Do you remember your Baptism Talk?

by bildad 45 Replies latest jw friends

• bildad
    bildad

Do you remember anything from your Baptism Talk or the Brother who gave it?

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Haha! Nope! Other than the "admonition" to remember the date as it was supposed to be the most important calendar date of your life.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yup.and I have forgotten that date too ! mind you, it was over 50 years ago, when it resembled a Christian baptism, the vows contained no reference to an Organization whatsoever.

If I were still a believer, I would still view it as valid, no one Baptised in the last 20 or 30 years had a Christian baptism, it was simply an induction in to an organization.

Best forget it completely.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Good question. No, no I don't. Never thought about it either. Just another boring talk I guess. I remember being pleased that my inlaws would get off of my back about not being baptized ... after all I was the ripe ol' age of 20! That didn't last... there was always something for them to dig at me about. But the talk... not a word in my memory, haha.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I remember the brother who gave it. He was the dad of a friend, and he also did my wedding.

I remember nothing of the talk as I was so emotional. I don't remember saying yes to those questions. I hardly could, because I was crying so much from the joy and momentousness of it.

@ss.

• nugget
    nugget

All I remember was that it was the worst one I had heard with no highlights.

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

Nope! I do remember sisters in the congregation writing detailed notes of the talk and giving them to me afterwards like a gift. I never looked at them and remember thinking that they're the same every convention/assembly anyway.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Ha ha that's true. I still have my box of photos and cards from my baptism. Not sure whether to burn them in a moment of catharsis or just chuck em out.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

No... My mind would always drift off at meetings & assemblies - even when I was pioneering. Totally booorrriinnnggg...

• stillin
    stillin

Not at all. But I do remember how my life was a chaotic mess and that joining this religion would fix things; keep me out of the back seat of squad cars and other things which I was getting tired of. It worked. But there was a downside, too...

oh, and I do NOT remember the date. WTH is that supposed to be? I remember the year, though. 1975. Adam was 6000 years old and there was going to be a party of some sort.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit