Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I commented on Ralph Diorio when you posted it the first time.

Here's one example of "miracles" that people swear by, most notably Catholics, regarding the alleged healing properties of the water at Lourdes, France:

http://www.miraclehunter.com/marian_apparitions/approved_apparitions/lourdes/miracles1.html

In 1859, Professor Vergez of the Faculty of Medicine at Montpellier was appointed to examine the cures. Seven cures were recorded before 1862 promoting the argument for the recognition of the Apparitions by Bishop Laurence.

Almost 7,000 cureshave been documented at the waters of Lourdes. The Church has vigorously investigated and validated a mere 67 of them.

Lourdes has 6 to 9 million pilgrims per year

---

Since the mid to late 19th century there have been tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of visits by the religious to Lourdes, France. Out of that spectacularly large number, the Catholic Church has certified a mere 67 as being legitimate "miracles" (in its opinion).

Think about this: For argument's sake let's say the waters do indeed have miraculous healing powers bestowed on them by Jesus Christ or a saint (as is the claim). Are a miniscule 67 "healings" out of tens of millions of attempts really impressive at all? At best, it's a dismal failure. Doctors have enormously better success percentages than that.

Put in monetary terms, if you invested $100 million into something and your return was only $67, would you be impressed?

Even IF we could attribute, with incontrovertible evidence, those 67 healings to a god, why has he ignored millions and millions of people who went to Lourdes for healing, who were equally, if not more, faithful and devoted as the 67? And, you can be sure, those people are wholly devoted to praying to the god that did nothing for them.

At best, it betrays god as fickle, arbitrary, unjust and unreliable.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Somebody once said to me: 'I know god exists and answers my prayers.'

Interesting statement. What if I know god doesn't exist and therefore won't answer my prayers. Or someone says I know god may or may not exist...etc....... Which of us is right?

It seems god is quite able to give people what they attribute to him giving as you say by wishful thinking.

It makes no difference if a person prays or not the results are the same by what I've observed.

• tec
    tec

No one can know God doesn't exist. (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)

One can believe God doesn't exist. Anyone can know that He may or may not exist. Those are the two options ; )

One can believe God does exist.

One CAN know God does exist, depending upon the evidence that they have.

It makes no difference if a person prays or not the results are the same by what I've observed.

But what you are able to observe is limited to you. And just because someone has not (yet) seen something, does not mean that it has not happened.

Peace,

tammy

• rocketman
    rocketman

The problem of God answering prayers is, as already pointed out, that it then boils down to whose, which, and how often. And therein lies the problem.

Don'tCallMeShirley's illustration of the plane crash bears this out. If God answered the one, then it immediately becomes troubling and problematic that he did not answer the other 249, or at least some of them.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I needed postage stamps. prayed and prayed for them.

My wife wanted me to mail some memorial invitations to not at homes. When I got to the post office, I didn't put the stamps she gave me on the letters, but kept them and took off as many stamps as I could without messing them up and recycled the letters.

Jehovah provided me with stamps that I needed for something useful.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As I could use a little help I have prayed for £24k and the god that provides it tax free in a lump sum is the god I'll worship and preach.

Surely that's fair? Money is nothing to god and a useful tool to me. It's not as if I'm an amputee asking for healing......

I have asked for this ''sign'' by the end of the month.

I'll let you know how I do!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Still no £24K yet but I've got until the end of the month midnight so I'll see what transpires in the 1st of August.

In line with this prayer my confirmation bias could have been influenced or not by 2 ''signs'' I received at the weekend.

1. I met a chap that has been to the Kingdumb Hell a few times but goes to a Baptist Church. He told me I need to get faith back into my life as this would be beneficial.

2. The next day I met an old friend that I hadn't seen in years that used to be a JW elder. He told me he is now an atheist.

There are a few ways I could interpret this depending on my confirmation bias.

a. Jesus was reaching out in meeting #1. and Satan was trying to counteract what my first friend told me by planting meeting #2.

b. I can listen to one friend as a sign andnot the other.

c. Accept that these were just random meetings and could happen to anyone and there is nothing to read into them. Coincidence.

d. insert explanation....................

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

punkofnice >>> God will provide money if it is HIS will to do just so. (1. John 5:14)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

bats - Kind of contradicts also a similar scricha:"And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." (John 14:13-14)

....and.......I still haven't received an inkling of which god is the real one out of them all if it isn't Jesus or Yaveh.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Any joy with that cash yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit