Ran into a witnessing table at the park today

by confusedandalone 102 Replies latest jw experiences

• tiki
    tiki

i find the whole thing pathetic. why bother? you are going to sit and shoot the sh!t with your buddies all day long?!?!? if there's no action, there are no results, and it is an exercise in futility.

if i were "in" i'd be down-right embarrassed that they see some reason or justification for this sort of stupidity.

• wasblind
    wasblind

' A conference of religious leaders in spain noted this : " While the churches, on not a few occasions, limit themselves to constructing their temples, ringing thier bells to attract the people and to preaching inside their places of worship, [ the Witnesses ] follow the apostolic tactic of going house to house and taking advantage of every occasion to witness."___Reasoning book page 206

Confusedandalone, how long did you say it took the Witnesses to construct that tent to attract folks to the preachin' work ?

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Im thinking 20 -25 minutes. When you look at the pictures it is amazing to see just how far from everything they actually were.

I think that is really what makes me so upset, THey were obviously avoiding talking to anyone.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

SFTW......here is what you are suggesting went through the persons mind who from a distance sees a tarp and some well dressed people sitting behind signs. Oh and wasn't that sweet of them to not cause a "safety problem" by setting up loser. Was that for real man?

Person at park.

"La di da. Kids in the bouncy house. Check. Blanket set up.....check. Prayers to Satan finished....check."

"Wait, i wonder if I should eb praying to Jesus instead like my church tells me to do. Maybe there is a better way? Hark yonder, there is a table with some sign about God. I can't tell if there are people there. If there are, surely I should go and speak to them about what their preconceived ideas of God are! But....wait.....if I do so.....surely they will want me to change my terrible lifestyle of taking my children out for a community event on Saturdays. Or maybe they will want me to give up my middle class lifestyle! Oh my, I can't have that. No its better I think if I just leave those people who probably have lifes answers alone. Now I'm all flustered. back to my prayer (mutters*....oh Dark Lord, king of brussel sprouts.....)

(sarcasm)

Just a little joke SFTW. However, 16 hours, ZERO people t talk to, and not in a high volume area. This was crossing hours off. Nothing more. We have all seen it. We have all been there. There are zealous JW's who really get into the preaching work, but they are the minority. To defend this particular revelation is a bit disingenuous. Its not like you "admit defeat" by saying hey yeah these guys eally seem to have missed the point that day. Hopefully thats not their normal service routine.

I say the same thing about JW apologists and ex-JW's......the easiest way to dismiss someone as a mental hack is to see wether or not they aregue EVERY point of contention in favor or against a group.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To of been there they would of had to ask permission to be inside the park. Perhaps this wasn't given. A bit like at a dubbie convention. Although a public stadium and an open invitation if an apostate group wanted to set a news stand in the middle of the stadium they would have to get permission from the event organizers. How ever on the grass verge there is no problem.

• jam
    jam

It shows the sincerity of those folks. Confusedandalone ask what are you selling?

That was good,LOL. What would one think, every stand set up that day was

selling something. They weren't aware of what they was selling, Kool Aid.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I think that's what makes me so upset. They were obivously avoiding talking to anyone."____Confusedandalone

You got that right

I'm still on the run in my own home town

I duck and dodge the folks from " bible " studies I used to accompany

shame have ate me alive

If I was to go back to this religion, what would I tell those same folks today

" Forget what I told you before, that wasn't the truth ? "

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

I am not aware of JWS setting up tables in my locality; however, the acceptable form of counting time while never speaking to anyone is riding around and leaving magazines as "reading material" in unmanned and empty laundry mats and hospital waiting rooms. Even if someone is seen sitting there, there is no attempt to engage them in a conversation....just lay the magazines down and skedaddle! Here's another one: A certain pioneer has found a niche witnessing to refugees from Nepal. She caravans up to 15 or 20 Nepalese men, women and children to the KH on Sundays, most of whom neither speak nor understand English. She recruits various members of the congregation to sit next to a Nepalese person and look up scriptures for them, holding the Bible up as if they are following along. Again, most of these folks do not speak, read or understand English, but that seems not to matter to anyone. And some of those who perform this service actually count their time. This is commonly discussed within the congregation.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

What a ridiculous life to have to go through all this BS in order to turn in an "hours" report to a religious publishing corporation.

Amazing more people can't see this friggin' cult for what it truly is.

P.S. What's next.....getting dressed up on Saturday morning and setting one of these Watchtower propaganda tables on your front porch? Talk about easy time.

• jam
    jam

Rufus; That is so funny, did they feed them? These people are NUTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit