Missionaries to vacate all missionary homes

by seenitall 80 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Would the last missionary out please turn off the lights

• SaritaJ
    SaritaJ

Ditto with what ZuluTime wrote.

In many developing countries, the lifestyle they enjoy is much higher than the locals.So I can't say I am sorry to hear this news as many of them(some are genuine) have inherited the ugly behaviour from 'Mother' Metraton mentioned-cold, ruthless and uncaring treatment.They look down on the poor locals, treating them like children and kiss up to the wealthy ones-even if they are not spiritual by WTS standards.

This is a true story: In an country where an International Convention was being held, the local bethel called all the international guests for a meeting before convention. The speakers were missionaries(they run the bethel). The guests were warned against fratanizing too much with the locals because they would just beg them for money and the local sisters were just after husbands from abroad. All the gifts brought for the local brothers were collected by the bethel, distributed to missionaries and bethelites(whose standard of living is much higher than many brothers) and the rest of the gifts were sent further to another land. At the convention, the guests(except the Americans) were very wary of the locals. They were driven away from the stadium as soon as the Convention program was over. The locals were also seated very far from the delegates. After the 4day program, the guests were taken for safaris to see animals.So they spent very little time with their local brothers..

Many local brothers ended up wondering what had been the point of the INTERNATIONAL convention.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Is there a metric for the impact or return on investment of missionaries? Are they a loss leader checkbox crucial to some kind of legal religious / tax-free status?

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

"Jehovah always provides for his faithful servants. Ever since the Watchtower Missionary House closed down, Jehovah has provided me this van down by the river."

• jam
    jam

Saritaj: "The guest were warned against fraternizing to much

with the locals". LOL

Yes we were told, be careful with your studies because many will

agree to a study with you in order to help them get a visa to

come to the states. Once they come to the states, no more meetings.

But I saw nothing wrong with helping the local brothers in time

of need. I thought that is the reason why we were missionaries.

And for a sister finding a mate from abroad , what the hell is wrong

with that.

• keynumber
    keynumber

when or did they make the announcement in the congregations that missionary homes and GILEAD are being phase out?

this is news to me. please clarify for me. df'd ex-bethelite. seeing the light progressively. KEYNUMBER

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

There may some truth to this. I simply thought it was a coincidence that several Gilead missionary couples I knew all returned to the States within the past 6 months. They all gave legit reasons like sick parents, one of them was sick, needed to spiritually help their own family members or dealing with some issue or another.

About two years ago letters were sent to all non-Gilead missionaries (aka need-greaters that went through the branch) that all branches would no longer sponsor (in name only as you pay all fees unless you attended Gilead) missionary visas. I know about 50 need-greaters that returned back to their home country when their visas expired over the past couple of years.

• metatron
    metatron

I'm scratching my head here because this discussion just brought up another thought:

Is it possible that they don't want any 'loose ends' hanging around, if they are planning big changes in the organization?

Let's say that they are planning a whole bunch of changes that would naturally bring into question the history and legitimacy of the worshipped organization? Radical stuff?

I could well imagine some brother on a committee saying, "OK, we get ready by quietly drawing all the resources together - sell off the Branches, pull the missionaries, sell off Brooklyn, centralize everything and cash out".

I wonder...

metatron

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

There's going to be a lot of disgruntled JW's.............the GB had better watch their backs,someone might just take a pop at them.

They'll be having body guards soon like the pope.

• blondie
    blondie

In the past missionaries were needed because there were not many trained local jws. But such is not the case any more. The WTS has even taken steps to make as many men on the branch committee, local brothers.

I was told that the WTS provided return travel for missionaries after they were in their assignment for 5 years. If these jws were older and had 10 years into a work past (US), they would qualify for social security. I can see many moving home and having jw family and congregations pick up the slack.

What's the point to housing DOs and COs in the missionary homes? Save money on their other homes for them?

I have said for quite some time that the WTS has a serious cash flow problem ever since they stopped charging for the publications and the market dropped. Even selling property is a one shot deal rather than an annual source of cash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit