Millions die in Natural disasters - God is doing nothing. Do I adopt Anthropomorphism to him?

by KateWild 199 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

What is God's plan for humankind?

I don't think God has one, I think the creator want's to observe how humans evolve.

So where is the deliniation between proactive causeation and where God backed off? Is everything since the big bang just as a result of the physical laws being followed? Is not man therefore just another animal with no special status? Is there any need for man to recognise and give honour to a creator?

Is there a heaven?

Outer space can be considered heaven I suppose

Well if God created the universe then surely he must be beyond the boundaries of it. What is the purpose of heaven if we are talking about a purely intelligent force and not something akin to the God of the Bible?

What is the purpose of Jesus? What about God's Kingdom? Was the Bible in any way inspired by God? Is there anything to Armageddon and restoration prophecies?

I don't know to all of those, but looking forward to finding out how I will answer in the future.

This is the point I passed very quickly as my faith was deconstructed. I actually think there is a certain logic to WTS doctrine and in many ways it does make sense. That is until you pull the rug from under it when it comes to creation. As soon as you remove an acceptance of the Genesis story then the whole thing falls apart and is illogical, senseless even. Trying then to reconcile the idea of any kind of intelligent creator becomes pretty much impossible as if he is there in a form close to the way described in the Bible then he is clearly not as powerful, loving, wise and just as we were led to accept. If God is just a intelligent creative force with limited influence and interest in humankind then there is no benefit or loss by accepting and worshiping it or not.

In my view Kate, trying to reconcille this is an exercise in futility and it far more intellectually honest to simply take things on face value, measuring your view of their validity using purely human constraints. Factoring in an impotent or disinterested deity or force is pointless.

Of course it's up to you what route you follow and I like to read your musings but I think you'll end up either swapping one religion for another and reasserting a Judeo-Christian mindset in your head, or you will move to a more secular viewpoint - one where God is not manifest in black holes and time travel is not the answer for rectifying human suffering.

Thanks for your interest K99, I like you Kate xx

I like you too :-)

• KateWild
    KateWild

For you to say, without qualification, "Einstein believed in God"-besty

Well I am afraid I disagree with you, will you read this book? Yes I say without qualification the IMO if Einstien maintained God manifested himself in the laws of the universe, to me he believed in God.

Lets break it down

Einstien maintained God manifested himself.......................this is enough evidence for me that Einstein had a stable belief, and he believed in God, as he describes how God manifests qualities

God manifested himself in the laws of the universe...............................this is evidence to me that Einstein though the laws of the universe were a manifestation of a higher being, namely a creator.

But you make a good point, it's a heavy book and I have no qualifications in theology. You think I am misunderstanding his quotes, perhaps I am. But I find that Max Jammer really thought Einstein believed in God, so the book is perhaps written with that bias.

I don't think my conclusions are wrong, maybe read the book with me and point out where it says Einstien believed God was nature, the quote above went onto say he did not think God was nature at all.

We just disagree besty, but I am willing to read this book again and again until I can prove to you I am right to have my opinion, but you are also right to have yours. Einstein believed in God IMO, he truly did. Please read this book

Kate xx

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Xant, why do you think you are not religious? - Kate

Well looking at the way I described it as a person who doesn't want to worship someone or take part in any kind of religious service, I even find church funerals difficult. At my uncle's funeral last year which was held in a crematorium but led by an Anglican vicar, I found it really weird hearing people do the 'responses' and they seemed to chant the lord's prayer like children in school. It seems dehumanizing and rather frightening.

I thought I had a relationship with God but I didn't want to worship him. I don't put anyone on a pedestal and I don't like the cult of the expert or care about celebrities. Each idea or theory has to stand up on its own value, not because it's connected to someone famous. Grovelling and looking up to people is an ape thing in my view, finding the Alpha males and females and worshipping a God is an extension of that.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Is everything since the big bang just as a result of the physical laws being followed?-K99

Yes why not? Kate xx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTSfOZUNLo

• KateWild
    KateWild

Is there any need for man to recognise and give honour to a creator?-K99

no, not al all

• KateWild
    KateWild

What is the purpose of heaven if we are talking about a purely intelligent force and not something akin to the God of the Bible?

Strong and weak magnetic forces and beauty, worm holes, life forms, discovery.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Is everything since the big bang just as a result of the physical laws being followed?-K99

Yes why not? Kate xx

No reason why not other than it weakens any argument for validity and even the existence of God. Humankind is not a special or specific creation. It's down to evolutionary chance that we are here in the form we are. God has no plan for us. We are no better than the animals.

If an intelligent, creative force deliberately initiated the big bang then what was the point? Since there is no obvious point and we are not special in any way then there is no point worshiping God or looking to god for any answers.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Of course it's up to you what route you follow and I like to read your musings but I think you'll end up either swapping one religion for another - K99

I was a convert, I have been a practicing Jew, and JW, niether is for me. I will not be taking up a new religion soon, chemistry is my love and passion, but not the scientology cult. I am happy being part of JWN for now and not joining another cult is a priority. One can believe in God with out being a member of an organisation.

Kate xx

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

What is the purpose of heaven if we are talking about a purely intelligent force and not something akin to the God of the Bible?

Strong and weak magnetic forces and beauty, worm holes, life forms, discovery.

But heaven is a human concept. Theistic tradition places it as the abode of god(s). If we are the product of evolution then there is no heaven. Space is not there because the Creator has a purpose for it or for us in it - it's there because of the physical laws in action.

If God is just an intelligent force and we are the product of evolution unaltered by God then the ALL religious concepts are junk. They are the product of human minds and have NO relationship to reality.

Sorry Kate, but your arguments seem to be losing any kind of foundation that explains on what basis you are forming your opinions.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I thought I had a relationship with God but I didn't want to worship him.-Xant

I suppose, how one defines worship is an question for another thread. I feel I have respect for a creator when I learn about science, but would I define it as worship? On exiting the cult this is now a new word I must redefine. Thank you Xant for bringing that to my attention.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit