Do you remember your Baptism Talk?

by bildad 45 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Amazing that such an "important" event and I do not recall the talk or the speaker. Maybe it wasn't that important after all.

• BLWashington
    BLWashington

Oh man! This took me back!!

Yes! I remember him- and that his son almost drowned in that pool right next to me. There were a group of about 13-15 of us, and we all got baptized together. We Made sure we were in line to get dunked together.. I just keep remembering him say "Today, July 9th 1988, is the most important day of your life" and I was thinking... I'm 10 years old...I"M SURE, I will have more important days than this LOL... Funny, NONE of us are still associated with the JW...as a matter of fact his son who almost drowned next to me (because he slipped out from the guy's grasp and was panicking), is now Kanye West's road manager LOL Go figure... Now that I think of it... out of the six congregations that attended our KH... and the kids 5 years older than me and 3 years younger... none of us go to the KH anymore except for like 4 of us...and they only go to keep in touch with their families. I remember I got a watch for a gift and a fresh pair of Stacy Adams dress shoes. Wow... memories - and the smell of horse manure.

• Narcissistic Supply
  • bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Revising the baptismal questions so many times made talking about the very subject superfluous.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

No, I don't remember much from back then. I was probably around 19 or 20 years old... it was at a Circuit Assembly... in the early Spring, I believe, because it was cooler temperatures.

The assembly was in Kerrville, TX. The baptism was held in a private home in a heated pool of some sort. The changing arrangements... I don't remember.

I don't remember the talk, nor the day. I know we were told that we should remember it, but I don't. I wrote it down someplace, in a book or something, but since I don't have those anymore... oh, well.

Flash forward about 20 years. I am married to a JW, I am inactive, my daughter gets old enough to get baptized. She, of course wants me to see her get baptized (so does the wife). Well, I ask when it will be. It is at a local site, that I knew well, as I had learned all of the side and back doors to the place when I was still a JW.

They tell me the time that the talk starts, and I add a few minutes to that to allow for the droning of the talk... and decide what time to be there.

It was in downtown San Antonio, so I find a place to park, and walk on over to the Colliseum. Lots of people there, a few are milling around outside. I check a few of the exits, and then go in the front, up the long series of steps. I was a bit nervous. I didn't know what I would do if I spotted someone that I knew.

Thank goodness it was dark inside, as I walked in. The fella was still droning on, and finally the group of baptizees stood up. They did their vows, and then started filing out to go downstairs to the pool.

I slipped out and went down to watch. I got to see not only my daughter, but one of her cousins get baptized. I then quietly left - as quietly as I came in.

Much later, we were visiting my mom's house. My mom was one of those 'holier than thou' type of people - or at least at this visit, she was.

She made the mistake of snapping at me, "You didn't even see your daughter get baptized!" with a smug look on her face.

"Yes I did. I was downstairs and saw her get baptized. I didn't see you there."

She almost choked on her spit.

Regards,

Jim TX - of the I'll never do that again class...

• BLWashington
    BLWashington

@ Jim_TX... don't you just love when JWs try to throw some ol righteous judgement at you?

It's funny becuase my mother condemned me to the throes of being on drugs (I don't think weed counts) and never ever having ANYTHING and that I will never be happy because I have 'left Jehovah'... let's just say... WRONG... lol

Man, circuit assembly... haven't been to one in 15years and for 8 years I lived 2 miles from the one in Illinois... go figure...

Nevergoingback class- I like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit