Proof of Noah's Flood - Presently watching a Documentary about Europe & the Ice Age

by *lost* 170 Replies latest watchtower bible

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

2+2=5 - that sounds pretty spot on to me.

• hannes
    hannes

Whether there has been a flood or not. None of us was there when it happened or not.

If it happened, we may have comfort that all other thingswould come to pass as well. And even more miraculous things than getting a number of families or couples of marsupialians to some distant part of the earth.

The land Nod in which Kain reportedly had gone, was eretz nod, the same word eretz that means earth as well as land in Hebrew. We do not know: was it the whole inhabited land that was meant to be drowned in that flood or the entire earth. We do not even know, whether Moses knew it. He only edited these earlier documents. (His name does not even appear there once.)

What we read is this: If it was as reported, the whole geography and atmosphere must have been very different than it is today. If there is a river (Tigris, Euphrates) or even a land (Cush, Ashur) of the same name today as before, this does not mean much. There is a York and a Orleans and Vienna in the new world, which formerly was and still is in England, in France, in Austria. The New was added just because the old was still there. (Just for Vienna IL it would have been too ridiculous to call it the new one, since nobody knew it anyway).

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

The flood story makes absolutely no common sense. If there is a god and he wants us to believe and worship him, why tell wee stories that make no sense to the brain he apparently created?

• hannes
    hannes

If there was no flood and there were no God to help, we would probably die, whether we believed in a flood or not. And if there was a flood, it still does not make a difference for us, because - as it is written - there will be no more flood like that one again. And this we may know, by our trust in the scriptures that say so or just by the likelier ones of available scientific evidences.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I may have missed it in the ongoing dialog, but when does the OP and his or her supporters suspect that this global flood took place? Are they supporting the WT/young earth/creationists time frame of around 2370BC(E)?

• hannes
    hannes

A date near 2370 B.C. is historically impossible and not even supported by the probably older textual sources.

• hannes
    hannes

Even the Mayan calendar seems to be more accurate than the Massoretic numbers. (They may have reduced in order to let Abraham stand out, which was unnecessary to do.) The Mayans give a date of 3114 B.C. for the first day after their flood.

Computations in accord with the Greek Septuagint, Jos. Flavius, and Samaritan Pentateuch diverge. There is some text criticism necessary (e.g. regarding the added appearance of a Kainan as in Luke's genealogy, not in the older manuscripts and citations, though).

Besides, most likely there were rounded numbers used (to the ten), which do not allow to compete with the Mayans in exactness (whether their number is correct or not, I can not say).

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@hannes: sorry. 3114 is not any more reasonable than 2370. It is just too early in history to make sense. Suggesting 3114 is like me saying the Magna Carta was signed in 1775 and then my brother responds that this is too late/not possible and then suggest a date of 1740 instead.

• hannes
    hannes

@ Fade to Black - There is some reason to believe for the early history of e.g. the Egyptians and Sumerians to go back to the very roots of civilisation and to claim the oldest share in their kingdom.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@hannes: sorry, I didn't quite get your point. Would you agree with the mainstream/accepted view of history, that Sumerian And Egyptian history as a civilization began around 3000BC? Of course, prior to that people were still living there doing their thing, just not at the same level of organization. Would you agree that at least as early as 7000BC people were living in the area of modern day Turkey and other areas in the Middle-east practicing some form of nomadic farming but still functioning at the level of hunter-gatherers? Please explain your view of history from say perhaps the end of the Ice-age to around 2000BC. Just curious....

I'm not asking for a dissertation just a broad picture from your point of view of how history played out since the Ice-age ended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit