You atheist really annoyed me

by confusedandalone 226 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree with cofty. I've grown a lot over the years from conversations with people who challenge what I believe or what I am doing. It's not comfortable, and sometimes my feelings are hurt, but in the long run I grow from these challenges. I've done writing for pay, too, and non-fiction writers are regularly challenged by editors. We have to justify what we say with evidence, we can't just say things we were taught or heard and think might be true. Nothing wrong with being challenged to defend your beliefs, although I don't challenge people unless they shove their beliefs in my face.

Cofty isn't mean or nasty. He's just completely frank and honest. It's hard to take if you're used to mealy-mouthed people. I like the brutally honest, in fact, as long as they don't think being honest means being vicious.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The idea that people should not be left alone in their belief is the basis of evangelicalism. Its part of the reason that the british came over to north america, to save the savages from their pagan beliefs w christianity. Now, of course, people need to be saved from christianity w atheism. Ironic, kind of, don't you think?

Yes, very ironic.

• cofty
    cofty
    Now, of course, people need to be saved from christianity w atheism. Ironic, kind of, don't you think?

Atheism isn't a "thing" that can be evangelised. It is simply a lack of belief in god. Nobody is converted "to" atheism.

As JWs we were able to hold on to our delusions by avoiding evidence to the contrary. When we leave the borg some people naturally assume their fundamental beliefs in god must be true and get stuck at theism without really examining those basic assumptions.

Challenging theists to think more thoroughly about the foundation of their beliefs is no different from asking a JW why they believe in an imminent paradise earth or why they have faith in the governing body.

Questioning somebodies cherished beliefs is likely to cause offense. Don't do it if being popular is important to you.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The lab is the holy place.

Satanus, I hope people are paying attention to your comments.

• cofty
    cofty

Why are so many people confusing atheism and science?

There is some very muddled thinking going on here.

Some theists are also great scientists. Some atheists are superstitous followers of every sort of woo.

Atheism is a logical corollary of rational thinking but humans are only partially rational.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Atheism isn't a "thing" that can be evangelised. It is simply a lack of belief in god. Nobody is converted "to" atheism.

That's just not right. Atheism often stands for more than simply a lack of belief in any God, it also often involves a rejection of the specific God that is dominant within the person's culture. And some atheists certainly do like to promote their views and attempt to win others round to their point of view.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You atheist really annoyed me.

Is it the rational intellectual honesty that bothers you the most ?

Seriously though Christianity contains some beneficial value as well inspiration which has proven to be beneficial for

mankind.

• cofty
    cofty

Obviously a lack of belief in god would, by definition, include "a rejection of the specific God that is dominant within the person's culture". This is a truism.

Yes some atheists think it a worthwhile venture to challenge superstious beliefs.

If a person is convinced by rational arguments they are not converted "to" atheism, they simply lose their attachment to superstition - well to one specific superstition anyway.

Christianity contains some beneficial value as well inspiration which has proven to be beneficial for mankind - Fink

Really?

For example...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As Sartre put it:

"God doesn't exist, the bastard."

Which succinctly captures the irony at the heart of much atheistic ways of thinking. It is much more than simply an absence of belief.

• cofty
    cofty

A disgust with the implications of theism is not incompatible with atheism. There is no irony.

Somebody who is angry with god is a muddle-headed buffoon not an atheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit