Anyone else an Ex Bethel "volunteer"

by BackseatDevil 127 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dagney
    Dagney

The whole place was sort of depressing, not like the old days. Before everybody was chatty and mildly interested in visitors. That time it was like they all were dodging the swinging blade and none to happy about it, understandably.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

It is depressing... except at Patterson. Patterson was like a f'n resort. I worked on an project there and with everyone smiling I thought at some point someone was going to offer me iced tea.

But yes, the work is harsh and the routine is tenacious.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Jwfacts was in the Australia bethel for awhile. He's told some really good stories on JWN.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Can't wait to read ALL of your story BsD when I get home from work.................I love reading about the REAL experiences of Bethel life & to have a little bit of gayness mixed in as well is just tooo much to look forward to.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I started reading your story from ch 15 and am up to the part where James is getting physio. Tell me, is this story a third person recount of your life, or is it a fictionalised account based on your life?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty
    Well, son... our elder body received this letter from a Brother Bechman that... well, is like a running tally of all your imperfections as a person.

MANNNN I would LOVE to see whats in the letter that followed me!

Julie I understand your wonder if this is a real 1st hand account but trust me I and pretty much most of the cats I went to bethel with have a similar story. Even the injury hits home, had a good friend dislocate his knee playing basketball while I was checking him.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I'm reading your story. Your writing is beautiful, you have such a unique style and perspective.

I was in Sydney Bethel 1991 - 1995. It was what made me realise the religion is not the truth. I volunteered occasionally before signing up, and always found Bethel so depressing. It all seemed so slow and pointless. Why have 400 people just to run a few presses. Any worldly company could have had 10 staff print all the magazines for a fraction of the cost. Yet I applied anyway and got accepted within a month. I felt Bethel would keep my on track, as I was having issues with my faith. I had just graduated with an accounting degree, so they put me in factory cleaning - toilets, floors and windows day after day - to make sure I knew how little regard there was for my skills and to enforce humility upon me. I was moved eventually into waitering, which was much easier to deal with. But by the end of three years I drifted into depression and struggled to keep my thoughts of death.

The place was soul sapping, a cult version of Stepford Wives. Despite many nice people, there was an equal amount of weirdos and the power hungry. Many of the management were pompous and second rate and I could not understand how getting time off for Bethel assignments was more difficult than when I worked for worldly companies. Bethel destroyed what should be the best years of ones life, but at least it opened my eyes, and gave me the foundation to be able to do what I do now to help people leave.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@jwfact - " but at least it opened my eyes, and gave me the foundation to be able to do what I do now to help people leave. "

That is the way i feel about it as well. It is almost as if they ensure that you do not learn any trade during your first 5 years or so there that you can utilize if you left early. They force you to devote the best years of your life doing the most menial of tasks. Once they feel you rely on them for life they may throw you a bone and put you somewhere that isn't so useless as the cleaning department or being a waiter.

Whenever brothers would encourage me to talk to the young brothers about Bethel I would tell them directly, "If you want to go it is up to you, there are alot of thigs you could do. However if you plan on getting married (Like every young single JDub does) I would not suggest you go there because you have to wait 5 or 10 years before you can." LOL

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Reading during my lunch break from chapter 15.

Sheesh...........the bosses of the Wacthtower sure know how to suck the joy out of life don't they?

I would've been so unhappy there.

I tried asking one of the big wigs at a convention meeting concerning volunteering for Bethel what the work schedule was that they expected from their voluteers.

He avoided the question by saying in front of every one there, 'if that is what you are concerned about then we don't want you'.

I felt the LOVE

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

One thing he did drive home was the desparity that exist between departments. If you in the factory (grunt work) you working like a dog. If you in the homes (service work) you get a lil more lax work environment. You in a specialized field (IT electrician) you enjoy a certain freedom that almost brings normalcy to your work at bethel.

Its really F'd up the way the separate and condition you thru the bullshit work assignment they give you. Than you are scrutinized again with your KH assignment. Thankfully I got assigned to a cool hall with only 1 BE (bethel elder) another cat I knew had like 5 BE and 3 of them was on his ass for no reason.

Thanks for the story James best Bethel experience since New boys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit