jw and jw defenders, have you been born again?

by unstopableravens 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

tec: i think we are on the same page here,(mostly lol) :)

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

"you cant say 99% where did that number come from?"

doesn't matter if 99% or 89% or even 20% for that matter.

anyway, given that not even 5% of the worlds population is evangelical, about 10% if you count in pentecostals, sta, lds and jehovah's witnesses, and given the disagreements between the different groups, some of which you refer to as cults, counting at least 8 bigger branches and hundereds of smaller ones, there's not much left for the born again übermenschen.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Isn't this what it means to be born again?

3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, a that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6 NIV)

From the context, I would say that baptism is certainly part of it. We go in to the water the "old man" and come out rebirthed in to our new spiritual nature.

• tec
    tec

Was Paul speaking of baptism of water... or baptism of fire (spirit)?

(As John the baptist said, "I baptize you with water for repentance... but after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with holy spirit and with fire..." Matthew 3:11)

Just something to consider, depending upon whose words one gives credit. To be born again, one must be born of the Spirit, as Christ taught. Anyone can be baptized in water... (jws use it as a dedication or vow, right?)... but that does not mean that they have been born of the Spirit.

Peace to you,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Has my spirit been made alive? YES.

I am very much in tune with my spirituality- those facets of our lives that have nothing to do with secular activities.

But the rest of your narrow definition doesn't apply to me.

Also, how can anyone tell us what John the Baptist or Paul said until you qualify which parts of the Bible you accept?
    I mean, if anyone else quotes a different part of the Bible that leads to anything other than what you accept, you will just say that is not true scripture.

So before all you born-again's who quote or refer to the Bible decide to quote or refer to the Bible, you better clear your scriptures with TEC.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

whats going on here? i agree with tammy on something else! praise the lord! lol

• tec
    tec

Are you talking to me, OTWO? Because I am truly not going "there" with you, or anyone else. What you or anyone does with any comment I make or any understanding I receive and share... is completely up to you, and up to them.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

The bible is not a book, it's a cobbled-together collection of 66 books written by authors who do not always agree with each other.

John did not write the gospel that now bears his name. It is a fraud, as are Matthew, Mark and Luke as well as many of the epistles. If we want to know what the annonimous authors of John meant in John 3 we need to read it in context.

Nobody ever said "born again" that is modern evangelical jargon. The verse says "born from above". The writer has already laid the groundwork for this in the introduction to the book

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believedin his name, he gave the right to become children of God, children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. - John 1:11-1

Each gospel writer had his own purpose in writing and his own message. Using one book to interpret a different book is to do violence to the text.

Because evangelical christians view the bible as one harmonious book written by god they never really grasp the original intent of the authors.

• tec
    tec

Lol... Unstop.

Peace to you as always,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Whether one says born again... or one says born from above... the answer is still the same from Christ.

To do so... one must be born of the Spirit.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit