They are Definitely Attacking "Higher Education"

by XBEHERE 129 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Don't even start thinking about getting any Higher Education and trying to learn things on your own. That is bad. Very bad! Bad, bad, bad!!!

• If any are putting their trust in the education of this world, material things, or human organizations, they must change their way of thinking now. You must be ready to help any who may not be putting their complete trust in Jehovah. - WT, 11/15/2013, p. 20, paragraphs 17, Stupefied version. [Emphasis added]

Just obey us, even if you think what we say is strange or unusual, even if it makes no sense at all and especially if you disagree with us:

• At that time, the direction that you receive from Jehovah’s organization may seem strange or unusual. But all of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not, because obeying these instructions will save our lives - WT, 11/15/2013, p. 20, paragraphs 17, Stupefied version. [Emphasis added]

I certainly don't want our loving God, Jehovah, to put me to death at Armageddon because I disobediently went to college and got that evil, Satanic degree and became an engineer, or a teacher, or a scientist or God forbid, a doctor!!!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

The attack on education is relentless. Yet on bethel applications and applications for working at Warwick, applicants are asked their level of education , university is on it. Watchtower wants it both ways. The level of hypocrisy is unbelievable.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Satanic degree and became an engineer, or a teacher, or a scientist or God forbid, a doctor"

Aren't the COs building their own cars now, rather than using vehicles designed by people with "worldly higher learning"?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The WTBTS policy has changed considerably since 1992 .....

w92 11/1 pp. 19-20 pars. 16-17 Education With a Purpose ***

There was a brief period of respite in the early 1990s. It didn't last very long, though.

Oh the folly of letting the whims of eight old powerfreaks in NY make your decisions for you!

Bill.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

the pattern I see it this:

kids that go to college/university obviously don't pioneer right out of highschool. Typically, non-pioneer HS grads that go straight into the work force tend to marry good little JW girls young and fresh in their late teens and early 20's.

But if a college/univerisity student graduates at 22 years old, then spends a year or two focusing on finding employment, then their social network consists of mostly non-JW's and they are old enough to think for themselves and see the BOrg for what it is.

Good little pioneers would rarely have the mental capacity to think independantly of the BOrg and the 19 year old married couples tend to jump right into JW congregational life so they too, don't have the objectivity to question.

the reality is, if a young person delays "commitment" to the BOrg either by marriage or pioneering when they are fresh out of HS, their ability to think independantly of the BOrg walk them straight out the front door.... and this is exactly what is happening

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well said, wallsofjericho. I know some people attribute this anti-education stance to a conscious attempt to maintain cultlike control over the Witnesses, but as Billy pointed out, the guys at the top don't even understand the need for higher education since they themselves never ended up needing it.

In reality, it could be as simple as this: the GB sees that higher education makes people "fall out of the truth", therefore it must be dangerous and they need to stop people from doing it. That's not to say that I'm absolutely ruling out intentional deception, or at the very least, control freak behavior on their part ("Why won't people just do what we say?!"). They just strike me as being on the defensive against a world that seems to conspire against them at every turn, and not being able to see the web of lies they're caught up in.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Billy: Aren't the COs building their own cars now, rather than using vehicles designed by people with "worldly higher learning"?

I'm sure of it. And the Bethelites are now performing open heart-surgery (bloodless, of course) when they are done working the printing presses for the day.

• designs
    designs

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" perfect

• stillin
    stillin

I've had several conversations with younger ones since the WT study about the evils of getting educated. I make the point that NOT being educated is not any sort of a badge of honor. It may simply mean that one was too lazy to pursue a better life.

I can tell that it sinks in...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Isn't the Governing Body a perfect discription of what Jesus meant when he said:

"Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."

— Luke 6:39-40

Dumb And Dumber/Governing Body and Followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit