, if might makes right. Yet somehow we were made in God's image and we're concerned about preserving animal species that are going extinct, while God says, "Humans are really evil, the only way I can solve this is by killing everything that lives on the ground and in the air [and somehow the fish will survive despite living in water that is a mix of mud, corpses, freshwater and saltwater for a year]. That will show those stupid animals, I mean, humans." That apple fell pretty far from the tree.

• El_Guapo
    El_Guapo

This was part of my awakening too. A brother and I were talking and the topic of abortion came up. I asked if he thought abortion was against christian values, he said of course! Then I brought up David's unborn child. Wasn't he killed because he would have been a "black eye" for king David's reign? Don't many unwanted children get aborted today for the same reason??? So the parents to avoid embarssment or shame?!:(

• rocketman
    rocketman

Really good thread.

Of course, it's not just Jehovah's Witnesses, but Christians and Jews claim to love the God of the Hebrew Scriptures too.

• a watcher
    a watcher

Jehovah had to be tough with early mankind. They were hard-headed and hard-hearted.

But with the new covenant, Jehovah showed His loving side in the person of His son Jesus.

It's a lot easier to be a Christian than it was to be a Hebrew.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Did Jehovah also have to be tough on early animal life as well? He either allowed 99% of all species to die or caused their extinction.. What is with his penchant for loving to smell animals burning, endless slaughter of animals year after year.. Seems a bit bloodthirsty if you ask me.. why would the creator of all things insist upon the slaughter of animals for his enjoyment?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's interesting, despite caring about animals I had never given honest thought to the sacrifice arrangement until I was in service one day with a pioneer talking to a kindly older man. He was agreeing with a lot of what she said, and for some reason she brought up the Jewish animal sacrifices as something else that was a right part of God's plan for man, perhaps to lay the groundwork for explaining how Jesus' ransom was necessary (this pioneer was also fond of animals, interestingly enough). The man shrugged politely and said, "Well, I'm not so sure about that part."

For some reason it wasn't until I heard this idea spoken out loud in the presence of a "worldly person" that I heard it objectively for the first time and thought, "Wait a minute, why did Jehovah require all those animals to be killed?" Suddenly it seemed embarrassing to approve of this practice, like it was something primitive and beneath our own modern standards of ethics. It shows how people can overlook things that are inconvenient to the views that they want to maintain.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Jehovah had to be tough with early mankind. They were hard-headed and hard-hearted.

What proof do you have to substantiate this claim? Human nature is human nature, and there's no reason to believe that people were wired differently back then compared to now.

Besides, if you look at WT's theology, they claim humans were closer to perfection back then (their time proximity to creation of Adam), so, by that logic, they should've been smarter and superior in every way to modern humans, being that we have had an additional thousands of years of deterioration than the Israelites and their contemporaries.

Rather than being "tough" on those humans, even if "a watcher" is correct, wouldn't a loving god take into consideration that early humans were doofuses and nurture them rather than obliterate them? By this logic a person could justify abusing a less intelligent human simply because they aren't as smart as Einstein.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was exposed to nothing else. The subjection of women annoyed me from about first grade. If you have no other view of God, you accept it. I accepted that God hated humans, esp. female humans. As I grew older, I felt sorry for the Canaanites and Philistines. These are Jewish actors in the OT. What do they have to do with my life? Jesus seemed loveable. YHWH was despicable. One had to go. Being born-in, I just assumed God was evil. I never once believed I would survive Armageddon. My loved ones would not make it, either. Enduring a lot of nonsense at KH and home for God to reject me.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I find this topic very interesting. I remember many times being upset by the actions of "Jehovah" and I voiced it a few times. I always got the same pat answers but I honestly think in my sub conscience I knew things weren't right. I hardly ever prayed because it just never felt right and of course you always blame it on yourself but he did not make me feel warm and fuzzy at all.

I really liked the points a AndDontCallMeShirley made on this thread and also what BU2B posted.

• BU2B
    BU2B

No apologist response about YHWH and his minions behavior in the OT has ever come close to satisfying me... In fact I find their responses generally very disturbing and give me insight into how otherwise good people justify and condone the most despicable and unconcionable of acts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit