I like you more if you are literratte

by usualusername 97 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Etude is a great word.

étude ˈeɪtjuːd , eɪˈtjuːd / noun noun: étude ; plural noun: études

1. 1. a short musical composition, typically for one instrument, designed as an exercise to improve the technique or demonstrate the skill of the player.
  • Etude
    Etude

LisaRose:

Thanks. In the last few days, I've been enjoying a bit of Scotch a friend brought from a trip to Paris. It should have been Cognac, but I'm not going to quarrel with that. So, without implying I'm a lush, my errors grow proportionately to the number of drinks. I do find them, the errors. I wish I could go back and correct them. I learned to speak French many years ago and I realized I had it when I started dreaming in French. I still cross words between all three languages, Spanish, English and French, even though I've forgotten a lot of French. My handle Étude is not simply a reflection of a French word but because, as jgnat points out, it's a musical form and I play some on the piano.

• Etude
    Etude

I can illustrate my problem this way. In my post above (414) started to write: "I'm suddenly reminded of a joke regarding a grammatical Nazi..." I changed the sentence to say "I'm suddenly remembering a joke regarding a grammatical Nazi..." What happened is that is that I changed "reminded" to "remembering" and left the "of" in place. So the sentence looks really awkward. I think the site gives you like 10 seconds to edit or the post commits. And so my bad grammar will linger in perpetuity.

• besty
    besty

@defianttruth

No need in trying to say,"I'm right your wrong" just know that everyone has his or her own way.

if you check my original post you'll see I corrected the OP to the more commonly accepted AMERICAN spelling, and then a smiley face.

It wan an ironic attempt to highlight the juxtaposition of content of the OP with subject of the OP. Never mind.

I lived in Cali for 3 years and was there just a few weeks back - I'm not unfriendly to my cousins :-) and certainly don't hold that the UK dictates spelling any more. We are strongest together (USA internet + UK www, Watson + Crick re DNA etc)

* our country is called the UK, not Britain or England see http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/171034/1/Guide-to-the-UK-for-Americans#.Uo20a0pdV5o

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Besty, I really think that while it can be, our country should be known as ScotlandPlus. England ,Wales and N.I being the Plus, as compared to Scotland they are not very important. LOL

On the subject of spelling, if one more Poster puts a C in Apostasy I shall have to use the letter C, along with three other letters, to describe them.

• besty
    besty

See you next Tuesday then :-)

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Rip Van Winkle, I am supposed to be embarrassed because I made a typo? I guess I asked for that because I commented on the mistakes of others. The difference is:

A) I was very clear I was not talking about typos or autocorrects, as I said, I make more than my share of mistakes of that sort

B) I never called any individual out on their mistakes or tried to embarrass them, I have been tempted at times, especially when the post itself seems stupid as well as unreadable, but I never have.

So, thanks for the cheap shot. I have a Kindle, sometimes the writing is too small for my old eyes, especially in the evening, as I have serious pain and fatigue issues.

• prologos
    prologos

before you correct a mis-spelling, look at it from out of the box, it might be a funny insight.

the leave it. you may have coined a new word.

there may be no such thing as a sterile mistake,

look at The Minnesota Mining and Mineral Company's POST IT, a failed, mistaken glue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit