I like you more if you are literratte

by usualusername 97 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

and baptise does have a "z".- cofty

Is that so? who has made the spelling/typo mistake. I think your tired mister.

• cofty
    cofty

Good catch ZZZZzzzzzzzz

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Speling kowntz

• prologos
    prologos

my spell check does not work here, on email it is tri - lingual, automatic self correcting.

thank you for the good queens english correctness we get here as examples.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Thou art an idiot!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

BaptiZed is an accepted spelling, look it up

So now, moving on, what's wrong with the folks who spell mastUrbation masterbation, is that spelling accepted somewhere in another country I'm not aware of? If not, don't do it anymore if you can't spell it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Is it nice to know we now have spelling Nazis? Try typing from a phone keyboard. This is not a business. Also, how do we decide whether to use British or American usage?

Furthermore, I know from legal discussions that the U.S. Supreme Court justices go definition shopping. In my opinion, they should stick with the Oxford English dictionary. Their clerks gather about fifteen different dictionaries and decide which definition best suits the point the justice wants to make. In other words, I will keep opening dictionaries until I meet a definition that suits the results I want. I did the same thing when I wrote. Dictionaries do not have identical entries. Language is not set in stone. English is not French. It constantly evolves. Many times I have sworn something is wrong with a spelling or a meaning. When I check the dictionary, however, I find there may be a variance among classes or geographical areas. My understand is that the French have stringent requirements to keep their language pure. American is a mutt language.

This is not school or a business. People's ideas are more important to me. When someone achieves perfection, let them make fun of others. X member may not have great spelling skills but perhaps that person has a good heart. They could be a wonderful visual artist or a brain surgeon. Spelling is a minor skill.

I don't see a spell check on this forum. People suggested writing in Word and copying and pasting. I can't believe the pretentiousness. It simply is not hospitable.

• jgnat
    jgnat

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

Pet peeve? Gates' software does not allow for Canadian spelling.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have never corrected anyone's spelling or grammar and I never will, I make my fair share of mistakes, and obviously everyone uses different tablets/phones/computers. But if someone doesn't know the difference between there, their and they're, or your and you're, and it is not a one time mistake or auto correct gone wrong, then it's hard for me to take their post seriously.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is Canadian spelling? I assumed that Canadians followed the British rules. Jgnat, is there a geographical split between East and West, too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit