If you believe in Gods laws why dont you go live in Saudi Arabia ?

by mP 145 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Recovering-

If you sent me a pm I'm not seeing it.

Thanks.

• recovering
    recovering

This is what I said in my PM. When you use terms associated with a particular science ie statistics it leads the reader to believe that what you are writing can be backed up by using the reference science and it's methodology. Although you later said you could be wrong (I commend you for this) Your original statement contained no such disclaimer.

When ever you speak in per capita you are speaking in statistical terms. Per capita is a statistical ratio. I included the definition in order to enlighten you not to argue. You will weaken your position when you use facts not in evidence. I in fact agree with some of your hypothesis, however use facts that can be supported in order to prove your point. The statistics that i quoted where for all guns long guns and hand guns.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AkW0KDbyUmTFkAfZ376wObGbvZx4?p=gun+ownership+in+canada&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-748

Gun Ownership in Canada: 1 Gun For Every 4 Canadians

Canada is a frozen wasteland filled with Ketchup Chips, hockey players, and mounted police.

Yet, like its big brother to the south, it is also a country filled with guns

The Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC) reported that there are more than 7.6 million registered firearms in Canada.

To crunch the numbers, that equates to about one gun for every four Canadians

.... Yet those numbers would potentially increase if researchers were to account for the illegal guns in Canada. Firearms expert Gary Mauser, a professor at Simon Fraser University, estimates that the actual total number of guns (including those illegally imported) is somewhere between 12 million and 15 million. Again, only 7.6 million are registered.

• recovering
    recovering

I refer back to my original statistics (you just proved my point) 1 gun to 4 canadians represents a rate of gun ownership of roughly one third what the rate of gun ownership in the US is.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, give this another try....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

Nine out of ten Americans have a gun. (88.8/100)

Three out of ten Canadians have a gun. (30.8/100). About a third of the gun ownership of the United States.

I live in the middle of rifle country. Lots of game and lots of hunters around here.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Possibly, if you ignore this point:

Yet those numbers would potentially increase if researchers were to account for the illegal guns in Canada.

-----

I'm not a statistician so I won't debate these numbers as if I am an authority.

As Mark Twain said:

"there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics".

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, then you have to compare apples to apples. How many illegal guns are in the US?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I have not looked at gun statistics in a long time.

That's why I qualified my comment with "it is my understanding".

Since the issue of gun ownership in Canada and the USA was way off topic, I didn't see much point in doing an in-depth study and derailing the thread.

My original point still stands:

gun ownership has little correlation to crime. Canadians view violence, especially with guns, much differently than Americans.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Well, then you have to compare apples to apples. How many illegal guns are in the US?

Most likely a lot.

And I'm not defending gun violence in the USA nor am I contending with any of the statistics and source material you've posted.

I agree with you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

CountryLow TotalHigh TotalLow per 100High per 100
    US250'000'000 290'000'00082.295.3
    Canada7'900'000 12'000'00024.537.2

Canada ranks thirteenth in the world ranking of guns per capita. Hunting rifles I understand. We are still a pretty wild country. The US is at the top of the list. Canada isn't any where near the US when it comes to "swimming in guns" registered or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit