Millions die in Natural disasters - God is doing nothing. Do I adopt Anthropomorphism to him?

by KateWild 199 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Of course it's up to you what route you follow and I like to read your musings but I think you'll end up either swapping one religion for another - K99

I was a convert, I have been a practicing Jew, and JW, niether is for me. I will not be taking up a new religion soon, chemistry is my love and passion, but not the scientology cult. I am happy being part of JWN for now and not joining another cult is a priority. One can believe in God with out being a member of an organisation.

Of course one can beleive in God without being a member of an organisation. I just think that where you intellectually at the moment is incredibly wooly and that over time you will form more concrete conclusions that will either take you back to something where the Bible has a relevance as the inspired word of God with all it's teaching on Jesus etc. or you will move to a far more secular viewpoint.

I assume as well by scientology you mean the "cult" of blindly following science as opposed to the religion of Scientology (Hubbard and all that...)

• besty
    besty

@kate

Einstein used many labels to describe his religious views, including

"agnostic" - holding the belief that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysicalclaims—are unknown

"pantheistic" - holding the belief that the universe (or nature as the totality of everything) is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing,immanent God

"believer in "Spinoza's God" - see above - defined as a singular self-subsistent substance, with both matter and thought being attributes of such

To simply state that 'Einstein believed in God' without any definition or qualification is disingenuous. Period.

Please do not become guilty of trying to bolster a weak argument with deliberate half-truths.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Sorry Kate, but your arguments seem to be losing any kind of foundation that explains on what basis you are forming your opinions.-K99

Emotional, religious feeling is an emotion not something tangible, like Xant said I may have be born with a religious gene, and like Fink has said, it's all in my head. Who knows, but I have faith there is a God while I look for the answers, if I even ever find them. I am staisfied with the atom for now, it's enough evidence for me.

As God is not a'morphic I am not swayed by God's indifference to human suffering, I just don't like God very much for just observing it, from a human stand point I would not watch suffering, but God's feelings are not human IMO. God's plans are yet to be discovered.

Kate xx

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

I'm curious why it matters what Einstein believed about god?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Kate, you should really have titled this thread, "Vague conjecture about Einstein, God and the word 'science'"

Honestly, I don't understand half of what you say.

I enjoy religious things, such as science

Case in point

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Emotional, religious feeling is an emotion not something tangible, like Xant said I may have be born with a religious gene, and like Fink has said, it's all in my head. Who knows, but I have faith there is a God while I look for the answers, if I even ever find them. I am staisfied with the atom for now, it's enough evidence for me.

Fair enough I guess.

As God is not a'morphic I am not swayed by God's indifference to human suffering, I just don't like God very much for just observing it, from a human stand point I would not watch suffering, but God's feelings are not human IMO. God's plans are yet to be discovered.

But given that your stance removes the Bible as being the inspired word of God then where the hell do you expect his plans to be discovered? He's had millions of years of human evolution to expose them and not done so.

Hate to say it Kate, but this is just cognative dissonance again.

• KateWild
    KateWild

To simply state that 'Einstein believed in God' without any definition or qualification is disingenuous. Period.-besty

I don't think it is, there is many a debate about it. Cofty stated Einstein was an atheist, was that disingenuous of cofty?

Well I believed him for an hour until I read up on how heated the debate actually is. Since then cofty has with humility said, on a thread " Maybe he was a Deist." http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/266157/2/What-were-Albert-Einstiens-Religious-Beliefs#.UsqdxPRdW8A

If posters want to know the truth about Einstien they will find it, but in future I will point out although he believed in God it was not a personal one. Okay? I don't want posters to think I am deliberately trying to mislead other posters, I see your point besty.

Love Kate xx

• besty
    besty

I'm curious why it matters what Einstein believed about god?

It matters because people throw that 'fact' around as an appeal to authority in an attempt to make their argument appear stronger than it is.

• besty
    besty

Cofty stated Einstein was an atheist, was that disingenuous of cofty?

No, just inaccurate. Disingenuous means revealing less about something than you actually know. You know (or should know by now) that "Einstein did not believe in a mono-theistic personal God" and was in fact agnostic and pantheistic.

but in future I will point out although he believed in God it was not a personal one

Even better - stop using the appeal to authority. It doesn't help.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, you should really have titled this thread, "Vague conjecture about Einstein, God and the word 'science'"-2+

haha lol!!!

Well I was talking about A'mophisim and so was Einstein, the book is an enjoyable read, but heavy, so one would have to read it themselves to understand where the vagueness comes from. Einstein himself was ambiguous, diliberately so if you ask me.

"Sceince without Religion is lame and religion without science is blind". I don't want to be lame or blind.

2+, I like that you are straight, makes me smile. Love Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit