I like you more if you are literratte

by usualusername 97 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

.....all outside books are money, pride and ego? I love my books! And the library is free.

Defiantruth, I agree with you except for the ridiculous way Americans hold on to the imperial measurement system. And when are you going to come up with a successful dollar coin?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

yes the libary is free...but if you sell 10,ooo books at 10 dollers thats .....money.

How many books in the libary sold only 10, ooo copies?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oooooh. Are you familiar with the public library's mandate? There should be free and untrammeled access to knowledgeby the public. Librarians can be absolutely fierce about this. Which is why you will find internet access at the public library, too.

Books are an excellent way to transmit knowledge both over time and over a broad audience.

We now have the power to self-publish like lulu.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Tornapart -

I think spelling and grammar is important in a book

I guess that's your grammatical joke of the day since you think spelling and grammar IS important . . . !!

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

Jgnat. I agree it would be nice if we all used the metric system. It will never happen. Look at the way we build our stick frame houses in The States. Studs and rafters are placed on 12inch and 16inch centers. Plywood and sheet rock are sold as 4 foot sheets. Under the Clinton Administration a study was conducted to try to change over and the cost was counter intuitive. Imagine the cost of changing every interstate sign in America. The UK road system has about 2000 miles total while the US has about 150,000 miles of highways and another 50,000 miles of interstates. It would cost way to much in these tough economic times. I don't have a mental construct of what 20 cm is however I could probably draw one foot out to a half an inch of accuracy. I would love to see the change, but I am so comfortable with the standard system.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

Speaking of dollars...... I love the American 2 dollar bill. I always have. You can still get them at banks and I love the way it confuses cashiers. They look at the drawers they have for 1,5,10,20,50, and 100 dollar bills and there is nowhere to put the two dollar bills. It cracks me up every time. And yes, it does not take much to amuse me.

• cofty
    cofty

I guess that's your grammatical joke of the day since you think spelling and grammar IS important . . . !! - Shirleyw

Shirley, why are you still criticising others when you are the one who wrote, " many folks here cannot spelled baptize "?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

maybe Jgnat..but in my libary 95% of the books that can be borrowed have all sold over a million copies...

publishing is money....

• tornapart
    tornapart

Shirley, I only meant that it was important in professional writings and not on a public, international forum like this one.

• tornapart
    tornapart

The one thing I don't like though, is when someone writes in 'text speak'. Some people are used to writing and reading it but for lots of others it is very difficult to comprehend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit