Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Cofty: Have you noticed the world with Tammy's sort of god looks precisely like a world world with no God.

I was thinking something similar. When I finally woke up to TTAT, it just hit me that all the teaching of the Watchtower were just....nothing. There was absolutely no proof of any of it. All the date predictions, the signs we were in the last days, it was just propaganda. It made me realize how easy it was to convince millions of people of an alternate reality. For them, Armageddon is imminent, you could never convince them otherwise.

For those who believe God is answering their prayers, reality is meaningless, they have created their own reality.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Joined 3/28/2013

A year or 2 ago i needed work really bad and realized by another person's experience about prayer that i was not being specific enough in previous prayers about anything. So this time being desperate for work I prayed that Jah would help me and i told him what i needed and i needed it fast. Sure enough a day or two later i went to an old account where i had worked years before and got the account right away. Wasn't the greatest account stopped going a few months ago but it did exactly what i needed and was a prayer answered by the big guy.

• talesin
    talesin

Well, I have a little story, Unky Punky, about prayers being answered ...

As you know, I've been going through some travails with the doctors (don't want to say too much, as it may end up in court).

So, after 2 1/2 years of having a medical mistake covered up, on Friday, I finally got in touch with an MD I knew many years ago, and he is going to help me.

I told my good friend this, and he said "Isn't that great! See? I prayed for you this very morning, and look what happened!"

I musta had the stoopidest look on my face .. my reply: "Umm, haven't you been praying for me for the past 2 1/2 years? So, after all my hard work, and efforts to get everyone under the sun to help me, you are giving GOD the credit?"

Stumped this chump, fer sure.

*rolls eyes* Yeah, God sure took it's time getting around to it, now that I'm crippled for life.

t

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Tal - I hope you get sorted soon my friend.

I was thinking that if Jehovah(TM) who only exists as a trademark can answer prayers (supposedly according to the annecdotes of others), then how can his rival false gods do the same?

Do I smell delusion here?

I was really impressed by the Jug of Milk analogy that God can't lose because his answer is either YES, NO or WAIT.....one of these eventualities will happen when we pray for something.

The story of the bloke whos leg grew back (that ADCMS showed from Wiki) was a story that was making xtians go 'OoooOOOooOOOooh. AaaaAAaaAAaaahhh!' like Toy Story LGMs when I was at church. It was a red flag to me. No evidence.....just the NEED to believe.

I'm sure that those posters that believe in prayer are sincere as indeed I used to be.

I would love to think that some benevolent being is looking after us....but I see NO evidence. It's just comforting to believe it.

Sadly, prayer can take responsibility away from us from getting off our bums and actually doing something to make a difference.

• new22day
    new22day

I'm a non-religious person and for some reason I pray all the time. To whom or what I pray I can't say but I've had many prayers answered, albeit small, even petty ones, in the grander scheme of world problems. I lost my sight once (my eyeglases actually- lol) on a walk along the beach when the tide was out. I had been climbing over craggy rocks and trees and when I returned home realized they had slipped out of my shirt where they hung as I was wearing sunglasses instead while walking. This was a huge problem. I had a 12 hour drive home the next day and no glasses. Can't wear sunglasses and drive in the dark.

I retraced my steps but the tide was coming in fast. I waded through the water to the rocks I climbed as it seemed like a good spot to loose them. I saw nothing. I sat down in frustration and began to accept they were gone and I had a problem. Then I just closed my eyes and said in my mind, "God, c'mon please help me". When I looked up I spotted them immediately, on the bottom of the ocean floor. The light hit them just perfectly at that moment so they glistened in the sun and I could see them two feet under water sitting among the rocks. So see, my prayers restored my sight. ;)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

About 4 years ago I was listening to an experience a Pioneer was giving at a Circuit Assembly.

He said when he decided to Pioneer he prayed to god about it. He was a mortgage banker and apparently had a lot of responsibility with his job, so it seemed daunting to come up with a plan to Pioneer. He figured it would take him seven years to rearrange his life/career to make it happen.

So, he started a systematic liquidation of his assets and reconstructing of his life. He sold his very nice luxury home to buy a modest, very small house. Sold his new cars and bought old cars. Liquidated most of his belongings because now he was in a too-small house, etc. etc. Finally, he quit his well-paying job as a banker and took on menial, low-paying work (probably a janitor).

Meanwhile, he's praying to god the whole time to bless him. Finally he accomplished his goal: it took him seven years- but he was now a Pioneer. By his own admission, life was now a struggle: small house, low income, has to watch his budget, blah, blah, blah.

At that time I was still fully "in" the Org., but I thought to myself, "Really? You did all the work, you made all the sacrifices, you changed your life completely- but god gets the credit? Additionally, it take the self-proclaimed most powerful god in the entire universe 7 years to get you to your goal? Seems to me if he needs Pioneers so badly it was a waste of 7 years getting to that point." And, "blessing" always means lowering your standard of living, doing without, and struggling unnecessarily. Nice.

This JW fails to realize that if HE didn't do all the work by himself and make all the sacrifices himself, he'd still be a mortgage banker.

New22Day- I hope you're joking.

It would be an absurdity to think that god would answer your prayer instantaneously to find your glasses- when probably in the same moment someone somewhere just died of cancer- after begging god for a cure; or a child died of starvation; a child was raped; a billion people went to bed hungry, etc.

If that's god's priorites his moral compass needs readjusting.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

new22 - Hence the bible saying we are a spectacle? 1 Cor 3:9 (compare Col 2:15).

I pray for money which is just a tool so that I can do good with it. I guess god is giving the cash to some ungrateful crim.

• Comatose
    Comatose

ADCMS - I have a suspicion that the guy changed jobs for other reasons. Then started losing belongings because he was poor. Then turned it into a pioneer story, i have seen it before.

• James Brown
    James Brown

In general people that believe in God and pray live 8 years longer than those who don't.

That is an obvious answer to prayer a longer and better life.

The information can be found in the textbook college Psychology 101 by David G Myers

8th edition 2007 page 573.

Scientific answers are not as interesting or glamorous as personal stories,

But in general believers live longer better lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit