Anyone else an Ex Bethel "volunteer"

by BackseatDevil 127 Replies latest jw experiences

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

We need a whole separate thread on the people who if we see now are getting an automatic beatdown

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Heres a list of of people on this site who were in Bethel . From another thread

abyss57
    AllTimeJeff
    AndersonsInfo
    Awakened at Gilead
    Balaamsass
    belbab
    Bethelite Elder
    biff_mcfly
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Black Man
    Brad Wilson
    Bro Dan
    Cabasilas
    Chrisjoel
    ClubSandwich
    compound complex former pioneer, elder and Bethelite
    Crisis of Conscience
    cult classic
    cyberjesus
    daniel-P
    darth frosty bethel
    discreet slave
    dissed
    Dogpatch
    dwtnphotog
    elderelite
    exwhyzee
    Fisherman
    fjtoth
    Gamaliel
    Gayle
    gymbob
    hepcat
    huxley2.0
    Intel
    IT Support
    ithinkisee
    j_homebrew
    JeffT
    Jeremy C
    joelbear69
    jschwehm
    jt
    just n from bethel
    jwfacts
    Leavingwt
    Life Is To Short
    lifestooshort
    LittleMac
    LivingTheDream
    lrkr
    mann377
    MC RubberMallet
    MochaLatte
    MrDarkKnight
    mythreesons
    nvrgnbk
    oneairhead
    owenfieldreams
    Pachemu Nyet
    Paulapollos
    Podobear
    puffthedragon
    RayPublisher
    rekless
    Room 215 , ex-Bethelite (department overseer there)
    seenitall
    shadow
    Shawn10538
    slmdf
    sparky1
    TheListener
    The_Present_Truth
    Tom Cabeen
    Uzzah
    Was New Boy
    What-A-Coincidence
    wheres caleb?
    winstonchurchill2.0
    wschroeder
    wunce_wuz
    yareyare
    zengalileo
    jam

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

A young sister from a cong I was in a coupla year's back went to bethel after she got married and pioneered a bit. She was such a two faced, snobby, self righteous bitch and I thought she must have come good and turned nice to get into bethel. Now I know from JWN that she wouldn't have changed at all; actually her personality would help her there. I don't know what her husband was like, only he was a small beige coloured man with a pretty sweet disposition.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@Watchtower-Free you would of been a total hit during the McCarthy trials. LOL!!

I'm just kidding. Thanks so much. :-)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey Devil, how did you reconcile your sexuality with your Organisation career goals? I notice your story foregrounds your sexuality above all else, and Jehovah and the whole ritual involving him like prayer and bible reading is marginalised or silenced. I was a convert so I chose the religion, and for me, it was Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah all the way. You, as a born in, seem more like a regular guy stuck in the 'culture' of Jehovah and climbing up a corporate ladder in your story, rather than one of those fanatical JWs who live and breathe Watchtower.

I don't mean the above points as criticism: perhaps you really were a bit of a WT fanatic but chose to make your story focus more on your sexuality.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I have the bethel entrants manual somewhere. I posted it 3-4 yrs ago but the link is dead.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

Well, I think it's time for me to start reading , thanks for sharing your story with us.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Brooklyn 1983 - 1985

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@Julia Orwell That's actually a very good question. I had to think on it. LOL.

Growing up a "golden boy" of sorts, I gained an arrogance that, to this day i feel shameful for. I was brash, would say some of the most awful things to people just to shock them because I thought I was untouchable. And I was. I considered sexuality something... fun, a past time, a minor blip on the screen of my life, and for a long time I thought I would be married, have kids, and then never have sex with my wife, and on occasion fuck around with some guy. That's how I reconciled it. And I made peace with that. That was going to be my life.

Being raised in the "truth" everything regarding function in the congregation was automatic. I would comment without thinking, I could do field service in my sleep - read who the person was by the time they said "hi", give impromptu talks talks flawlessly, I was never nervous during assembly parts (Although the talk I gave at the Astrodome one time was a little overshelming), but even drafting was a no-brainer. My sexuality was the only time i had to THINK and I thought something was wrong with me... I was a deviant, but come to find out for a normal guy that age sexuality is ALWAYS on the brain... lol.

Ollie (in the story) really f'ed me over because I was moved in a way I never knew I could be, I didn't know that even existed. But by the time that happened, I already had the Bethel mechanism in play. To think about sex AND the be overpowered with emotion is (as any guy will tell you) somewhat frightening lol. I can say honestly that with bethel, it wasn't reconciled at all. I honestly did not know what I was going to do.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

Holy crap, this story is so good, already in chapter 5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit