The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• humbled
    humbled

When do we have the Bible God himself explaining why bad things happen to good people?

NEVER.

We only have people spin explanations.In the bible and out of it.Then and now. But God doesn't answer.

The question Job asks God is part of this discussion. It's an important part of this discussion because A BELIEVER, Job, asks God : WHY?

Read the book and see that there isn't an answer given.

Neither old or NT make sense. Bible says the earth was cursed by God (Gen.3:17,5:29) brings a flood to kill evil men but --saves the righteous? All through the bibl the story tries to go with the idea that god reward/protects the righteous--in SPITE of the observations of Job. God saving the righteous is spotty--

If god has love and power at least admit that it isn't evident in the real world. We get sick and die even if we don't die in a tsunami.

• tec
    tec

Neanderthals, homo-erectus, dinosaurs,they all died enmasse before humans existed. The earth didnt all of the sudden become hostile 6000 yrs ago.

I never said that the earth became hostile 6000 years ago. Never even said Adam and Eve existed only 6000 years ago. Two different realms... physical and spiritual... and the timing is different between the two. I honestly don't know what the bridge is between the two, yet. But there is one.

omg.... Tec, this is embarassing. Also you are getting this from the bible, how do you know this bit is correct but the bit where god commands genocide isnt.

exactly! Game over.

I told you where I get my understanding Snare. From the Spirit. I know you cannot accept that. But I cannot do anything about that.

Peace to you,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Yes but earthquakes are not

No Cofty. Your view on that is limited. You don't know how removing earthquakes (or removing the rough edges of tectonic plates) would affect all the other systems on the earth ... OR ... how that would have affected the evolution and support of life on this planet.

Peace,

tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

The rehashed "it's a mystery" argument.

• Simon
    Simon

Why are you adding into your summaries that 5 million people were displaced? That is a hardship... but big deal, in relation to THIS topic. Hardship and suffering are... again... part of this world. Why can you not wrap your mind around that?

Wow, you "love" comes through loud and clear. Weren't we supposed to know whether someone was a real follower or not by the love and empathy they showed to others?

You do not know what consequences might have occurred if God stopped the tsunami.

What a weak non-argument. We know quarter of a million people wouldn't have suffered awful deaths, we know 5m others wouldn't have a more miserable existence, many of them children now orphaned.

We can use your argument to discount any bible story and any decision your god made.

God did not stop the tsunami, yes... that is obvious.

Finally, a piece of fact in a sea of stupid.

Everything that God does IS of love, yes.

And we're back to anything bad that happens is suddenly good as long as you slap an 'approved by god' sticker on the outcome.

That doesn't mean everyone is capable of recognizing that because their goal (life forever free of disease and suffering and death right NOW) is not the same as His. They are limited in their sight. God is not. Love for His children, and according to His plan and timeline... which ensures that none of His children are lost. Lost from life, eternal. Once again, as was warned, everyone in this world/life dies. Including the sons/children of God... until Christ returns. People whose faith is in Christ and God know this. Including those who died in and/or survived the tsunami and other natural diasters.

So god is useless then. He has never stepped in to save his followers ... other than in bible stories. Why did he stop interfering when he couldn't keep his grubby hands off things before? Of what purpose is continuing life on earth as it is if it all counts for nothing?

There is no therefore. It is not even an issue, unless this world is all you can see, and so you demand what is given in the Kingdom to be given for this world... and most often without even upholding what is required of you from the covenant to be in that Kingdom.

Menaingless jibberish.

BTW: I think you are confusing your beliefs with the plot of "Highlander" when you start talking about beings coming to earth and having to make it to the real spirit world blah blah

The ultimate extrapolation of your argument is that the Nazi's were good, Tsunami's are beneficial because they hasten people's journey to the spirit world.

You know what Tammy? Your reasoning is vile, insensitive, insulting, hypocritical and unthinking. A perfect representation of your god.

• Simon
    Simon

>> Tammy ... did your god interfere to confuse languages to intentionally prevent mankind's unity?

No, not that I know of, and certainly not for that reason.

Wow, you don't even know the crazy stories you base your warped beliefs on?

Tower of babel ring any bells?

God admits there is nothing that mankind wouldn't be able to accomplish. So his ruined the unity and cooperation.

In this case we KNOW what would have happened if he hadn't acted (according to the bible / god himself) so your excuse of "it's a mystery / we don't know" won't work.

He is responsible. He stacked the deck against us and then blames us for the issues he creates. Such love.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"from the spirit"

i know you don't belive that, if you did you would not try to defend your view as you do.....

Why come here and argue with people with EVIDENCE when you know ONLY YOU experiences this spirit. Your answers are literally mumbo jumbo, gobeldy gook. it's ok to express them, but you then dissect and argue with peoples answers where EVIDENCE and LOGIC is used. IF you truly believed in your spirit, you would know it is of no use to everyone else on this forum who has no ides what spirit you talk of.

You come and defend your views 'from the spirit' because they are simply your opinion, nothing more.

• Simon
    Simon

>> Did he stop the sun so the Israelites could slaughter people putting them at a disadvantage?

The sun does not 'move'... but the earth? I am not sure. If He did it would have been in response to a request from one who belongs to Him, not because God wanted anyone to be slaughtered.

Thanks for admitting first that the bible writers weren't divinely inspired (you'd think god of all people would know how the solar system worked?) and also that you have a very, very limited knowledge of the bible. Have you actually even read it? It's fairly typical that the most vehement adherents are the least knowledgable about the bible and it's history.

The story (in the bible) is that he stopped the day so his chosen people could continue their slaughter of those who simply had the misfortune to be born to non-chosen parents of a different race.

Today we call it genocide, but you no doubt call such things "good".

Also, stopping the solar system would take vastly much more time and effort than just stopping one storm on one planet of the solar system. He can do the former to enable a slaughter but can't be arsed doing the latter to save innocent people, children and babies?

Tell us more about this god of love you worship.

• tec
    tec

Why are you adding into your summaries that 5 million people were displaced? That is a hardship... but big deal, in relation to THIS topic. Hardship and suffering are... again... part of this world. Why can you not wrap your mind around that? tec

Wow, you "love" comes through loud and clear. Weren't we supposed to know whether someone was a real follower or not by the love and empathy they showed to others? Simon

No. "The world will know that you are my disciples by the love you have for one another."

In relation to this topic... what Cofty has added to his list... is a harship and it is suffering. But it does not relate to the topic or point that he keeps emphasizing that he is making.

That doesn't mean you don't help those who are displaced, or homeless, or hungry, or in mourning, etc, etc. Or that you do not empathise, and give what you can to those in need. I never said otherwise.

You do not know what consequences might have occurred if God stopped the tsunami.

What a weak non-argument. We know quarter of a million people wouldn't have suffered awful deaths, we know 5m others wouldn't have a more miserable existence, many of them children now orphaned.

We can use your argument to discount any bible story and any decision your god made.

Been discussed already. But I was speaking of physical consequences as much as anything else. It is also a simple fact. You don't know if there are any negative consequences.

Everything that God does IS of love, yes.

And we're back to anything bad that happens is suddenly good as long as you slap an 'approved by god' sticker on the outcome.

I never said that. Bad things are bad things. That doesn't mean God caused them. Nor does it mean that they magically became good if God does not prevent them.

That doesn't mean everyone is capable of recognizing that because their goal (life forever free of disease and suffering and death right NOW) is not the same as His. They are limited in their sight. God is not. Love for His children, and according to His plan and timeline... which ensures that none of His children are lost. Lost from life, eternal. Once again, as was warned, everyone in this world/life dies. Including the sons/children of God... until Christ returns. People whose faith is in Christ and God know this. Including those who died in and/or survived the tsunami and other natural diasters.

So god is useless then. He has never stepped in to save his followers ... other than in bible stories. Why did he stop interfering when he couldn't keep his grubby hands off things before? Of what purpose is continuing life on earth as it is if it all counts for nothing?

He interfered... once and for all. Life on this planet does not count for nothing, as has also been discussed. The Kingdom has not come yet... because not everyone who belongs to Christ - who God has seen - has even been born yet, and so come to Christ. God will not lose even one of these.

In the meantime, the time is a mercy that each man has in his own life to repent and come to Life.

So it doesn't count for nothing.

BTW: I think you are confusing your beliefs with the plot of "Highlander" when you start talking about beings coming to earth and having to make it to the real spirit world blah blah

I don't know what you mean by this.

The ultimate extrapolation of your argument is that the Nazi's were good, Tsunami's are beneficial because they hasten people's journey to the spirit world.

No that is not even close.

You know what Tammy? You are a vile, insensitive, insulting, hypocritical, unthinking excuse for a human.

Nice to know that you are exempt from the rules you apply to others. I said something as vile as that... I would be banned at once.

Peace,

tammy

• bohm
    bohm

Adamah:

But do YOU realize it is NOT the case that EVERYTHING you write that WILL be READ by THOSE that may not be in complete AGREEMENT with you EVEN though YOU put a GREAT DEAL of EFFORT into typing VERY long posts where you put forth YOUR point of view on the matter where you take GREAT CARE to CAPITALIZE some words that are important such that other may take NOTICE of them and which more narrowly reflect YOUR thoughts of the topic which is under CONSIDERATION or at least INTENDED to be under consideration by the OP WHO HAS put efforts into typing down the topic for the BENEFIT of those CHRISTIANS or ATHEISTS or PYLYTHEISTS or other people of all SORTS of different concepts of what MAY OR MAY NOT reflect a deity or some other idea of an otherworldly being who THEY believe or do NOT believe in and so EVEN THOUGH your points may be completely cogent and YOU feel they should be considered a GREAT DEAL because you may feel they are MORE COGENT than what other put forth and which is discussed at a GREAT LENGTH (and possible greater length than is warrented considering the uhm intelligence of the post in question not thereby saying it nessecarily reflect the poster is not of great intellect) and THEREFORE your efforts may IN REALITY be a sisyphys work EVEN THOUGH there are no doubt many here who should reflect more upon your posts?

(sorry could not resist. Get an i pad, it will change your life!).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit