You atheist really annoyed me

by confusedandalone 226 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

I think I will coin a new term for your kind of blatant false statement about different views: coftism. How about that? I expected that a disciple of Dawkins would be intellectually honest and didn't resort to that sort of argument. But hey. I'm just an ignorant theist, right?

Eden

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Atheists and Agnostics can provide a healthy balance of views and challenges that keep Theists in proper check.

• cofty
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is a quote from Atheist Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) to illustrate

“I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward—and atheists who think people shouldn’t proselytize and who say just leave me alone and keep your religion to yourself—how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?

“I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.”

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2013/07/21/an-atheist-chastises-evangelicals-who-dont-evangelize/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+between2worlds+%28Between+Two+Worlds%29

I would agree with Jillete if we replace hate with apathy.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

It became more apparent to me over time that the only reason the bible is so popular is because Chrisitianity was forced on people and the guide book of that religion proliferated. I can't see any reason that the Bible has more truth than any other religious book out there. It would also seem that god is not partial because he loved the people of one small region more than others.

The very fact that he used the Jews as his name people shows that he is indeed partial. Which goes against what I would see as being the greatest aspect of a god... his impartiallity.

I at the moment feel that there is a god, he revealed basic truth to everyone in forms that those peopel could relate to and with. There are just too many people on this planet for God to have picked just one group and then pretty much said screw everyone else until I decide to reveal my son in a few thousand years to them.

However if God really did just chose Israel and everyone prior to Jesus that was not part of this group only had to be nice to gain salvation of some sort then I am pissy that I was born in this modern era

• talesin
    talesin

Van

I like the Lutheran's miinistry - it is that of good deeds in the community, to demonstrate their Xtianity.

Confused, I have been an atheist for decades. I try to act with common decency and respect towards Xtians, or others of 'faith', realizing that if I wish to educate, it's best not to put people on the defensive by attacking their intelligence.

My personal investigations and studies over the past 30 years or so have only strengthened my non-belief in any deity, but I feel no need to ram my certainty down anyone else's throat. Those who are newly-exiting the JWS are full of questions, and have been spiritually abused *already* by the cult. Sorry that you experienced the rudeness that I saw become typical of some posters here on JWN in the past year or so. We are not all as pushy and downright dismissive of 'believers' and their viewpoints.

Keep on questioning, keep an open mind. Discuss with those who wish to truly discuss, and perhaps gently point you towards reading that will be enlightening. Ignore the bulls in the china shop.

xo

tal

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Since you took upon yourself to be the public prossecutor of the website that I run (and btw, thank you for the free publicity ), let me assist you, your excellency, in clarifying the meager 0,1% in which I disagree with the WTS.

• I don't believe in 1914, and consequently i don't believe we've been living the "last days" since then until now
    • I don't believe the Kingdom of God is merely a government type of administration; I believe it's a reality far more complex than that.
    • I believe in a universal heavenly reward for all the believers
    • I believe that a cleansed planet earth will be inhabited permanently by a righteous human society; This, however, doesn't mean that individual people will live forever on earth.
    • I don't believe that any Christian religion can be singled out as having the sole "truth" about God and Christ
    • As a consequence, I don't believe that the JW's, in particular their leadership, are "God's sole mouthpiece" on earth;
    • I believe that Christianity is the true religion, rather than a specific flavor of Christianity.
    • I don't believe that baptism should be considered as means to ordain a member of a specific denomination
    • I don't believe that Daniel 2:44 refers to the Kingdom of God
    • I believe most of Daniel's prophecies were fulfilled in the past, including those involving the "king of the north x king of the south".
    • i don't believe that the "Faithful and discrete slave" is a group of religious leaders in charge of dispensing spiritual food nowadays.
    • I believe that the Bible isn't incompatible with evolutionism.

And these are just a few things that I wrote about and published as of yet.

By all means, let the readers be the judge.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

OK then maybe 5% at best.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Atheists and Agnostics can provide a healthy balance of views and challenges that keep Theists in proper check.

Good point, Vanderhoven7.

If it weren't for agnosticism and atheism - and by this I mean the moderate approach, not the gutsy radical one - christian religion would be an uncontrollable tyranny this day and age.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit