Anyone else an Ex Bethel "volunteer"

by BackseatDevil 127 Replies latest jw experiences

• Black Man
    Black Man

SoSoConfused: I knew Aurelius Ransom and his wife very well. Surprised that he is not at the house anymore. For awhile, he was putting out hints that he wanted to go into the circuit work eventually. Aurelius was OK (could sometimes be a little arrogant), but his brother in law Michael Watts, who was also there at the time, was so COOL. He left shortly after he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Watts is back in Michigan, and was getting around on crutches and a wheelchair for awhile, but he and his wife were truly nice people.

And ahh yes - I remember the haircut issues with black brothers well! After they jacked my haircut up, I would go on my lunch hour to a "secular" barber shop on Fulton Street (called Nappy Roots) to get my hair cut. Got lectured for it eventually, but even they knew my deep seated anger at having my haircut jacked up by Bethel.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

black man: I also tried going to a secular barber but a brother named Jamie Wright told me that such a practice could possibly lead to disease because of filthy conditions of worldly people... Then he told Carlos west my overseer and I was strongly counseled against it lol.

I haaaaaaated the way they destroyed my hairline. I was 20 years old looking like lebron james

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

BM and Soso, that is absolutly insane the way you were treated about the haircuts. The hysteria about anyone other than the JW is hard for me to even comprehend.

• Black Man
    Black Man

SoSoConfused: Ha! I so relate to that!! I also knew Carlos West as well. Went to hall for a minute and was in my circuit as well. LOVED to hear himself talk, which came out in the form of him trying to counsel you.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

BM & SoSo, I feel so bad about bitching about the hair in my story... I mean roommate and I both had long black hair... we just wanted someone who knew how to use scissors - we weren't really asking a lot, you know, an inch off at most. I made it so dramatic, but I didn't have NEAR the trouble you two did (or any black brother it sounds like).

And you two were in Brooklyn Bethel... like... and established home. It would seem like they would want everyone representing JWs to NYC looking their best.

I feel so humbled by my menial little hair story because we just went to this nice lady in New Paltz every third Wednesday to avoid all these stories we were hearing. We didn't actually experience it.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Yes, unfortunately, served nearly five years overseas on various branch locations, always living in temporary barracks.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Funny you guys mention the 4 year "rule". Remember talking to my dad about a decade ago and he was talking about turning down bethel because of that rule. Seems that my Mom told him she wouldn't wait four years for him, so he decided not to go. I wouldn't be here today if Pops had decided turn mom down...

• lrkr
    lrkr

WTF 91-98

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@lrkr We overlap time frames.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

BSD, reading your story since yesterday, well done!

It's so well written and brutally honest. Thank you for putting it out there.

I never even visited Bethel, but holy crap...what a sick, culty, compound.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit