I like you more if you are literratte

by usualusername 97 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

If someone makes a valid point but does not spell well it colours* my judgement*.

If someone makes a valid point but does not spell well it colors my judgment.

Fixed for the mainly American audience :-)

• happy@last
    happy@last

This thread reminded me of the following:

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I find it annoying when 'annointed' and 'annomaly' are written.

I've noticed more typos on JWN posts since touchscreen keyboards have become popular. I have slightly more tolerance for misspelling and bad grammar on discussion boards - a non-formal, chatty environment - and we are often blind to our own mistakes (I am). However, like Watkins,

"I'm a bit judgmental of websites that have a lot of grammatical [and spelling] errors - don't they know what "proofread" means?! It looks very unprofessional, careless,"

and it totally undermines or detracts from any serious point they are trying to make.

happy@last - got your message loud and clear!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Punk music was a beautiful form of expression for many who never had the opportunity nor talent to play in tune.

Or as the writter F. Scott Fitzgerald said " when ever you feel like critizising someone, just remember not all the people in this world have had the advantages you have had"

Or as a wise man once said " there is no such thing as a badly written expression, only badly read expression" ok maybe i am not so wise?

• besty
    besty

I think it's better to strive for higher standards - my 0.02

• tornapart
    tornapart

I think spelling and grammar is important in a book, journalistic article or website etc. It is not important on a multi-national forum.

So what? Everybody makes mistakes all the time. Even those who pride themselves on their spelling/grammar. I've noticed lots of mistakes on here by people. Most often it is by people using phones (very easy to hit the wrong key or have the predictive text mess it up). Or by people for whom English is not their mother tongue. For those who are English speakers from infancy, imagine how hard it is to think and to write in another language! Try putting your thoughts down in French, Spanish, Italian, German. If you're not bi-lingual, you will find it very difficult to do without making a mistake.

Then there's the slang, the differences between cultures, the writing styles and the differences in spelling between British English, American English and Australian English. As well as the dialectual differences within those.

Also, what if someone has dyslexia? They've had to battle with a learning difficulty that the rest of us don't even comprehend!

My conclusion is, it doesn't matter about spelling and grammar on this board. What matters is the thoughts that are produced and shared.

• Perversion of a truth
    Perversion of a truth

One of my pet peeves is to/two/too. Or lazy speech, like when people drop the "ba" off of probably, , saying "probly". I've instead decided to add a "ba", pronouncing the word "probabably".... lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

New H&H, I tried to find the source of that quote, but failed. I disagree.

The worst writing, even if grammatically correct and proofread, has to be academic papers. I had an epiphany years ago that there was no fault in my understanding; it was bad writing!

I worship clarity. A life-changing book, and I am not exaggerating here, is On Writing Well by Zinsser. Zinsser convinced me to re-read my work and simplify, simplify. As I did so, I would ask myself, "Is this what I really mean?" and if so, I'd push "send". Writing for clarity made me a clearer thinker, a bolder speaker. It changed me.

When I read a garbled message here on the board, I wonder if the writer has thought through his message? Either that, or wonder if a bottle of rye is nearby.

I ask you, are my posts generally appreciated? Are they pithy and to the point? That is no accident. I proofread, sometimes editing a sentence three times before sending.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Jgnet, you write with honesty and clarity, but we have lost to death many on this site who articulated themselfs with a bottle and confused words...its a sad thing if it comes down to grammer...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Are you suggesting that some members were driven out by ridicule?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit