Do you remember your Baptism Talk?

by bildad 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Laika
    Laika

Yep, talk by a DO named Dave Algar who I imagine is quite well known by the Brits. Great speaker.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

Yep! Given by Ray Knowles (CO), then went on to extort millions from Elderly JW's and is now in Prison.

• free and happy
    free and happy

I cant remember the talk or the brother but I was 16 when I got baptized which would make it 1986 and at City Hall Hartlepool.

My now father in law was one of the baptizers but he did't baptize me!

Looking back I got baptized because loads of my friends were doing it , not the best of reasons, my nan( who was not a witness) tried to talk me out of it much to my mums disgust so I just told my nan it was my decision and I was happy to keep the peace really between them.

On another thought, hubby I think got baptized at Scarborough and I remember I wasn't allowed to watch as his Mum wasn't happy that he liked me!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I had been listening to the talk for 19 years by the time I finally got baptized, so I don't remember mine specifically.

• blondie
    blondie

No, one of those mass ones in 1969. What bothered me most is I never noticed the change in the 2 questions in 1985 until I started looking around the internet....

• toweragent
    toweragent

Yes. Mostly just because it was so wierd and corny. The brother used a tropical island vacation illustration that made no sense and it was a stretch to fit it in with the theology of the Watchtower Society. Even when I was "all in", that talk made little sense to me. It was embarrasing and I remember sitting their wishing a better speaker had given the part.

We did sing song 55 in the brown song book entitled "Daily Walking With Jehovah." I liked, and still do like, singing that song. Made me tear up towards the end of it. I'm a sucker for a good string orchestration.

Hard to beleive how much I've realized, learned, and wakened up to since then, in just 5 years.

• out4good3
    out4good3

NO, but I think my wife has it and me being baptised on VHS videotape somewhere at home though. She guards it like a gold brick, I think, in the hopes that one day, I'll come back.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I remember the speaker, a brother in my home congregation, giving the talk at the Circuit Assembly. Afterward, in the cafeteria, he shook my hand and said "welcome to Jehovah's organization". I recall the emotion I felt when he said those words - I was taken back by hearing that term (that was prior to the change in wording), and I thought to myself that maybe getting baptized wasn't such a great idea.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Oh, yes. It was early 1973...in the winter, in Jacksonville, Florida. The speaker was Charles Sunutko, a man almost idolized by the organization. I remember him cautioning us that in the universe, we were infintesimally small, and should keep this view of ourselves. I was sooooo impressed.

We then were loaded into vehicles to go to another location. For some reason they didn't have any baptismal pools set up at this District facility. My husband and I rode in a station wagon in the rear seats that faced out the back window. No one in the car spoke as we were riding along. I didn't know anyone but still remember thinking it was not very friendly.

We were among the "six month wonders" or those that finished the "Truth Book" quickly as of course Armageddon was fast approaching. There was another young couple (I was 21 and hubbie 23) waiting along with us for a ride and I remember talking with them about this and being so impressed because they had studied only four or five months and were getting baptised. I wonder what has become of them after all these years.

When we got to the old Kingdom Hall we saw that the baptismal pool was under the stage floor. Clever, really.

Oh, if I knew then what I know now.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Bayfront St. Pete FL 1970. All I remember is the water was so hot it turn my skin red. When I went back into the dressing room a newly baptised person said "Were they trying to baptise us or cook us". We all laugh at that one. It was really hot even though the temp. outside was in the 90's F. Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit