They are Definitely Attacking "Higher Education"

by XBEHERE 129 Replies latest jw friends

• new light
    new light

This is sad. It seemed like they were gravitating toward allowing higher education. Apparently the larger income and donations of the well-employed is not worth the inevitable exodus that would spawn from the knowledge provided in those damn general education requirement classes.

I am happy to say I started a state university education at 35, am set to graduate in a year with a 4.0, and will be working on a Ph.D in cognitive psychology after that. I am intending, among other things, to conduct studies comparing the psychology of JWs to random samples of non-JWs. Being a JW is so influential on one's cognition that they just might see the world differently in a quantifiable way.

A university education is much more than a ticket to a good job. When taken with a gratitude-informed awareness and presence, it is the key to a completely new set of eyes.

• rmt1
    rmt1

"I am intending, among other things, to conduct studies comparing the psychology of JWs to random samples of non-JWs. Being a JW is so influential on one's cognition that they just might see the world differently in a quantifiable way."

The wife has accused me, because of being so long in the cult and sitting through thousands of hours of platform, that my ear-brain connection actually turns off when I hear her say certain thing (things that do not make sense to me), or details irrelevant to what is at hand, etc. I may just have no memory allocation for these things.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Psh, that's just a guy thing, welcome to the club

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

You guys might want to watch the generalizations being tossed around as a factual consensus. That's not to say that some of the bleak scenarios posted in this thread don't exist, but just how rampant and extensive is subject to personal experience. I'm thinking right now of the congregations that I've belonged to and when it comes to the older dubs, most likely would not have attended college even if the WT's tentacles hadn't have got to them. I'm talking working class, proletariat, poor, black, Good Will Hunting, Archie Bunker types, etc.. Some are in low income geriatric high rises, some in projects, some stay with either dub or non-dub family. However, to contrast your statement, Snare, most of these ones are certainly old now and to be sure are still waiting on the end, but they're not starving, most are homeowners, able to go on vacation a couple or few times a year, and buy a new car if necessitated. In other words, they're not in sh!t. They're not in sh!t no more than I'm in the janitorial or window washing business.

That said, I'm under the impression that the writers and those that influence WT articles on education are from the same time frame as the older dubs I referred to earlier. For them, a college education wasn't absolutely necessary and I believe they're transferring their experiences on this generation irresponsibly. The world has changed, but they're too far out of the loop in Walkhill and Warwick to understand and relate. Also, not everybody is college material, and it's delusional to think that attending will set someone for life. I know far too many people that went to trade schools who are doing better than many college graduates. That's not to say I don't find the WT's stance on education to be irresponsible, because I do and it's one of my biggest beefs with them.

Another thing, the whole congregation vs. family responsibility is such a fine line to walk. I can't tell you how many people I've moved, did shopping for, sometimes spending my own money on items that should have been a family responsibility, taken to the meetings, taken to the doctor, etc.. Meanwhile, these folks had adult family members, often adult sons and daughters, both dub and non-dub that were capable but simply irresponsible. To be fair, sometimes it was just more convenient to make a call to someone in the congregation. Again, this is another thing that I think gets forgotten here on JWN, is that you cannot generally say that older ones are forgotten in the congregation. I remember as a kid my father dragging me along to help clean a roach infested apartment of an older sister who had adult children that should have handled it. I might give my identity away by revealing this but it's important to me that this thread has balance. In the long run, three elders got together, including my father, they pooled their money together and moved her. It wasn't that her adult relatives and kids weren't capable or relations were strained due to the WT. No, it was irresponsibility on the part of the family. My belief is, primary responsibility lies with family, that includes DFd adult kids. The funny thing is, the DFd and non-JW relatives will have contact with their elderly JW relatives, but will leave the uncomfortable work up to the congregation. Not saying its a general rule, but I've seen it and experienced it enough.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"Also, not everybody is college material, and it's delusional to think that attending will set someone for life. I know far too many people that went to trade schools who are doing better than many college graduates."

True that; but it should be their choice, not because their spiritual leadership paints college as from the Devil.

No is saying you will be set for life if you attend college; this is a logical fallacy that the WT uses that you are repeating here, and it is bunk. No one, not colleges, not advocates for colleges, say you will be set for life.

The question is this: will college give you the chance to earn up to $2 million more in your life than not going? Yes.

Will a degree get you in the door for an interview, even if it is not in your field? Yes.

And nearly every college graduate I know is doing quite well, much better than those with no college or with trade or vocational training.

Face it: most white collar jobs, you will not even get the interview if you don't have a 4 year degree.

You won't get in the door.

In the face of worsening job conditions, and fewer opportunities in the trades, the WT has made it harder to make a living.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The fact of the matter is this....the truth isn't the truth just a made up version of someone who thought there is a truth.

No one in the organization is ultimately important so it doesn't matter that they 'thought'they had was the truth.........in the JW world the truth is what the WT dreams up in their next issue.

This is a 19th century religion developed at a time when concern for human resources was not important. Nothing has changed. The JW religion has more in common with North Korea then any other place on this planet.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi EXEHERE,

"CO out-right asked the question: How are the friends doing in your cong. as regards pursuing higher education?"

That's interesting. I agree with your conclusion, if it can be established this question is being asked of more than one body of elders in the circuit. If it was just to one body, then perhaps someone in the congregation has complained to the CO about a higher education emphasis. But as you say, a convention talk or strong Watchtower article may reveal the thinking. I wanted to share something your original post triggered as a thought from my childhood.

My father, although an alcoholic and disfellowshipped still strongly believed Jehovah's Witnesses were the only true religion. He was eventually reinstated a few years before he died in 1991. Anyway, he often liked to tell stories of this or that happening in the congregation. One was of a school principal, if I recall correctly, who became one of Jehovah's Witnesses. To my father this man had impressive education credentials, but was not humble. He pushed for the opportunity to give more substantial parts and was eventually assigned the instruction talk. This would be in the late 1950s or early 1960s, so I am not sure how all the protocol for the TMS ran back then. "Well,..." my dad when on, "his talk fell as flat as p*ss on a plate!" To this day, I don't know what the urine on a plate idiom really means, but anyway... the point for my dad, Jehovah did not provide his Holy Spirt, so without that, all the education the world meant nothing.

This post got me thinking about that again and it occured to me, historically Witnesses have taken pride in being uneducated. As if lack of education was yet another indication of Jehovah's blessing on their work. They did all these impressive things, like translation, vast printing, construction and people organizing work, all with willing, but uneducated hands. As with my dad, I think being around folks with advanced education can be intimidating. Could it be, some of the leadership are feeling a bit insecure about their own lack of secular education and are therefore wishing to lash out?

Cheers,

-Randy

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Heck yeah Randy. When I was at uni then later a teacher as a jw heaps of them were intimidated by me. Comments like, " you university people only use big words to make us feel stupid," when of course we are more articulate because we have educatio and not because we want to deliberately make jws feel dumb. I got counseled on the school for using a big word and I hit the roof. On meeting me and knowing I was a teacher many jws would say first, " oh I hated school, hated [my curriculum area]." Fair go, when I meet someone and find out what they do, the first thing I do isn't to run down their job ie "oh I hate buildings, especially ones with Windows you have to wash, I hate mops and buckets, always hated cleaning the bathroom or I hate shopping there, the staff are awful..." But as an educator with education you are fair game for jw disparagement...and I know it comes from insecurity because the odd jw with education or who at least valued it even if he or she wasn't allowed to have it never carried on like that.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi thedog1

I assume you do know that the text I was referring to was 1st Kings 18:27

Unfortunately, for many faithful JWs, it is the kids that ignored their parent's WT influenced advice and went and got themselves a decent education that are in the best position to help them in their old age. If they are lucky, they are kids they haven't alienated because they didn't join, DAd, faded or were DFd.

Quoting the experiences of the lucky ones, isn't evidence that the whole JW experience is something to aspire to.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

SFPW... The troll or the person, (not sure who we are talking to)

The study data tells us from more than one source, with a ten year gap (latest 2009) that JW's are CONSISTANTLY the MOST UNEDUCATED religious denomination AND THE POOREST (Second to old black origin churches).

if you or someone you know is a JW and in education, they are swimming against the tide of JW written and unwritten rules & governing body council. You may have an education, but you post on an apostate website too. When I was 14, a JW in our hall & circuit got baptised on the saturday of a special day assembly, he was going to university on the monday. The whole circuit was bitching about this poor guy and they even did a talk on it, using a JW kid who decided against uni and chose pioneering, from the same hall as this guy. My mum even said congrats to his mum but "sorry to hear he is going to university".

To pretend that such things didn't or don't happen is simply untrue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit