Do you remember your Baptism Talk?

by bildad 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Georgia, 1986. I remember the brother giving the talk, his name was Jan something. A few months later i saw him in a McDonalds early one morning and said hello, it's nice to see you, you gave my baptism talk - and he looked at me and walked out the door with his coffee and didn't say a word.

Thirty years later i have a grandchild who is being pressured to get baptized by my ex-son in law. Needless to say, the other side of the story is here at our house. I have said, Don't worry if you have to give in and get baptized - it doesn't mean a damn thing. Just do what you have to do to survive and grow up and get out on your own.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I should have said, it's now thirty years since i started studying.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I don't remember because it was 1986 and there were over 400 of us at the time. I think it was so overwhelming at the time because it was so huge and I had a hard time paying attention. The speaker was not someone from our circuit so I have no idea who gave it. I do remember seeing my husband right before I went in.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I remember the brother who gave my baptism talk but I won't say his name.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Son of a gun. All I remember is that it was July 2nd, 1988. Man oh man, I missed my 25 year anniversary this month.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I was asleep. That is why the put you in water, to wake you up.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Hey Cantleave the Wt. sent a letter to all the congregation and ruled that giving a gift to one who was just baptised was wrong. They take the fun out of everything. But it is alright if you give a money gift to the Wt. on the day you are baptised. LOL Totally ADD

I never got baptized. Being a JW was not a choice for me. I was born in to this cult to parents who got to enjoy normal childhoods before imposing this freak lifestyle on their kids. I never had any interest in getting baptized or staying in this cult because I hated every minute I spent in it.

With all due respect, I can't imagine what, if anything, any of you were thinking as you voluntarily dedicated your lives to this cult. There are no drugs on this planet that are strong enough to sufficiently numb my brain to enable the making of such a bad decision.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I don't remember the talk or the speaker. All I remember is some twit walking the line looking for stories they could use. When he quickly discerned that our story was not sensational enough, he moved along. I would like to kick myself in the ass for being such an idiot.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Yup, the famous or infamous John May, for more information on John, search his name on this forum, hint Ray Franz .....LOL

FYI John was a real brother, and not a bully, like some ex-elders, "you can take the man out of the org. but NOT.." ....you know what I mean :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit