Atheists know more about the bible!

by Comatose 157 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

the bible is gods word to us.

It is only possibe to believe that by ignoring centuries of criticism that show otherwise.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

" i think your reading beyond what im saying, the bible is gods word to us."

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

you guys are crazy lol everyone has a pic for something

• cofty
    cofty

Unstop - How is it possible for you to be familiar with textual criticism of the bible and go on believing it is a communication from god?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: i have not seen anything to disproves the bible, i have looked at list of "contridictions" and most are easily shown to be nothing and the rest are proven to be wrong with context. i have seen wonderful harmoney throughout the bible. i can turn it around and ask you how you can look at all thecreations and your own life and not see a higher purpose and a creator?

• Comatose
    Comatose

If I ever get the chance to reverse witness to my siblings more, I'll tell them to read the Old Testament.

• adamah
    adamah

USR said- i have not seen anything to disproves the bible, i have looked at list of "contridictions" and most are easily shown to be nothing and the rest are proven to be wrong with context.

You haven't look very hard then, as they exist.

eg off the top of my head, I just posted of how 2nd Peter declared Lot as "righteous", when the Genesis account itself goes out of its way to make the point that Lot was saved from the destruction of Sodom, NOT on account of his righteousness, but due to the righteousness of Abraham; the Genesis account was written to demonstrate the concept of 'transferrable righteousness', which doesn't fit with the Xian concept of each individual being saved on account of their OWN faith (works).

Obviously the author of 2nd Peter couldn't time-travel to rewrite the Torah (!), so he did the next-best thing: he simply granted Lot a post-mortem upgrade to "righteous" status, overlooking the immorality of Lot's actons depicted in Genesis (eg drunken sodomy, offering his daughters to the crowd for rape, etc)!

I've written about it in the following 3-part blog article:

http://awgue.weebly.com/article-pt-1-revisiting-sodom-was-lot-supposed-to-be-viewed-as-a-righteous-man.html

USR, how do YOU personally dismiss the glaring contradiction between Genesis (OT) and 2nd Peter (NT)?

• cofty
    cofty

Unstop - If you think the problems with the bible are limited to seeming contradictions you haven't even begun to examine your beliefs.

Do you still imagine that the synoptic gospels were writen by eyewitnesses of Jesus?

I am more than willing to discuss design in the natural world any time but on a different thread.

• Terry
    Terry

3 words: Familiarity breeds contempt.

Bible is all reputation.

Bible is celebrity awe.

Bible is magic mixed with a crush on God.

. . .until you actually put your butt in a chair and begin reading it.

GAME OVER

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

adam: after work i will look at you peter question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit