Prayers that God answers. Any examples?

by punkofnice 259 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Brown
    James Brown
    I don't see how atheist can be optomistic about the long term future.

Just because one can't see it from their standpoint doesn't mean it isn't true.

Well the scientific evidence that I am quoting from a college Psychology 101 text book is not talking about

the benefits of being an atheist and life extensions it is talking about the benefits of religion and belief in God.

If these benefits are not real and science adjust, then in time the text book should be altered but that is what

my 2008 version says.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JB -

The scientific evidence for longer life of believers has to do with imporved imune system and living a biblical life

Have these studies included Muslims, Murdering Muslim Fundies, Murdering Christian Fundies, Taoists, Mormons and non biblical religions do you know?

• James Brown
    James Brown

JB -

The scientific evidence for longer life of believers has to do with imporved imune system and living a biblical life

Have these studies included Muslims, Murdering Muslim Fundies, Murdering Christian Fundies, Taoists, Mormons and non biblical religions do you know?

Yes I am pretty sure I know. I posted all the refrences and data. It is based on US national health survey.

I don't think we have that many Muslims in the US yet. Regardless I dont think the survey is considering your

points or if it is there are not that many Muslims killing muslims in the US or not enough to diminish

the positive effects of religion.

I posted the references where you can find them.

Any way this is basic scientific data that all scientist in America have to consider before they go on,

They have to study this in their first 2 years of college to get a bachelors degree.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JB -

I don't think we have that many Muslims in the US yet.

Plenty over here in the UK. They seem to be a fairly closed community and like all people, there's good and bad within.

In some areas you can hear them singing their prayers.

I wonder if spinning a prayer wheel has any effect.

• tec
    tec

tec argued using the same" logic": all prayers are answered... a person just may not ever see a tangible result.

No, I didn't.

Peace,

tammy

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

JB:

I am quoting mainstream introductory science that every student has to consider.

I'm quoting Psychology Today.

JB:

The information I posted is reflecting United States data.

The information I posted included United States data in addition to worldwide data. Therefore, the information I presented is more encompassing which provides a more accurate context.

JB:

And there are a lot of things that are involved in being religious, not just prayer.

The information I posted clearly detailed this very point. And, if other factors are involved, your assertion that prayer is the only corollary relating to longevity also falls by the wayside. You nullified your own position.

JB:

My information is not from a religious source it is from a college Psychology today 101 text book.

My information is not from a religious source either. It's from Psychology Today, as I've already pointed out.

JB:

I don't see how atheist can be optomistic about the long term future.

As punkofnice said, just because YOU don't see it does not mean it's untrue. I've found that atheists are very positive about a great many things. Rather than being focused on the demise of this world at Armageddon and agonizing over petty differences in religious beliefs like religious people do within their own denominations and outside of them, atheists are free to focus on what makes for a happy, productive life. Atheist's lives are grounded in reality, not the mystical and unprovable. Many religious people are so focused on the next life they fail to completely optimize this one.

As I've posted here a number of times, the most secular nations (non-religious/athist) also consistently rank at the top of the list in matters of high standards of living and happiness in life.

I'm under the impression JB, that you didn't even bother reading the article I posted a link to. The fact that your rebuttal completely ignored the points in that article which contradict your claims says you don't care about viewpoints and scientific information that undermine your pre-conceived notions.

• James Brown
    James Brown

How can you say that. I am reading and posting from the most basic scientific resources.

College textbooks which have to be consumed by all scientist to move on.

If Psychology today is relevant then in time it will be in the current Psychology text book.

Psychology today is pop psychology this is 2013 maybe it is in the new textbook I am quoting 2008.

Pop psychology is like quoting the Awake magazine.

I don't even know if I have preconceived notions I am reading my College textbooks and posting relevant refefrencable

accepted mainstream data.

If they would have supported your view, I would have posted them.

I am not looking for a view I am reading college text books to get a degree.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

If you have issues with the source material "Psychology Today" quoted, take it up with them. If you think the information is incorrect, write a paper, have it reviewed by scientists/psychologists/medical professionals, then post the results here when you get them. I'll be waiting to see the results.

Here's the source material:

Sources

1. Barber, N. (2012). Why atheism will replace religion: The triumph of earthly pleasures over pie in the sky. E-book, available at: http://www.amazon.com/Atheism-Will-Replace-Religion-ebook/dp/B008...

2. Koenig, H. G. (2008). Medicine, religion and health: Where science and spirituality meet. West Conshohocken, PA: Templeton Foundation Press.

3. Sloan, R. P., and Bagiella, E. (2002). Claims about religious involvement and health outcomes. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 24, 14-21.

4. Paul-Labrador, M. D. et al. (2006). Effects of a randomized controlled trial of transcendental meditation on components of the metabolic syndrome in subjects with coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 166: 1218-1224.

5. Snoep, L. (2008). Religiousness and happiness in three nations. Journal of Happiness Studies, 9, 207-211.

6. Zuckerman, P. (2008). Society without God: What the least religious nations can tell us about contentment. New York: New York University Press.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I don't even know if I have preconceived notions I am reading my College textbooks and posting relevant refefrencable

accepted mainstream data.

If they would have supported your view, I would have posted them.

I am not looking for a view I am reading college text books to get a degree.

I'll stick with the main stream data for testing purposes.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

JB-

By your reasoning, if Albert Einstein discussed principles of advanced mathematics, but his words were quoted ver batim in "Vanity Fair", we could just dismiss everything he talks about because he was not quoted in a college textbook.

I'm sure if you considered the information I posted you'd find it agrees with your textbooks.

Unfortunately, you cherry-picked information that only supports your view while ignoring the relevant context of the articles that actually exposed your view as flawed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit