Former Long Time Elder: Why I am still in

by James Jackson 88 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I have only been in this forum for a month now. Is this how you treat newbies everyone?
    You go in attack mode because someone has a different take on an issue than you?

No ones in attack mode..

You agree with the WBT$,that the best place to raise a kid is in the WBT$..

We disagree..

Your in "Defend the WBT$" mode..

Lots of us grew up in the WBT$..

It sucked..We`re telling you it sucked..

We wouldn`t want to repeat the experience..

If you still think the WBT$ is the best place to raise a kid..

You`ll find plenty of support at your local Kingdom Hall..

Everyone there is trained to re-enforce WBT$ thinking..

No Thought Involved..

Just Check your Brain at the Door..
     photo jw_check_brains.jpg

............................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

When the frog has been in the near boiling water for so long, it thinks its a normal place to be. It can't percieve that being out of the near boiling water might give it and its tadpoles a better life. The escaped frogs try to help.

S

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

Im just going to have my child drink this small dose of poison daily...but having them understand the importance of sticking to a routine will teach them responsibility...

and that's a GOOD thing.

;)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

i don't get the sense of attack mode - more like frustration at a missed opportunity...

PS - I'm sure you agree there is a difference between "giving thousands of talks" and "giving the same talk thousands of times"

That's a great comment.

If people seem a bit "STRONG," in many cases it may be that we feel for those kids. Many here were raised in the JW's and know what they speak of. All of us have seen kids damaged to some degree by being raised JW.

Before I was a JW, I was in the U.S. military. Once in a while, our command would take away our weekends off or our evenings or punish the entire unit for the mistakes of a few people. We had this saying: "What are they going to do next- Take away our birthdays?"

Well, when we joined the JW's, and when we force our kids to be JW's, we do indeed take away their birthdays. Such a pity.

• carla
    carla

I don't really understand how anyone could be on this board for any amount of time and see all the heartache, phobias, PTSD and other lifelong problems from growing up in this cult and not want to get their kids out as fast as they can! Raising a child in the jw's is abusive mentally, spiritually, physically and at times sexually and most definitely from a social aspect.

Please protect your child emotionally, socially, physically and spiritually.

I did all I could to protect my kids from ever having to step foot in a kh, they have thanked me for this and recognize it was at times a great sacrifice on my part to do so. I did battle to keep them out but would do it again in a heartbeat.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

James Jackson - Tech49 is the only one that really understands this feed!!! Thank You Jack Harper! I have literally given thousands of talk on how to raise your kids "Watchtower Style". I have only been in this forum for a month now. Is this how you treat newbies everyone? You go in attack mode because someone has a different take on an issue than you?

I apologize to you, James Jackson, if I wrote anything that appeared to attack you personally or your decisions.

With time you will learn that most jWN members are here to offer help and encouragement to others and will be very direct and honest with their opinions. In time you may also change your thinking when you feel that WTBTS indoctrination is putting people and especially children at emotional, mental, financial, and/or physical risk.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

P.S. - Writing and reading posts on JWN can sometimes seem worse then if you are able to have a conversation and get to know people first.

• earthfire
    earthfire

James I'm also sorry if my post upset you. That is most definitely not the intention. It's just that when you grow up in a society of people who are supposed to be God's chosen people and you believe it with all your heart, then you find out it was one lie after another, man that's the most traumatic thing ever. So as Tech49 said, it does take time to change the thinking. There are safe ways to do it and you are yourself new to this process. You are essentially de-programming yourself and your family from being in a doomsday cult. That is a hard pill to swallow but it is a fact. Steve Hassan has a book on the BITE method that you may want to read. There's a lot of help in this forum but we are all in different stages of our journey out. One of the most important things to do in my opinion is to teach your kids critical thinking and let them know that they can ask ANY question about doctrine or whatever without getting into trouble. My dad never allowed any questions whatsoever. He still doesn't, he's happy to have his blinders on.

As for witness kids having better morals, don't believe that for another second. Some of the worst influences were other witnesses, not all, but some. My best friend and influence was worldly. She even called me on it when I was going to eat a holiday cupcake and she meant it! Lol You have to vet all kids but don't limit them to only having witness friends.

We just want to help, you're embarking on a scary and tenuous journey, we truly do understand that.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

i agree with ones here who mentioned children learn in JW to be deceptive about their true selves. While i saw many red flags which should have knocked some sense into me over the years, none of them stand out in my memory as strongly as learning how pervasive, common and accepted-as-normal this is:

It does not matter what anyone does. It only matters that nobody knows about it.

• etna
    etna

Thank you lisaBObeesa, you are spot on. Etna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit