They are Definitely Attacking "Higher Education"

by XBEHERE 129 Replies latest jw friends

• rmt1
    rmt1

This position Does have the unassailable benefit that it helps the shepherds to protect the flock from wind chimes.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

WT March 15 2014, page 21

8 Simply put, adult Christian children
    have an obligation to make sure that
    their parents’ material needs are met.

So.... the parents have an obligation to deny them the opportunity to do well in life and, when Jehovah doesn't bother to drag his sorry arse out of his privy and fulfil the promises the WT made on his behalf, the kids don't have the right to leave the parents in the mess they created for themselves by relying on the WT's doomsday madness as a retirement plan.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Not sure why but Russel was against higher education as well.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Ignorance is Strength- for cult leaders. A lot of people feel threatened by people more educated than them. They feel inadequate so they belittle education. I copped a lot of it as a teacher and jw: gasp! Uni educated, and an educator herself!

Even simple things like reading is frowned upon. It amazed when I talked about something about history, geography, culture, news, science, literature, languages and jw would say, "wow, how do you know that!?" And I'd have to say, "um, I read. You'd know it too if you read..." But the cult gives them so much stuff to do and crap to read, that even the ones who like to read and learn say, " I'd love to read more but I don't have the time..."

• thedog1
    thedog1

Black sheep, aside from your, to my mind, colourful language, you make a good point in relation to parents not giving their children the opportunity to do well, but the children still have a responsibility to care for them, according to the WT. I recall a case my wife told me about in her old cong where a bro had retired thinking the end was near and that there was no need to be worried about a good pension, and had to go back to work in his late 60's to make ends meet. His special pioneer daughter, a looper by all accounts, continued to pioneer when her elderly parents needed her help, leaving it up to the local cong to do everything for her.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS tells special pioneers, missionaries, DOs and COs not to be quick to leave their special positions and encourages their parents congregations to pick up the slack. The recent WT study article says that.

Check www.jw.org

• thedog1
    thedog1

8 Simply put, adult Christian children have an obligation to make sure that their parents’ material needs are met. Paul was discussing believing relatives, but parents who are not members of the Christian congregation should not be neglected. Exactly how children provide care varies. No two situations are alike. The needs, temperament, and health of those involved differ. Some older ones have many children; others just one child. Some can count on support from the State; others cannot. Personal preferences of those needing care also differ. Thus, it would not be wise or loving to criticize the way in which someone is trying to care for aged relative

• thedog1
    thedog1

Full-time servants whose theocratic assignments have taken them far from home may face particularly difficult decisions. Those serving as Bethelites, missionaries, and traveling overseers all view their assignment as precious, as a blessing from Jehovah. Still, if their parents get sick, the first reaction might be, ‘We need to leave our assignment and return home to look after our parents.’ Yet, it would be wise to consider prayerfully whether that is what the parents really need or desire. No one should hastily give up service privileges, and it may not always be necessary. Could the health issue be temporary, one with which some in the parents’ congregation would be happy to help?

• thedog1
    thedog1

11 Consider, for example, the case of two fleshly brothers who served far from home. One was a missionary in South America, the other worked at world headquarters, in Brooklyn, New York. The brothers’ elderly parents needed help. The sons and their wives visited the parents in the Far East to see what help could best be provided and how. In time, the couple in South America were weighing leaving their assignment to return home. Then they received a telephone call from the coordinator of the body of elders in the parents’ congregation. Those elders had discussed the situation and wanted the missionaries to continue in their assignment as long as possible. The elders appreciated this couple’s service and were determined to do all they could to help them care for their parents. All in the family appreciated the loving concern.

12. What should be the concern of a Christian family regarding any caregiving decision that they make?

12 Whatever strategy a Christian family adopts to care for the needs of elderly parents, all concerned will certainly want to make sure that it reflects well on God’s name. Never would we want to be like the religious leaders in Jesus’ day. (Matt. 15:3-6) We want our decisions to honor God and the congregation.—2 Cor. 6:3.

• thedog1
    thedog1

16 Out of affection for beloved older ones, some Christians have volunteered their time and energy to meet whatever needs they reasonably can. They make it a point to show extra interest in older members of the congregation. Some volunteers divide the tasks with others in the congregation and care for older ones on a rotation basis. While realizing that their own circumstances do not allow them to engage in the full-time ministry, they are happy to assist the children to remain in their chosen careers as long as possible. What an excellent spirit such brothers show! Of course, their generosity does not relieve children of the responsibility to do what they can for their parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit