How do JWs Not see how barbaric YHWH is? Its what started my awakening.

by BU2B 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BU2B
    BU2B

If one reads Genesis from the first chapter through the end with an open mind, it is clear that Not only is it not true, but that God is potrayed as a cruel, petty, childish micromanaging tyrant. If one continues reading the OT this is just further solidified. How do JWs NOT SEE the obvious? I know its mind control but really?? Even when I was mentally in I had a big problem with much of the OT. From the beginning, accourding to the fable, God created two naieve people and put a tempting fruit tree in THE MIDDLE of the garden as a loylty test. He failed to warn them of the serpent or any danger. He failed to warn Abel of his bloodthirsty brother coming to kill him, and the list could go on and on and on. Even the Job account was very disturbing to me for obvious reasons. The flood for obvious reasons.

Did doubts over Jehovah himself and his alleged start anyone here leaving the WT? If Genesis is wrong, nothing else matters, the whole JW religion crumbles. Why cant more see how barbaric God is in the OT? Why should he be held to a lower standard than me as a father? If I left cups of antifreeze for my daughter and warned her not to drink them and she did anyways, is that moral? I did warn her after all.. If there was a predator on the loose and I didnt warn my children about him and they lured my child away, is that their fault or mine? At best the OT god was a very negligent parent. At worse, pure evil.

This is what started my path to mental freedom. Even whild believing it was true, I could not bring myself to love a god that did or failed to do the things that I read about in Genesis-Malachi. Only after deciding I would not worship such an evil entity did I find out it was all hogwash anyways, which was a relief to me. Anyone feel the same?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

It was the Old Testament that first got me thinking, as well. The WT's literal interpretation of the flood story was something I could never fully get behind, even when I was a fully believing JW. And God punishing David for murder and adultery by killing his infant son never sat well with me, either.

It was my doubts about the bible, and God himself, that made me open to researching the JW religion, specifically. Looking back, now, it's hard for me to believe that I was able to swallow any of it for as long as I did.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Thanks for sharing keysersore :)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

great thread, I always had these doubts about this evil angry bloodthirsty Hebrew god of the OT as well , the thought of worshipping this garbage is so abhorrent

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I am planning on using this every step of the way as we read the bible together. She has already commented on how she never got the animal sacrifice thing. It was so funny when she came home from the CA on Saturday when she asked me - "Don't you love JHVH"? I didn't reply but you can imagine what i wanted to say.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

what's not to like???

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Hey guys, I am looking for a passage in the OT, it's in one of the first five books in which (I am sure I did not imagined reading this) god gets angry so one of the soldiers scared of Jehovah's possible wrath stabs a pregnant women with his sword from her vagina.

• humbled
    humbled

I had a hard time with Jehovah's psychotic schizophenia. Sometimes his forebearance was amazing (the end of the book of Jonah "ought I not to feel sorry for Nineveh the great city?") OMG! These Assyrians used to skin alive their captives!

On the other hand, it is hard to grasp where mercy and justice stands with Jehovah as He allows faithful Uriah to be first cuckolded then murdered without so much as a blink of his eye (unless you consider the killing of David's woods colt as balancing the ledger).

But the most disturbing account of all is that of Abraham and Isaac at Genesis 22. That is what got me out of the religion.

I finally "outed" myself to the local brothers because there is latitude to understand the story as a moment where human language had no way to describe God's high-minded ways. In fact, if indeed the words of the bible had been "sacrifice" Isaac, I told the brothers then indeed Jehovah was a sly and cruel manipulator. A monster.

That there was the word "burnt offering" which offered a connotation more spiritual and not specifically deadly as the word for "sacrifice" was hopeful for me. I certainly hoped it would be for others who were troubled by God's allowing himself to 1) lie 2)use evil to test a human 3)seem to approve what he abhorred.

The upshot of the matter: JWs are content to have Jehovah be a son-of-a-bitch in their literature and teaching. My observation that such a twisted representation of the God of love was a hard sell---yet the Genesis 22 story is central to Judeo/Christian teaching.

As much as anything, I could not anymore stay in a group of people who were slavishly attached to My Book of Bible Stories. The Society actually wrote me that they were concerned to say that Abraham was told to kill Isaac before he burnt him so that children didn't think Jehovah had asked Abe to do what the terrible pagan Canaanites did by burning children alive to their evil gods.

Sick! Sick! SICK!!!!!

• suavojr
    suavojr

But humbled, isn't that what Genesis 22 says about Abraham, that Jehovah himself wanted him to kill his son Isaac and then burn him like an animal on the Altar?

• suavojr
    suavojr

My first question when I was a little boy to my dad about the Genesis account was, why could they not eat of the tree of life? why is Satan and his demons able to live forever while they still went against Jehovah himself? How is it possible that a spiritual being is able to live forever while he is the enemy of God himself?

All I got from my dad was simply watchtower craziness and never a straight answer. So my conclusion was that you are able to live away from God and do what you please and live forever with no problems. Interesting conclusion from a 10-year-old boy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit