Missionaries to vacate all missionary homes

by seenitall 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

yes they do have a serious cash flow problem since they stopped charging for the literature. many jws contribute very little or nothing due to lack of cash.I was told that they are aware of who is contributing and who is not. ( heard this at a SM once or twice. ) So big brother will get you if you don't contribute the suggested amount.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is an interesting rumor to be sure, but I’d definitely like to see independent confirmation of this.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Not surprising, given that they aren't using Gilead to train missionaries anymore. I think many of the countries in which the WTS has missionaries aren't adding to the bottom line and in fact may be losing money. So, why continue to build infrastructure in countries where you have no chance of turning a profit?

I don't see them making any radical doctrinal changes, simplying continuing in the long line of cost saving measures that they've been doing for the past several years. If you can't increase revenues, you need to reduce expenses. They have tons of money but are likely too heavy into big real estate and need to get more liquid which is why they're selling Brooklyn. It costs a lot to keep the buildings maintained and the lights on.

They aren't going out of business anytime soon but I believe they have moved past their peak and will likely slowly shrink over the next decades. However, I'm sure there will be a WTS or JWs around when I die.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This is so confusing. Does this mean that we have to revise the Organization Book, again? Delete the section on Missionaries? Change the Missinary job label as not a Career ?

Are contributions to send the Missionaries home for their conventions gonna be a one way ticket? If so, will we be getting a refund?

• steve2
    steve2

BTTT

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Even selling property is a one shot deal rather than an annual source of cash.”

My gut tells me Watchtower has a chip in the futures of at least some of its Brooklyn properties. I would not surprise me one bit if Watchtower held a financial stake in some of the companies purchasing Watchtower properties. It would also not surprise me if some of the contracts included language about revenue sharing based on future use.

Marvin Shilmer

• prologos
    prologos

just carrying the mortgage for 20 years would double the selling price income.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

It's a matter of time before the WT catches up to Christendom and solicits "pledges" to make up for dwindling funds...

But seriously, I find that most of these so-called "missionaries" are in it for the free room and board as they travel to exotic places on someone else's dime.

• prologos
    prologos

yes, some would like to spend their VACATIONS the way missionary work is done in SOME places.

and the entitlements, green handshakes, acolades when away from your dream destination "assignment"

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

If true, this is big! Many missionaries will leave the countries because of some "sudden legitimate problem" at home. Mark my words. The missionaries I have met in developing countries had the tendency to be either a) cold hearted assholes or b) having severe mental issues. But all had this in common: they liked to live in pampered homes, in all Central American countries they had air conditioning, internet and cable tv, big fridges and some even power generators (the locals have problems with: burglary, unstable electricity and had to go without water for days). I remember working at one of the branches and missionaries bitching about not having enough water pressure in the shower and the warm water wasn't coming out nice. We are talking about countries where people have to live on 1-5 US$/day! Good luck moving in with the locals: http://i.imgur.com/w8kX8vl.jpg Your new "beach front missionary home". Nope. Not gonna happen. A few "hard core" will stay (sacrificing themselves) but they are losing one of the last strong holds in some countries. This, in combination with the closing of branches is like a retreat and giving up. Don't forget that in Latin America there are other very strong evangelical religions that have way more power than the Watchtower. The local witnesses in some of these countries would hang on to the foreigners, the branch, the missionaries for guidance. The branches would help out to get visas for need greaters, etc. With all this gone the locals will have nowhere to go and the Org will, no doubt, shrink in most developing countries. The GB is a despicable bunch of lying bastards! They are abandoning the sheep and leaving them on their own. First they stripped them of all possibilities to acquire real world skills to survive, under the lie that they are not necessary, the MOTHER would take care of them and the next moment they kick everybody to the curb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit