Former Long Time Elder: Why I am still in

by James Jackson 88 Replies latest jw friends

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

A customer on my route with whom I have had some lively debates was his number 1 complaint is that "the Witnesses have so many rules". Last month I agreed with on this issue. He asked why the change, I told him that I have been doing some soul searching. I said : That the WT society and the local congregation should a talk lets say on "Our attitude with people of the World", share what the scriptures says and I feel those in the congregation should decide for themselves had to apply it. Lets face it, some things are "cut and dry", with no wiggle room. But my many things are to be left up to our conscience to decide.

For example our kids in school. We have to tell them:" Do not salute the flag, do not participate in any parties (most), do not join any sports teams, no student counsel, etc".

Then he asked the Big Question: Why are YOU still in? I paused and said: "Because I have a teenage child at home, I have to instill some core principles in his life so hopefully he does not go crazy in his adult years like child 1 did". (We are nowhere as hardcore with this one as we were with the first child). My customer agreed that to instill good principles in children, regardless of which religion, was the moral thing to do!

• designs
    designs

I had the same feeling when my two kids were in High School. I thought staying in the religion at least through HS would give some sense of structure they had grown up with.

I hope your kids value an education and go on to college, you might have to buck some of the locals in your KH but it will make a world of difference in their lives.

• DJS
    DJS

I would suggest reading the previous untitled post regarding whether you need a religion to raise your child with ethics and morals.

• Ding
    Ding

At some point, you may come to believe that some of the "cut and dried" things come from Watchtower teachings that go beyond things written in the Bible.

I think the best way to confront this is to set aside WT literature for awhile and just read the Bible.

I would recommend starting with Galatians and then Romans.

I'm sure you've studied the Bible, but when you realize you don't have to believe everything the WT says about it, you find yourself reading scriptures and thinking, "Whoa! How could I have missed THAT?"

• designs
    designs

In Junior High and High School the friendships formed are really important to how a kid socializes throughout life. If a parent chooses to disrupt that by changing religion, changing where they live or a job it has an impact on the kids. Chose wisely as to how and when those major changes take place.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

Thanks "designs" for the support and advice!!!

• used2beme
    used2beme

Think ours is still young, but I think the way we are teaching him to respect himself and others, and to think how his actions affect everything around him, how others feel, to how he will be disappointed with himself,,are better than the idea of Jah looking in on everything he does.

• Watkins
    Watkins

DJS beat me to it... By the time a child becomes a teenager, parents had better hope they've already instilled moral values. They learn much more from you, the parents, than from strangers in a strange cult. At least they know and can trust you. Do they know - and can they trust - the men of the gb who're making all the arbitrary religious rules? At least they can look up to you as a man of honor, integrity and truthfulness - things the gb is not, and cannot be. I don't think any of those men have kids - why listen to them?!

Why can you not still teach from the Bible, but without the wt-twist, you know - the lies? Sooner or later they will find out about being taught wt lies... and they might hold you responsible.

I wish you and your family the best, whatever happens.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Whilst your intentions are sound, I am not sure that the method is correct. JW children do not end up with better morals, in my experience. A large portion end up leaving the religion, and end up with a lot of anger, confusion, and miss out on a normal upbringing and development of a social circle.

If your child leaves the religion, then they are forced in later life to develop the boundaries that they should have developed during adolescence. When I left, I realised that everything I thought had been dictated by leaders that I no longer trusted. Therefore, I had no idea what my stance was on anything. I am in more 40's and my new friends find me quite interesting in that I behave like I am in my 20's.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I agree, you can instill those things on your own as a parent, as many other parents do. You certainly don't need to teach him the ways of a cult to instill any values.

You're probably teaching him those values anyway because it sounds like your a great parent thinking about your kids the way you do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit