The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, they are conditioned to excuse any evil that god commits or allows by claiming that if god has his finger in it, then it must by definition now be good. They throw in the 'mystery' part to try and deflect attention from the otherwise obviously weak argument.

By their logic, if the dog breeder allowed 1000 dogs to drown and could have prevented it then it's all good. But if he was locked up by dog-breeder-rival-satan and the dogs drown, well ... suddenly it's all evil. The outcome is still the same for the dogs of course, nothing has really changed but the excuse as to why it happened.

And lets not forget, they can't claim any interference or inability to intercede because an omnipotent and omniscient god has no limitations.

• cofty
    cofty

they can't claim any interference or inability to intercede because an omnipotent and omniscient god has no limitations

That should be a given, and yet attempts to qualify god's power and knowledge have been a recurring theme of this thread.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

In my experience someone on the journey, from believing in the god of the bible, to atheism, passes through a number of gates. Initially the person accepts the god of the bible as good and loving. As the person matures they begin to question the morality of the god of the bible.

Next, comes the attempt to justify the conduct of this god. Honesty eventually leads to disenchantment with their god’s morality. When their god becomes untenable to them, the person rejects much of the bible and begins to invent a god that matches up to their standards. They will often explore eastern religion and opt for a different religion that is closer to their ideals.

Many return and try to build a belief system around a gentle Jesus persona. This leads to an elaborate jigsaw of ill fitting pieces gleaned from various sources. Such as personal revelation, selected passages taken from the New Testament, while ignoring the rest of the bible, and guesswork.

Just as the jig-saw appears to be almost complete, it becomes evident that pieces are missing, ill fitting, or entirely wrong. After many years of trying to complete the jigsaw they realize that the whole exercise has been futile, because despite their best efforts it becomes clear that the god of the bible does not exist and never did. They no longer have a god to love, serve, be angry with, ask for help, special treats, or everlasting life. Game over, set and match.

• cofty
    cofty

That's a very good synopsis Gladiator.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Here is the reasoning so far from the believers:

You lot really should try the red pill sometime you know.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Flamegrilled, it doesn't work.

we saw your OBVIOUS thought process a million miles away, now you are that stubborn, you are saying it has nothing to do with a tsunami, i.e. Suffering.

This dishonesty negates answering your questions at all.

• tec
    tec

What is the difference between death from natural disaster, death from old age, death from disease, death from accident/injury, death from murder/ etc, etc?

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy imagine somebody in court accused of mass murder.

His defense is - "They would have died of old age anyway".

• tec
    tec

God did not murder anyone. They died in a natural disaster, consequence from natural movements of the earth, something that Christ himself said would be happening, something that is intricately tied to what enables life on this planet to begin with.

In any case... I asked a simple question. But lets take murder out of the equation so no one gets hung up on it. What is the difference between death from natural diaster, death from old age, death from disease, death from accident/injury, etc, etc?

peace,

tammy

• Simon
    Simon

What is the difference? What are you on!

Death in pain and terror at a young age vs death in a bed after a long fulfilling life ... you dont see a difference?

Thanks for proving my 'amoral' accusation perfectly.

"when i die i want to go qietly in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus"

(religious peopke apparently wouldnt get that joke - thgey are all dead, praise by to god)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit