Do You Regard President Obama In The Same Way As You Did BEFORE The Election?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Obamacare is going to save my life, and for that I will always be thankful to Obama... if it gets repealed in the next year, chances are I won't get to be angry because I'll [barring some miracle] be dead. (My backup plan as of right now is to beg Oprah for money) So there's that. It's a bulky, terrible piece of legislation, but it is the best that he could get passed, and I knew a lot of people who would be alive today if it had been passed 10-20 years ago. The United States healthcare system is broken and it has been for a long time, the real issue with Obamacare is we need an overhaul, not a bandaid.

Obama isn't a terrible president; he's just as bad as all of the other presidents. The indefinite detention bill, for example, is a nightmare, but would've been passed by Bush or pretty much any previous president. The situation with Edward Snowden was badly handled. The Benghazi scandal... appears to be a hoax, actually. A lot of media circus with little to no substance.

The biggest thing I've noticed in the last couple of years is Obama's hands being tied by a Republican-controlled congress. Frankly, I've been shocked and appalled by their willingness to put American lives (both literal and financial) in harms way to obtain their political goals.

So for me it's a mixed bag. I'm impressed by his idealism, but not by some of the specifics of how he handled his job.

• Glander
    Glander

Clarinet- Best wishes to you.

Also, thanks for the anonymous internet drama. Sorry, but it is just droll.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

lol. You're welcome. I'm always up to provide some anonymous internet drama (well... at least when I'm half asleep)

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

I'm not naive enough to have illusions of greatness regarding politicians on either the left or the right. So I'd have to honestly say that I really don't view Obama drastically different since his election.

Obama has shown himself to be a bit more of a centrist than I expected, for example, supporting many Bush-era policies and appointing more Republicans to his Cabinet than any other Democratic president in recent history.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

No surprises here, I said he was too conservative for me, and he has proved to be so. Though I am not naive enough to think we can go from 0 to 60 without passing 30.

Can the haters actually articulate specific failures, or is it just more right wing sheeple talk?

• Glander
    Glander

Our President, who once thought we had 57 states, also refers to the Atlantic coast cities of Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and Jacksonville, FL as Gulf ports. They are nowhere near the Gulf of Mexico. He has repeated this. Slow learner.

As far as his failures, they are public knowledge. Read a news paper once in awhile.

• minimus
    minimus

Obama has helped de-stabalize the world.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Beks

Specific failures:

I think the bank bailout saved wall street fat cats at the expense of the small fry. People lost their houses while the people who gave them bad loans got their money back from the government. The downstream consequences of this are/will be terrible. We've essentially made it public policy to tell the moneychangers not to worry, if they screw it up will make sure they keep the three vacation houses and fancy cars.

The stimulus could have been directed to better uses, specifically fixing our crumbling infrastructure. And it should have continued along that line, we have years of work to do and we'd get something we can point to for our money.

He needs to rein in a number of agencies (IRS, NSA, etc) who are spying on us. I think the drone strikes need to stop.

I don't think his mid-east policy (whatever it is) is working. Personally, I think the best option would be to tell them to go ahead and kill each other, we'll be happy to try the survivors (if any) as war criminals. Who knows, they might decide they need to come up with a plan that works. Right now they know that we'll always come in and stop anything that gets too heavy.

Health care should have been tackled in smaller pieces and with a more tranparent process. He should have jumped on Pelosi for her "we have to pass it so we can find out what's in it"remark. That really fed into the anti-big government anger. I think that lowering the eligibilty age for Medicare would have been a good start. It would have removed a high risk group from the general insurance pool, thereby lowering costs. Assisting low income people to get started with high deductable plans with health savings accounts would also help. Yes, I recognize this would take a direct subsidy from the government.

I think he needs to get serious about cutting the deficiet.

The military's procurement process is awful, and made worse by congressional action designed to send pork home, not defend the country. He needs to step in as Commander in Cheif an fix it, or fix what he can.

This list is in no particular order as I wrote it as I thought of it. Lots of it applies to many past and possibly future Presidents.

As general advice to President's I'd say "STF once in a while." It used to be that a President gave about four speeches a year. That changed around 1900. The advantage in the old days was that when he talked, people paid attention because it was a rare event. Now I think people zone out when the President gives a speech.

• minimus
    minimus

Jeff, that was quite reasonable.

• Glander
    Glander

Remember "Cash for Clunkers" ? FAIL

Right now we are watching the trainwreck of Obamacare unfold daily.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit