How do JWs Not see how barbaric YHWH is? Its what started my awakening.

by BU2B 142 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jam
    jam

Perry wrote "What about babies some may say? Maybe

God did them a favor by removing them before they sinned.

I thought we all was born in sin. That just prove my point

when talking to religious people, barbaric.

• ed60
    ed60

#BU2B

You make a good argument. The WTBS publications tend to skip all over the Bible like flies on a ... Maybe you have to read it and focus on it before you get the books truer meaning (aroma?) to the max. I hope they never take down the'read the Bible daily' sign, because I did and it put me on the road out of the Borg/organised religion for good. The only thing I would add to their sign is 'but read non fiction too'.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Sex slaves, women forced to marriage and concubines. Men had the right for divorce but not women. Slavery. GENOCIDE perry.

Of course you can justify this with "it's god therefore it's justified" but that won't change anything.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Here is my highly simplistic view, if it even makes sense. But I feel God of the OT tried to rule men while allowing them to have free will and his earlier attempts to create a loving and forgiving society were disasters. The people are the ones who caused such horrid things, believeing they were what was required to make God happy. The writers of the OT interpreted Gods desires as some realy horrid things. In my view, this was a very unhappy God trying to fix a horrible mess.

IMO It wasn't until He sent his son to earth that the people finally heard and witnessed the real reasons for the commandments and the supreme law of loving one another. From that point on, those who recognised the real reasons for the commandments, the base being to love one another as they love themselves are the ones who really know God. This in my view is what God wanted to accomplish.

The OT is littered with horrific tales and perceptions of misguided people thinking they had to rule the people with an iron fist to force them to behave according to laws that were percieved as being the correct laws of God. ( sound familiar?)

The NT was developed, the Gospel brought by Jesus, to bring corrections to all those horrible misconceptions and wrongdoings in the eyes of God.

Even the NT has had it's share of differing interpretations, ( eastern catholic/western catholic etc... ) then massivly exploding with the reformation. The carefully guarded ancient interpretations in Latin were then interpreted over and over in many thousands of different ways. Massive confusion set about causing all kids of things, wars included.

I tend to like to go to the source as close as possible, and try to decipher from there, reading all I can get my hands on to help find patterns . I'm not anywhere close to figureing it out, but I believe the that is what God wants. It is to try to do for others, to use the gifts and talents God gave to us to use to help other people, from tiny to huge, all are gifts of equal importance. For us all to give as Jesus gave to us, to love with an open heart.

• cofty
    cofty

And yet Jesus adored the OT and taught his followers to keep every letter of the Law.

Jesus was not a Christian he was a Jew.

• cofty
    cofty

Perry is an icon of why I detest theism with a passion. What a despicable way of viewing your fellow humans.

Christian fundamentalism is a cult no better than the Watchtower.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Because the vast...VAST majority of JW's don't read the Bible or anything else.

They see a pretty picture and their brains are turned off.

If they actually read the Bible they would have many, many more questions......not just about YHWH.

JW's on average are some of the laziest people on this planet.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

nonjwspouse wrote In my view, this was a very unhappy God trying to fix a horrible mess.

And what exactly are you basing this on, your view? You write of god like he is some human trying to make the best of a bad situation, like he didn't know that Eve would sin, that he was going to kill children, men, women, animals, destroy lands, and make people starve. Not only that but he supported slavery, concubines, and to top it all of an eternal hellfire for me for just not believing in HIM through blind faith... How loving of Jehovah.

But I feel God of the OT tried to rule men while allowing them to have free will and his earlier attempts to create a loving and forgiving society were disasters.

We are not discussing free will, not that there was much free will back then. But I get the impression that you are either mentally retarded or you have never read Genesis to Joshua. Did you know what would happen if you were a virgin and raped? You would be sold to your rapist without say on divorce. They were allowed to beat their slaves as long as they did not die. A man was killed for picking up sticks on the Sabbath!! They were not allowed to eat shell fish and mix fabrics. I mean how stupid to you have to be to ignore all this

The people are the ones who caused such horrid things, believeing they were what was required to make God happy.

So people caused all the genocide, rape, slavery, murder, concubines etc. Right, so you have no sense of morality.

• cofty
    cofty

I get the impression that you are either mentally retarded or...

I mean how stupid to you have to be...

Right, so you have no sense of morality.... Paranoia Agent

Although I share your contempt for the god of the OT I oppose your style. We all justified our belief in the morality of the OT at one time. We were not retarded, or stupid and neither did we lack a sense of morality.

This is the sort of personal attack that makes dialogue imposssible.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Not really cofty, anti-theism causes the most dissonance. And besides how should you react if I said that I am nazi? A good nazi thought that likes all races and helps others, but views Hitlers actions as justified? Think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit