The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Another theist demanding an answer to a facile and misleading analogy.

We are not playing games.

1. God observed the Asian tsunami as it evolved

2. God knew it would kill a quarter of a million people and displace 5 million more

3. God had the power to stop the tsuanmi

4. God did not stop the tsuanmi

5. Everything that god does is perfectly loving

6. Therefore allowing a tsunami to drown a quarter of a million people is a perfect act of love.

But this contradicts everything that christianity teaches about love. Jesus greatest command was "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

If we failed to prevent the violent death of others when it was within our power to do so we could not reasonably claim to be following Jesus' greatest command.

Therefore christian theism is fatally flawed, not only because of external evidence but because it is internally inconsistent.

• Simon
    Simon

Alaso Tammy, if there is no difference then why is murder prohibited in the 10 commandments? Why was cain killing abel 'bad'? why was Jesus dying of any significance whatsoever?

Religious is becoming a synonym for moronic

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Tec, you have had to dissasociate yorself so much from human reality for this to make sense to you, it has become scary.

Old age and accidental death is also suffering Tec, unnecessary for a god to introduce. To lose a loved one prematurely in a violent manner is worse, that shouldn't be news to you,

i feel sad that you have said what you just said, it is either the most delusional thing you have said, or immoral. The fact you are an advocate for the bible with this view, says much for the effects of biblical influence on the mind, ironically it explains much of what happened within it.

• Viviane
    Viviane

The old testament also punished people for negligence, like if they dug a well and someone fell in, I think, or if an axehead came flying off and hit someone? Sounds about right, it's been a long time since I read that. Even by God's own standards would be guilty of negligence.

• tec
    tec

Won't answer the question will you?

It was not an analogy. It was a simple question.

You haven't answered many questions that I have asked. You have also not responded to the answer you wanted me to elaborate upon either... that this world is not the Kingdom of God.

God has no promise with anyone in this world to protect them from natural diasters. It is not even an issue. And no, he does not owe it to us to do ANYTHING. He owes us nothing. He gave us life, He gives us guidance, He has made promises that He keeps, covenants that he upholds (even when mand does not)... and the covenant that we have with Him is through His Son... for eternal life; for the Kingdom of God.

Life on this world is going to go on as it always has. With joy and wonder and life; and also with death and suffering.

1. Tsunamis are a natural part of this world, and a result of processes that enable life ON this world.

2. Why are you adding into your summaries that 5 million people were displaced? That is a hardship... but big deal, in relation to THIS topic. Hardship and suffering are... again... part of this world. Why can you not wrap your mind around that?

3. You do not know what consequences might have occurred if God stopped the tsunami. Which is not to say that He could or could not have. But again... it is part of this world. Most people get that. Most people believe the Son of God when He said these things would happen, when He said we would have suffering, and we would die. The promise is that we will also LIVE, in the Kingdom. Not live forever or be free from pain and suffering in this world. Just the opposite. Why can you not wrap your mind around that?

4. God did not stop the tsunami, yes... that is obvious.

5. Everything that God does IS of love, yes. That doesn't mean everyone is capable of recognizing that because their goal (life forever free of disease and suffering and death right NOW) is not the same as His. They are limited in their sight. God is not. Love for His children, and according to His plan and timeline... which ensures that none of His children are lost. Lost from life, eternal. Once again, as was warned, everyone in this world/life dies. Including the sons/children of God... until Christ returns. People whose faith is in Christ and God know this. Including those who died in and/or survived the tsunami and other natural diasters.

6. There is no therefore. It is not even an issue, unless this world is all you can see, and so you demand what is given in the Kingdom to be given for this world... and most often without even upholding what is required of you from the covenant to be in that Kingdom.

It is simply part of this world. Which, again, is not HIS Kingdom.

Peace to you,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Alaso Tammy, if there is no difference then why is murder prohibited in the 10 commandments? Why was cain killing abel 'bad'? why was Jesus dying of any significance whatsoever?

I did not say there was no difference. I asked what WAS the difference... and I took out death by murder, so as not to confuse the issue.

Murder is someone else CAUSING the death of another, causing the death of a brother. Deliberately, from anger or jealousy (as the case of Cain), or perhaps greed, whatever the reason.

The rest of the comments seem to be focusing on that. I took it out of the equation.

Peace,

tammy

• Viviane
    Viviane

Tammy, I have a quick question. I read over some of the stuff you wrote, about Adam and Eve being spirit creatures. If they were never even supposed to be on the Earth, why was it create? Why would God send them to a planet that would kill millions of their children? Is that a "sins of the father" sort of thing that we just need to accept?

Even if there WAS a good reason to NOT stop the tsunami, couldn't he have warned them? If there would have been even worse consequences from that, why can't God just tell us?

Your point number 6 is not true, no one demanding what God said would be in heaven, just saying "how about a home that doesn't kill us?"

• Simon
    Simon

Tammy ... did your god interfere to confuse languages to intentionally prevent mankind's unity?

Did he stop the sun so the Israelites could slaughter people putting them at a disadvantage?

Did he cause the worst 'natural disaster' ever? (the flood)

and so on, and so on.

Your god is an interfering little shit isn't he and yet when he could do good you claim he can't interfere.

Sick, sck, sick ... like your psychotic god.

• adamah
    adamah

Simon said- The basic problem is that religious people believe that anything god does immediately makes it loving and right and proper. If he orders people be slaughtered right after commanding people not to kill ... well, that makes it right even though it contradicts his own edict.

Except "thou shalt not kill" applied ONLY to one's fellow members of the Mosaic covenant, i.e. members of the 12 tribes were NOT to kill EACH OTHER. Those who heard the reading of the 10 commandments in the Torah weren't confused or bothered at the idea of killing NON-Jews (Gentiles), since they didn't even think it appllied to all those nasty Canaanites and Philistines who's lands they "were promised" (pre-hoc rationalization?).

In fact, killing one's enemies in battle was NOT considered as bloodshed in the Torah, since it was justified killing which didn't incur bloodguilt on the individual OR the Nation of Israel in the eyes of God. The same concept applies to battlefields today: we don't hold soldiers liable for killing enemy combatants; instead, we decorate them as war heroes.

Of course, Xianity later broadened that concept of "thou shalt not kill" to apply to ALL humans, when that was not the original intent; it's moving the goalpost, a later addition of Xianity to clean up the onerous bigotry and racism found in the OT.

(and even when God caused someone's death (eg Ananias), it's ALSO justified by telling themselves 'God is love', and blaming the victim, so by definition anything God does is excused by circular logic, propped up with God's mysterious ways.)

Simon said- If he could but didn't chose to stop a natural disaster that kills hundreds of thousands ... well it's suddenly an act of love. If he allows millions of children under 5 to die every year, women to be raped and murdered and just watches it happen ... well, it's nuttin' but holy love.

Yup. The greatest act of natural evil in the Bible was CAUSED by God, wiping out BILLIONS of people in the Flood of Noah and justified in the name of eliminating evil-doers; it is excused as an act of love for the eight survivors (!). Hell, that's the ENTIRE POINT of the Flood account, using intimidation tactics to communicate implicitly that God rules by a Hobson's choice, using a "my way or the highway to Hell" approach.

It's undeniable that the Bible is filled with carnage and acts which show a lack of respect for life: that's HOW the Bible supports the "appeal to authority", creating a climate of terror and intimidation.

Heck, I recently thought of the case of Samson, the original prototype of a suicide bomber who is even mentioned by name as a "hero of faith" in Hebrews 11:32; Samson killed not only himself, but all the other evil ones in a suicidal act that killed the infidel pagans.

TEC, how do you excuse Samson's 'act of faith', the act of a "Jihadist for Jehovah"?

Simon said- The real problem is that religious people are totally amoral and have no real sense of right and wrong which is why they rely on someone else to tell them but they also lack the reasoning skills to realize that the explanations they are given make no sense.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call believers "totally amoral" (my sister is a JW, and has the sweetest and most-innocent heart of anyone I've EVER met in MY life, bar none), but the Bible absolutely DISCOURAGES independent thinking and use of morality, polemicizing it as the folly of mankind. Morality and ethics tends to fail to flourish under such thought-stopping environment, which is the entire POINT of growing sheep, followers. But even that's a stretch, since many people leave the JWs and get along just fine without any fears of collapsing into a ball of fear of moral uncertainty.

Simon said- The rest of us have better developed sense of justice and a standard of right and wrong - basically, we're better and more loving than their god and of course they don't like that because despite what they lack, deep down they can see it

Agreed, except with a slight modification: the rest of us have a CHANCE of developing our sense of ethics: it's NOT guaranteed that the individual will develop their ethical sensibilities (many adopt a reactionary rebellious streak, living their lives by inverting their moral codes, as if the complete inverse of JW morality). Many JWs exit, and mistakenly tell themselves they were granted critical-thinking skills and a fully-developed ethical system as a parting gift from the JWs. Nope, as that takes active effort, giving it alot of time and effort (unlike the JW system were easy answers were delivered on a platter literally with someone knocking on their door, to be followed via obedience to authority).

Cofty said- In other words theism isn't condemned by external evidence by by its own internal contradictions.

To which the theist would respond YOU perceive "internal contradictions" in the Bible, based on YOUR unwillingness to hear the explanation, since you are completely unwilling to even contemplate.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your argument is an 'appeal to personal ignorance', the very same argument used by Perry (in the negative form) when he says that since HE doesn't see the signs of global climate change in his neighborhood, it isn't occuring. Obviously it's flawed logic, since you cannot extrapolate from a small region to the larger; you need to look at ALL the evidence (in this case, it's a common error encountered in scientific studies of 'insufficient sample size', which causes a lack of truly-representative data).

You are saying that what YOU perceive as an "internal contradiction" MUST apply to everyone else, too, which simply isn't the truth: many believers find these various theodicies perfectly able to satisfy the concerns that YOU find troublesome. You cannot overcome your biases to even consider that possibility, since you're projecting your beliefs onto others.

There's good reason to state that "no one magic bullet exists to kill theist beliefs", since people BELIEVE for MANY DIFFERENT REASONS, and hence there is no 'one-size-fits-all answer' to counter such beliefs.

Adam

• cofty
    cofty

Tammy - I have two main issues with what you replied.

Firstly it is horribly, embarrassingly dishonest and avoids the question entirely.

Secondly it demeans human life. It trivialises human sufferring in a way that is morally repugnant. It makes the violent deaths of a quarter of a million people and the devastation of 5 million more nothing but mere inconvenience. Your religion takes mainstream christian theism to a new depth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit