Emergency relief fund for the Philippines. How will it work.

by joe134cd 95 Replies latest jw experiences

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Worldly people are on the site as busy too, Emeth... In fact ANYONE who lived there and did not die is on site and busy. There is no other choice if you want to live. Jws are not unique in that respect. I won't discredit anyone's efforts to help in such a disaster. I also wouldn't toot my own horn if I was there, or try to elevate myself. I certainly wouldn't capitalize on a disaster for publicity.

Individual JWs and "Worldly" people = GOOD

Organization/GB Worship/Us vs Them = BAD

DD

• emeth
    emeth

@datadog & Sir82

I did not claim that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones on the ground or the only victims. Its a terrible tragedy. However i consider witnesses as my family so that is why i mentioned them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Those of us who consider ourselves citizens of the world feel that all Phillipinos are our family, we shed tears for them all, we do what we can for them all, we feel for them all.

• kepler
    kepler

Given that most everyone on this topic reads as sceptical about what the WTS will do in this situation - and that includes myself - I would suggest that serious consideration of alternate means to help people in the Philippines should be pursued here and off-line. Three organizations I can think of that would get aid to the affected areas and will not limit it to sectarian considerations. But before I give my own list, I would say that it is not all inclusive and I would encourage others to give their own recommendations. 1. In my own case I have worked with Child Fund since the early 80s and all my sponsorships have been in the Philippines. Formerly they were known as Christian Children's Fund. The aid will get there. 2. Same with Catholic Relief Services. In the case of Haiti, I phoned in inquiry Monday and I heard how they were active in the field on public radio the next day. 3. Unicef had an e-mail partition the next day. So that's my short list. No doubt someone will find fault with one or all three. What's more, when disaster strikes, the magnitude is overwhelming and you and I have budgets that probably tanked after 2008 or 2009. We're drops in the bucket. Still, I pose this question or challenge. And for many it has probably been taken up already. But all the same, if you think the WTS approach to disaster and those in need if fake or self-serving, then why not get involved with a group that is more likely to get something there? See if it makes you feel any better than wondering if you contribution did anything other than getting this week's WatchTower in the hands of people in the storm's path.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Better still would be for the WT to ask for funds, and then pass all of them to proper Charities who are actually going to use them for the good of the poor suffering people there.

Yes clearly and this is a great point. The fact is that even if the Watchtower society was willing to channel significant funds to the disaster victims ( which they won't), they really don't have a good infrastructure on the ground to coordinate things.

If they gave these funds to the Red Cross of another larger organization, it would be better utilized.

At the end of the day, they will get the local brothers to re-build the halls using free labor, then rebuilt a few homes so that they can boast about it in the yearbook about how they helped the brothers in those hard times.

Interestingly enough, chances are they won't help anybody but brothers, but the the "evil" Red Cross would gladly help JWs if they needed help.

• KateWild
    KateWild

i consider witnesses as my family-emeth

Thats a really loving spirit you show. Nice too see you commenting on this thread. How do you consider us emeth? You converse with many DF'd JWs, I find that very nice that you do. Thank you-Kate xx

I don't think the 8 GB members really care that individuals have lost homes. It would be nice to see, how many JWs are still homeless in Haiti. That would give us a guide to what the future outcome will be in the Philippines

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Has anyone come across those pukeworthy reports the Dubs put out after a tragedy, saying the only remaining bldgs are the KHs, or I'm glad I was at the meeting because my home was destroyed?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that can be certain is that the WTS. will only offer funds to help their own members in their organization alone .

The WTS. with all its millions will not if rarely help a community's infrastructure toward the general popualtion........those dirty worldlies.

Those people outside the organization are going to die soon anyways so why put out the effort to help them.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

After all a disaster is a cause for celebration because it is a sign the GT will start soon and a good opportunity to witness to survivors who are more susceptible to indoctrination after the horror they have experienced! I saw the same thing after the earthquake in Japan in March 2011.

• cantleave
    cantleave

After the Tsumani we were told not contribute to worldly funds but to contribute to the worldwide work. We were told NOT to mark these donations for any particular use and the society would use the funds donated in the most appropriate way.................

The GB needed first class tickets to the next holiday convention destination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit