Anyone else an Ex Bethel "volunteer"

by BackseatDevil 127 Replies latest jw experiences

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

They reaaaaalllly wanted me to go for temporary work. I declined every time.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@darth - were you at brooklyn? If so where did ya work if you dont mind me asking? I was there in mid 90's

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yep I was at brooklyn I worked in the bindry and in the garage

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

hmm I worked in 30 cleaning and office furniture, however my home away from home was the basketball court.

I shall follow this thread closely in case more interesting info pops up LOL. One of my roommates was one of the guys that got kicked out becasue of that group of guys who were using the bathrooms and refusing to flush the toilets causing them to be clogged in 124 LOL. They made a big stink out of it and he got sent home

If you were in the garage do you remember the pudgy white guy named wayne barber I believe

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Just grabbing a few minutes whilst having my lunch BsD.

You have a powerful story to tell & you tell it very well.

Being raised a JW AND being gay is bound to make us feel insecure as we don't fit in to either world.

I've found I'm happier now I've faded.

Take care

Hoab

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

The name doesn't ring a bell. Of course I have forgotten a lot of the names of people I work with there.

Ah yes the basketball court and signing your name up for the next game. There are plenty of stories to be told there as well.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

yea... I use to play all the time with Joseph emery/kenny and berrick. We were playing in the evening and we would sneak in the illegal dunks. I got caught by that idiot Dennis carey and got kicked out the gym for 3 months. I still want to beat his face in

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

'I want to beat his face in'......................I love it

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Was drinking as bad in Brooklyn as it was the Farm? I mean... we're at the f'n FARM... there's really not much else to do on your off time. lol.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@Julia Orwell there really aren't 1000 rules. You're given a handbook with a list of rules, some guidlines, and the rest you have to figure out as you go. Using the sociology that darth frosty explains (and to some extent exwhyzee's story as well) over time, one would create their own rules over time. collectively, many people have many of the same "rules" for many of the same reason. It's actually a very interesting lesson in herd adaptation in a suppressinve setting.

The Bethel handbook (which I tried to steal) was taken back, but it onle contained about one page of specific rules regarding behavior (no massaging in the underwear for example) and the room upkeep. That's it really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit