Do you remember your Baptism Talk?

by bildad 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was 9. No, I don't remember.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I can't remember anything from it really besides the fact I felt super proud when we were asked to stand and publicly sign our life over to the organization. I do remember feeling out of place as I wore a gray striped shirt for my dunking where the rest of the inductees seemed to have on white shirts.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

I was nine too!! It was july 4th 92. Dont remember the talk nor who gave it...just remember thinking "now my parents will be proud of me!"

• bildad
    bildad

Of all the "Privileges" I enjoyed, the Baptism was up there. Enjoyed getting to meet the candidates beforehand and talking with them.

Like Blondie, I did not dedicate myself to the Organization as that was not one of the two questions they asked.

Of course I have different feelings today. Especially when you think it through. It is true JW's don't practice infant baptism, they certainly practice child baptism. So you make a decision at 9 yrs of age and you are held accountable forever. You can't just say "I was a kid, I didn't know what I was getting into!" Nope, you are DF the same as an adult who made that decision. A very serious flaw.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I don't remember the talk at all.

It was May 1963, I was 13 years old. There were 6 of us girls from just our KHall alone.

I got in a car with a friend I grew up with from the neighboring congo . He left decades ago.

The plaster had come off in spots in the pool but it was still, a pretty neat indoor pool with huge windows looking out at the ocean.

It was at the Hermosa Beach Hilton that got torn down at the end of the 1960's.

Just Lois

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

No I don't remember the talk or the date. I do remember being really self conscious about being in a swim suit in front of so many people, especially the single male population. I was 16 and so skinny and no boobs. How would I ever land a spiritual husband? :)

• Dagney
    Dagney

Don't remember it, but Ted Jaracz gave it. He was our CO or DO, forget which. His wife came on my studies a few times. My mom had me study separately with another sister from the hall when the "Truth" book came out. And this sister was famous for getting people baptized at every assembly or she dropped them. There was a lot of pressure and I caved. I was 12.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember getting a camera as a present from my mum. An Olympus OM10 with standard lens, an 80 - 200ml zoom and tripod.

• tinker
    tinker

not a word but I could discribe the swimsuit and outfit for the day including shoes and notebook. I was 15, Orange County Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa, CA. Years later I was married and came accross a picture of my baptism and What Do Ya Know!!! my husband had been baptized the same day. We would not meet until many years later. It was held in a large private home pool and we were dipped in the same water. We used to feel it was pretty special. These days we think it is pretty Creepy!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Tinker, That is really unique!

I remember my bathing suit too. A 2 piece mostly orange with yellow.

I went swimming in it later that summer, did a back flip and my top snapped and came off.

I about died.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit